Author Topic: Today's shoot.  (Read 2617 times)

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 166
Today's shoot.
« on: August 04, 2019, 05:56:22 PM »
Today was Thumper's turn at the range, along with a couple Ruger Flattops. See the thread about Buffalo Rifle  powder for that load, these are the other 4 that were shot today. No wind, upper 70's low 80's temp.
I can't say enough good things I'm seeing with this rifle and IMR 4198. This group is 24.0 grains over a .458 CheyCast 350 FN Coated bullet. I'm really liking this powder. Absolutely no leftover residue, brass comes out pretty much just as shiny as going in.

Next up is 45.0 gr of IMR4895. This was actually the 1st load tried. 5 shots, 4 holes. Now I know I ain't that bad a shot! 1 Hole is just a tinsy wincy microscopic bigger that the others. Good Load, but there are alot more unfired grains of powder leftover than I care for.

Varget is up next, 1st time I've ever tried it. Bought it for the 86, thought I'd give it a try. 40 grains, not bad, but not as good as others, probably won't bother with it again.

Lastly is 49.0 of H4831SC (short cut). Another one that left a lot of leftover grains of powder in the bore. Probly won't bother with this one again either.

Recoil for all load I think were about the same, didn't notice anything abnormal. I did have 2 FTF, so the mainspring problem is still lurking about, but at least it's not falling off every 2 shot's like before. Might have to grab a .010 shim from work for under the tension screw.
That's my report for today, hope all is well with my fellow 76er's.
King Medallion

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Today's shoot.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 07:05:57 PM »
thanks for sharing Mr. King!!  Nice shooting!!  Think you are onto a real keeper load in that first one.

Keep us posted as you test more.

P.B.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 08:27:21 PM »
 I vote # 1,, good shooting,, I shoot a lot of H-4198.

smok'm if ya' got'm ,,Hootmix.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:36:38 PM »

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 166
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 10:49:29 AM »
Today was another decent day, got a bit windy towards the end, but results weren't bad. 2 different loads with 22.0 2400. 1st with 1/3 peanut filler, 2nd with TP filler. quite a difference. I could see the TP blasting out the bore as I shot them.

Trail Boss load was very accurate, powder puff load. 11.5 of Trail Boss.

Got too windy to shoot after this, and pissing rain, so had to pack it up
There was another load that I will start another thread on, because it had some negative contents.
King Medallion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com