Author Topic: Local Gun Show  (Read 900 times)

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Local Gun Show
« on: December 05, 2021, 12:43:39 PM »
Went to a local gun show today and there was a table that had several 86's and an original 76 in 45/60. Very dark wood, but overall in great shape. Full length 28" barrel. The buttstock looked so short. I ask to hold it, and levered it, very smooth. Asking price was $4000. At another gun store on Friday that had another original 76 with a button mag in 45/60, all original they claimed. At $5600. asking price I didn't bother to ask to hold it. Just wondered it those are ball park priced for original 76's?
King Medallion

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Local Gun Show
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 04:51:58 PM »
King:
From what I have seen here--like at the Fall show in Kalispell--yes, that is fairly darn close.  Those old ones are getting scarcer  and scarcer.

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5904
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 12:00:52 PM »
I think those prices are in the retail ballpark.  Of course a cash offer below the list may get attention.  Take a look at the Guns International 1876 rifles link.  It's fun to browse in any case.  Like anything else, if a rifle is priced fairly for its condition, it will sell.  I think it's pretty hard to find any decent original 1876 below $2500-3000 these days.  A dug up one will go for $500-1000.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/winchester-rifles-model-1876.c509_p1_o6.cfm
"There are a few things they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:42:32 PM »

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 01:34:08 PM »
My wallet say's "Stick to the Uberti's!"
King Medallion

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 08:26:29 PM »
King:
You got that right.  I have seen some absolutely beautiful '76's but can only foam at the mouth when i see them.  The prices are way out of my league.  I will stick with the one that I got and that is a Uberti. When I first got it, I had alot of problems with it but it was not the fault of the rifle rather the folks who handled it and that was worked out later to every body concerned.  i wrote that up a long time ago so it is in the past.  The only real thing that I did was to scrape off that crappy finish on the wood and put on a hand-rubbed oil finish that turned out great.  So, to make a long story short, my rifle really does what it is supposed to do and behaves alot!  I went through alot of different powders and the ones that i finally worked the best are the ones that i use now and that is the Swiss black powder and 2400 rifle powder.The 2400 load I got out of Ken water's book and have had nothing but good luck with it also.  So, I guess that the bottom line here is that if you cannot afford one of the originals then the Uberti is the way to go. Sorry about takingup alotof time here but it needed to said.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 08:48:55 PM »
Original 76's (and 86's also) are very rare downunder - we had nothing those days that needed more than a 73 or 92 to kill it. Seen a couple of 76's advertised in 40 years of lookin but never got to handle one. A good shootable 1886 came through the LGS about 6 years ago, coulda got it reasonable I think (was in the shop when the guy brought it in) but opened my yapper and told em what it was likely worth = they got 4K for it and didnt have it long. (cheap I think).

I'm out of touch with prices - imagine a new Uberti 76 would cost 3K our money (maybe more) I accumulate a lot of stuff with the intention of shooting have no interest in collecting so the repros are fine.   .   

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 10:15:19 PM »
I must say, seeing it sitting there amongst all the other rifles on the table, I zeroed in on it so easily. One, Leverguns are all I really look for. Two, the thing was HUGE! Just Huge. The only thing comparable was a couple old side by sides at the end of the table. I marveled at how small the buttstock looked compared to the rest of the gun, but hoisting it up to my shoulder was smooth and comfy. The action was also very smooth. Wife said she shoulda taken a picture, kinda wish she did. There were 4 86's there too, 3 in 33WCF and one older one in 38/56. That one look rather large too. nice shape, but still expensive.
King Medallion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com