Author Topic: 44 s&w American reloading question about 41 special brass.  (Read 1414 times)

Offline HamptonBogs45

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 110635
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
44 s&w American reloading question about 41 special brass.
« on: December 05, 2021, 02:30:34 AM »
Hello all, for those that reload 44 s&w American, I am just getting into it, I see everyone mentions using trimmed 41 magnum brass to make brass for the 44 s&w American. I don’t see any mention of 41 special cases being used. Is that because it’s newer and wasn’t around yet so the old forum posts I’m reading it wasn’t available? I see 41 special brass available everywhere in stock but not 41 magnum. So it’d be much easier to get the special. From looking at the dimensions for 41 special, the cases are still longer than the American so there’s room to trim still. Is there any reason why I can’t use the special versus the magnum? It would be much less trimming using the special. Also, any bullets moulds available? I see the buffalo arms and old west bullets moulds are out of stock. Thanks!
“Life’s hard, it’s harder if you’re stupid.” -John Wayne

“Who’s the fella owns this sh*thole?”-William Munny

“You gonna pull those pistols? Or whistle Dixie?”-Josey Wales

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
Re: 44 s&w American reloading question about 41 special brass.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 05:33:25 AM »
Hello HamptonBogs45,

I can see no reason not to use the .41 Special case.
Checked on Old West Bullet Molds, out of stock.
Maybe a mold from Accurate Molds.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline David Battersby

• Very Active Citizen
  • Smokeless powder is a passing fad .
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 09:43:48 AM »
   The 41 Special is listed everywhere I look as a WILDCAT , non standardized cartridge with no production guns available.  There have been custom manufactured firearms in this cartridge, but no factory guns.
 So the only reason I can see to not use the 41 Special case would be the rarity and cost.

IF you are going to cut down a lot of 41 magnum cases I can very highly recommend the  RCBS 3 Way case trimmer . I recently cut down a few hundred , long 38-55 cases to fit my rifle. After trying with a standard case trimmer I tried the Three Way Cutter head. It performed as advertised. Trimmed, deburred  and chamfered the cases.
https://www.rcbs.com/case-processing/trim/trim-pro-3-way-cutter/860.html
John Moses Browning and Teddy Roosevelt, we need you again !
In the days of old when men were bold and a quarter was still worth a dime.

Advertising

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 10:11:07 AM »
Grafs has Starline .41 special brass $30 for a bag of 100.   I use it to load .440 Argentine, which is just what the Argentines chose to call the .44 American dimensioned cartridge they used in their Nagant revolvers.  I use an Accurate mold, OWBM heel crimp die, and a mix of 41 mag and .44 special Lee dies to load.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 05:34:09 PM »
I load what is essentially. 44 S&W American for a rolling block that was originally .44 rimfire. Its been converted to centerfire, which is the same as .44 S&WA. Bernie at Old West also sells the bullets, as well as the mold. His collet crimp die is great. Either brass will work. What gun are you loading for?
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline HamptonBogs45

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 110635
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 10:29:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. So now I know I can use the 41 special cases and just need to wait on a mould from old west. I’ve been looking for smith and wesson model 3 American in 44 Russian for awhile. Haven’t been able to find one but found one in 44 American at a gunshow this past weekend. Now that I see It’s viable to reload that cartridge I wanted to get it and worked out a deal with the owner to get it the next day. It locked up tight, bore was excellent and had tons of bluing left. Also came with a period holster and a copy of the page and photo it was on in a smith & wesson book. I’m not sure what book yet. I went to meet the gentleman the next day and his table was empty. Someone he knew said he left for a family emergency. We didn’t exchange contact information so I hope he’s at the next show there in February so I can get the gun.
“Life’s hard, it’s harder if you’re stupid.” -John Wayne

“Who’s the fella owns this sh*thole?”-William Munny

“You gonna pull those pistols? Or whistle Dixie?”-Josey Wales

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com