Author Topic: Reloading Setup  (Read 2887 times)

Offline henryluc

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reloading Setup
« on: November 08, 2021, 03:20:48 AM »
 I used reloading after a long absence and I was wondering what reloading setup would be best if you are looking to quickly load between 300 to 500 rounds in a session? TIA

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Reloading Setup
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 06:19:30 AM »
I don't think there a better option for the price,  LEE PRECISION Classic Turret Press (Red).  Mine was around $100  new a few years ago.  Spare turrets for you other calibers were $9-10 each,

Now with Covid pricing in place, I'm seeing  $137, spare turrets about $15   

https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-Classic-Turret-Press/dp/B003BWTF1E/ref=pd_sbs_6/141-9691863-5467768?pd_rd_w=V0JaT&pf_rd_p=a8064901-fa56-4ccb-8289-d246cf57993b&pf_rd_r=SJSCCANXAHKXP2K19TGJ&pd_rd_r=68595fc6-1a09-4586-87a2-f932c62537b2&pd_rd_wg=sgP9V&pd_rd_i=B07QL3747L&psc=1

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline David Battersby

• Very Active Citizen
  • Smokeless powder is a passing fad .
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 07:42:53 AM »
Here is another vote for the Lee Classic Turret
I have had mine for years (10?) and have loaded thousands of rounds of 357 Magnum, 44-40, 45 Colt, 38-55 and 45-70. It is far superior to a single stage press without the "Blue Press" price. I shoot lever action silhouette. The ammo that I produce on the Lee Classic Turret is accurate enough to shoot master class scores.   I have in the years since purchasing the press updated firearms sights, casting equipment.....but I have never considered upgrading from the Lee Classic Turret.  It does what I need , It does it well and quickly enough for me.

On a side note: I purchased a second Pro Auto Disk powder measure. Knowing how to braze made a "copper hopper" and load 44-44 with black powder.  I use two powder measure risers and can trickle the powder into the case by watching it . It works, and again is accurate and easy!
John Moses Browning and Teddy Roosevelt, we need you again !
In the days of old when men were bold and a quarter was still worth a dime.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:35:26 AM »

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 08:22:23 AM »
Another vote for the Lee Turret [and there is a 550 on the bench too]. Rugged, simple, what's not to like?
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 08:39:56 AM »
Well... I've loaded on a Lee Turret (converted from 3 to 4 hole) for over 20 years.  I load a number of cartridges on it with Lee dies, and the caliber changes are incredibly fast.  I do load a bunch of calibers.  So I'm usually doing 100 round batches.  500 in a session would be brutal for me (I also hand prime with an RCBS unit).  A year ago I bought used Dillon 550 and now I can do 500 in a session.  Still using the Turret for lower volume calibers.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 09:46:16 AM »

Nah.  None of the above.  Big Blue all the way.  All of my progressives are Dillon and I went with the most complete set-up available at the time.  I load on TWO Dillon 650s.  I consider all of the safety features such as Primer alarm, Powder alarm, Lo-Powder alarm to be essential.  Combine that with the case feeder and loading is effortless.  I will however couch my use of TWO 650s.  I’m lazy and didn’t like changing over from one primer size to the other.  Whilst grousing about that of an evening, my sweetheart said “So shut up about it and just get another Press”.  Far be it for me to argue.

Oh, I can load three to five hundred rounds in twenty to thirty minutes.

A CAVEAT:  Dillon is NOT cheap.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 11:23:43 AM »
I run two 550B’s and two T-mag II’s. No way would I do 300-500 at one sitting. Maybe 100-200. Tried a Pacific auto index shotgun loader, hated it. Folks talk about how fast they can crank the handle but conveniently forget about the prep needed and the racket of all those rds dropping into the blue tray make and don’t the case and bullet feeds make noise too? I’ve also seen guys try to shoot stages with upside down primers or no powder so fast reloading is not necessarily a good thing.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 11:32:57 AM »
... I’ve also seen guys try to shoot stages with upside down primers or no powder so fast reloading is not necessarily a good thing.
That is true.  I eliminate those issues with my 550 by putting all loaded ammo into boxes with primer up so easy to see, and I have lights that are made for the press that allow me to eyeball the powder in every round before placing a bullet.  My intention is to buy one of those for the Turret as well if I can ever get around to it.  Of course powder check dies can help, but not on a 550 unless seating/crimping at one station.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 12:44:10 PM »
All Primo reason to go Dillon , except the price tag

My assumption the OP was interested in getting back in the water (so to speak) with a minimum expense.

Hence , the LEE  Classic Turret   $139.00 vs  $600.00 

The Dillon is the big he Bull Cadillac, if you are into producing thousands of rounds , even top of the line for the casual reloaded.

The LEE is a lot of press for the up front outlay  :)

That's my 2 centavos   

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 01:26:03 PM »
...the LEE is a lot of press for the up front outlay  :)

That's my 2 centavos

Absolutely!  Since I stay with and take care of my mom, I am 90 miles from home and my reloading gear for about 90% of the time, so I got the Dillon to set up at a brother's house who lives near my mom.  I bought it used in August of 2020 just before things got crazy with Dillon, and got what I thought was a fantastic deal.  With dies and conversions for 45acp, 45 colt, .357, and 9mm plus a lot of accessories, I paid $600.  It is very old (1986) and I have to baby it somewhat as I load, but so far so good!  I know I should send it to Dillon for a refurb, and will get around to that some day.

Main reason I recommend Dillon to the OP is due to his mention of 300-500 per session.  I have always been a bargain hunter, but I'm at a point in my life where I now have more money than time.  But I would never give up my Turret!

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 01:47:23 PM »
Guess I’m going to upset someone and I’ll apologize now but I recently read this comment on one of the forums that I visit that stated that ‘Lee was the Harbor Freight of reloading’ or words to that effect. I’ve never owned one of their presses but have had other Lee products and believe it to be a fairly accurate statement.
Another quick story. When my father inlaw passed an uncle gave my wife this suggestion. When you are looking for a casket at the funeral home ask to see the most expensive one and then the least expensive one. Then go up one from the least and buy that one. That’s what my wife did. Everyone was fine with her choice except the funeral home.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 05:47:29 AM »
Well... I've loaded on a Lee Turret (converted from 3 to 4 hole) for over 20 years.  I load a number of cartridges on it with Lee dies, and the caliber changes are incredibly fast.  I do load a bunch of calibers.  So I'm usually doing 100 round batches.  500 in a session would be brutal for me (I also hand prime with an RCBS unit).  A year ago I bought used Dillon 550 and now I can do 500 in a session.  Still using the Turret for lower volume calibers.
How do you convert to a four hole from a three hole?
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 06:21:17 AM »
wM1

You could double these dimensions  ;D    No ?

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 07:55:13 AM »
You ain’t right man.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2021, 08:31:53 AM »
 :D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2021, 09:04:37 AM »

Hey Biltmore  ;)

When I speak of loading Three to Five Hundred in half an hour . . . I ain’t going particularly fast.  Just kinda cruising along.  I once loaded 1100 in an hour but it wasn’t much fun.

The fun things you mention seeing happen to others is why I added all the bells and whistles to my machines.  I, along with Abilene consider Dillon the Cadillac of loading machines you betcha.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2021, 10:07:17 AM »
In the cas club that i belong to there are a couple of shooters who are too busy to brew their own ammo so they were buying remanufactured ammo from another shooter. At every shoot there would be a problem of some sort. I’m pretty sure he was using a progressive. I only need 200 rds [counting sg] a month to keep me in ammo for the next match. 1000/ hour is a commercial ammo output besides as many different cas and non cas calibers as I reload for [14] it would be foolish to tie up my limited primers/powder in a single caliber of ammo that sits on the shelf waiting to be used. Dillons are the bomb but my upgraded T-mags will keep up.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2021, 10:39:06 AM »
Gentlemen,
Bunk agrees with Coffinmaker. My 550B's are set up one for small primer one for large primer. Both were used machines and between the two I have a little over the cost of one.
I am not a FAST loader, because haste makes waste (squibs), but will turn out rounds quickly enough.
FYI my first reloading "press" was a Lyman ideal tong tool graduated to a Pacific "C" tool and improved on up over the past years,
Been at this game for a very very long time. Remember Hi Vel 2?
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2021, 12:57:12 PM »
I started out with a LEE Classic Turret press in the single stage mode, charging and priming off press. After I learned the basics of reloading and felt comfortable, I started priming and charging on press and could do around 180-200 rounds per hour. I loaded nine different calibers ranging from .380 ACP to .45-70 Govt. On the LEE Classic press it is very easy to change calibers. I use the LEE classic for shorter runs of ammo.

I was able to pickup a like new used Dillon 550. The Dillon really came in handy when my son and grandson shot with me as I furnished the ammo. I only loaded .38 Special on the Dillon and could easily load over 300 rounds per hour.

The LEE Classic Turret and the Dillon 550 are both great presses IMHO. I'm not looking for speed, just reliable ammo.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2021, 01:12:39 PM »
wM1
It was a number of years ago and Lee offered an upgrade kit.  It had a new top steel piece and new rotating rod I think.  I don't see that kit now on their website but they say they have parts for all the presses, so a call to them would let you know which parts are needed.  After I went to 4-hole, I added a factory crimp die to most calibers.  If I had not done that, I had considered just removing the decap/sizing die from each turret and having some separate 3-hole turrets with nothing but resizers on them, because I do that step separately first and then hand prime anyway, before going back to the press.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com