Author Topic: Pepperbox!  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Pepperbox!
« on: May 09, 2021, 04:21:28 PM »
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Pepperbox!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 05:59:41 PM »
I think he is too close to the chronograph and getting false readings. I seriously doubt he is really getting over 1200fps with a round ball, 20gr of powder in that short barrel. Nevertheless, it is a cool video and great to see one being fired.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 07:23:26 PM »
I've got an H&A pepperbox that I thought about for matches,  but I think Twain was overly-optimistic about accuracy with one.  I'm not sure I could hit the floor with it if I fired it pointing straight down!
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:00:37 PM »

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 05:15:15 AM »
I've got a Remington Elliot 4 barrel pepperbox.  Its a neat little gun. I made a video shooting it a while back. At card table distance it is plenty accurate.

"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 06:26:23 AM »
With due respect ,  his method of loading is a fools folly 

Load a capped piece is a recipe for disaster , not to mention the ills of dry firing ( as he mentions ) but does so himself.
I also agree with ndnchf at that range the chronograph was fooled by the billowing BP smoke more that likely.

I enjoyed the video with that dubiety.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 08:17:58 AM »

:)  PLUS ONE to Major 2  >:(

This guy is an IDIOT.  A scraggly beard, Aussie bush shirt and hat do not an authority make.  I also noticed everything in his Possibles Bag, including the Bag, are new.

I find it annoying, as soon as some fool learns to post a video, they suddenly think they have become an educator and expert.  Expert - Noun - Ex=a has been;  Spert = a drip under pressure.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 09:28:58 AM »
Funny that we all get similar youtube recommendations.    I watched this on Friday and cringed when he loaded it.   I did enjoy the shooting as I have been fascinated with pepperboxes since watching Rooster Cogburn. 
"I got me a pepperbox here.  This thing shoots 6 times, sometimes all at once.   It is called a Lady's Companion.  That's what it'll be when I'm gone.  In Fort Smith, there is a sportin' lady named Big Faye.  She was shot twice with this thing, but she dressed out at 290 so none of the bullets found their way to the vitals.  But against ordinary people it gives good service."
I have one (2 actually, but 2nd one is mainly for parts) of the Classic Arms kit guns, not good and not a double action.   I also have this one.   It was made in Spain and called a Goldrush pepperbox.  It is 22 and my problem now is finding balls to fit it.  I did find that most of my caps drag as it is shot, but working on finding better fitting ones.   I had planned on shooting it at the NCOWs double action side match 2 weeks ago, but had to leave early and was worried a bit about the cap drag.   I am still on the look out for a reasonable priced original that is in shooting condition, and/or one of the Hoppes kit ones from the 70s.    Mine loads well and caps easily with a straight capper.   Issue is remembering which is the empty barrel to not cap. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com