Author Topic: New Acquisitions - The Open Top Sickness continues....  (Read 2841 times)

Online Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: New Acquisitions - The Open Top Sickness continues....
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2021, 05:46:24 PM »
Well, I swapped out the 5.5" Schofield cylinder for a new .45 Colt one from VTI, so I was happy with that. However, I just never did like the fit and feel of the fat faux ivory grips in the 1851 frame on the 5.5".  The grips never fit the frame right, and compared to the 7.5" with its 1860 Army grip, just felt wrong.  One of the thinks I prefer the OTs and conversions for is the 1860 grip.  Contacted Lisa at VTI and got the last complete 1860 grip frame set they had.  Came yesterday, so I put it on this morning.  Now they both feel the same in the hand.

Went from this:

To this:

On another note, the 5.5's previous owner, besides botching the grips up, had replaced the hammer spring with aq really light one.  The feel was totally different from the 7.5, and gave light strikes.  I had a factory one in my spare parts box that I popped in, and now the hammer pull on both is the same.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: New Acquisitions - The Open Top Sickness continues....
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2021, 11:38:37 PM »
That makes a nice matched pair. It's good that you have them to your liking, now. You should be able to sell that navy grip assy. Is that a Uberti or Pietta?

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com