Author Topic: Temptation finally got the best of me.  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
Temptation finally got the best of me.
« on: April 11, 2020, 03:19:03 PM »
Well I finally broke down. If you look at something long enough finally you will give in to the temptation. Honestly I have been looking at the Standard Manufacturing single action revolver before they became available back when they were thinking the price would have been about $400 less than what they ended up being when they finally became available. Even though they ended up pricier than what originally thought I still think in todays current market it is a reasonable price considering how they are made. I know they experienced a few issues in the beginning but I believe they have listened and responded to their critics.

One thing I did question and some may think it being picky but my new revolver did not come in the shipping rug I have seen with others. It instead came shipped in only the plastic bubble sleeve inside the box. I would really like to have the cloth rug and have requested one. I do hope they will send me one. 
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Temptation finally got the best of me.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 10:51:47 PM »

:D  Lou   :D

Now THAT is a really really good looking Single Action.  I only like two length(s) of barrel on a Single Action ... 3 1/2 Inches or 4 3/4 Inches.  I'd actually prefer a 4 Inch gun, but nobody makes that except on very special order.  Yours however, Is a really really good looking Single Action.  Good On Ya.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 12:16:40 AM »
Well, DANG!  (hashtag dang, I think).

That looks like it will balance just dandy for tacking up wanted posters!

Did you have to wait for it or in stock?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:17:00 PM »

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 02:34:46 PM »
Abilene, when I ordered they told me about six weeks with the slight possibility of a sooner date. About a week ago I inquired if the situation with the virus might possibly affect their ability to hold to their current schedule and they replied back that it would not and that my revolver was scheduled to be completed the end of this month. I was very much surprised when I received and email from UPS day before yesterday telling me my revolver was out for delivery. So to answer your question it took about four weeks to get mine. I have seen some on the internet that are available for immediate delivery that have the two-piece grips but I wanted the one-piece fancy Walnut. I also ordered directly from Standard. I know there are other dealers who are selling them.

Coffinmaker, thanks for you kind remarks. I also like the 3 1/2" and 4" barrels as well. To be honest I like them all but really never cared for the Buntlines or those under 3 1/2".

If this revolver shoots as well as my all USA USFA's I will put it right up there on equal ground with them as one of my favorites.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 09:56:05 AM »

Well??   Well???   Well, Have you??  Have you shot it yet   :o :o  Weak minds really want to know   ::)

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 06:56:25 PM »
Now that’s a handsome hand gun! Only it needs another 3/4” of barrel. ::)
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 11:16:03 PM »
Coffinmaker, I went to the range day before yesterday and shot a new Uberti 7 1/2" barreled revolver I had recently purchased, one of my USFA 4 3/4" revolvers, and the new Standard. I did most of my shooting at about 15 yards with a semi steady rest. Wish I didn't shake so much. For me they all shot about the same. Wish I would have taken one of my 4 3/4" Ubertis so I would have had all three alike for my comparison. With the USFA and Standard I shot about the same size group 3 to 3 1/2", the Standard shooting slightly left and the USFA shooting slightly low. With the Uberti I had one flyer and it shot slightly high. The Standard is a keeper in my book and I am sure shoots much better than these shaky hands are capable of. I will go again soon the weather permitting and will have a better rest and will have all three revolvers with equal barrel lengths and do more shooting. I really think I can do better with a better rest than I had so I can see exactly how they each shoot in comparison.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 04:05:45 AM »
Greetings My Dear Lou

Beautiful Pistol!
How does the firing pin look on your new Standard? Di they wale on it with a mallet or is it one of the later models?

Yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline GSP7

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 12:12:43 PM »
So its a .44 special . Good choice  ;D

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 02:06:52 PM »
Greetings My Dear Lou

Beautiful Pistol!
How does the firing pin look on your new Standard? Di they wale on it with a mallet or is it one of the later models?

Yhs
Prof Marvel

Prof Marvel,

It is one of the later models I believe because the firing pin looks perfect. Not ground off on the underside like I guess they did on some of the earlier models to prevent the denting of the recoil shield insert. Looks perfectly centered. I believe they have remedied that situation and the grips are extremely well fitted.

The serial number is only 26 days from my birth date (month and day).

If there is anything lacking it is the manufacturers barrel roll marking on the top of the barrel. To me it is not as sharp (deep) and clear as it is on USFA's. At least it isn't on my particular revolver. It is readable. Just not sharp and easily readable. Not deep enough in my opinion.

Other than that in my humble opinion it is of at least equal quality, not better but equal, to the all USA made USFA revolvers. I like it and am glad I bought one and I would do it again with no regrets.

GSP7, sorry, no it is a .45 Colt. I don't think they are currently building them in .44 Special although I have read where a few guys have received them in .44-40. I think I also saw one on one of the auction sites.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 12:20:35 PM »
Very nice Lou. Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Dave

Offline ccarley

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 05:29:01 PM »
Beautiful, sounds like a good enough shooter and I bet it will get better with time.

Offline Rex Mahan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 10:02:59 PM »
Any idea what serial number Standard fixed the pin issue?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com