Author Topic: .45-60 ranges  (Read 9264 times)

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #C31 SASS #3740 NRA GAF #394 5th Minn. Infry
  • SASS #: 3640
  • NCOWS #: C31
  • GAF #: 934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.45-60 ranges
« on: April 20, 2013, 10:22:32 PM »
I am a proud new owner of a Cimarron '76 in .45-60. I am curious of what the viable range is with this cartridge is, Black Powder loads of course under 350gr bullet. I am guessing that much beyone 400-500 yards might be all one could expect. Opinions & experiences?
Respectfully,
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: .45-60 ranges
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 09:06:12 AM »
A lot depends on if you punching paper, popping metal or puttin' meat on the table. For the first two I'd think 500 yards is max, for huntin' maybe 200 yards under ideal conditions, 150 is probably more realistic.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:12:03 PM »
Well, the goal is punchin paper or very large steel targets. My 58yr old ability to see great distances is probably more limiting than the rifle itself!!! Thanks for your reply, that was kinda what I was figurin"
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:31:25 AM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 04:38:15 PM »
Harley,

Just my thoughts,
I don't have one, nor have I ever loaded for one, with the bullet weight you suggested, keep your shooting within 250 yards.
You should be able do very well.
  Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 05:15:23 PM »
Blair
Thanks for the input. I would imagine that the buckhorn sights on the rifle will be my first limiting factor. My range only gets out to 175yds and if I ever get proficient at that range, I will concern myself with sights and bullets weights. what would you think might be a better weight for longer distances? If a feller used 3Fg with heavier bullet (since you lose some case volume), might that get a longer reach?
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 08:57:59 PM »
Harley,

405 grain would be better for longer ranges.
But, if you can't see... why bother?
175 yards will net you anything you can see in your sights.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 08:58:28 PM »
Well, given the limits of your rifle you might be able seat the bullet out a bit more and get just a bit more powder in the case. You might have to experiment to see what will feed from the magazine and chamber.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Have you considered the Lyman 457122 Hollow Point Gould bullet, especially for hunting?  While the 45-60 is  not really considered an express round, the Gould is likely the best .45 bullet for deer sized game for rounds in this class.  While no longer made, the Lyman 457192 at about 350 grains is a good one as well.  There was a special order of these moulds a couple of years back and I got one for my 45-75.  It is easier & quicker to cast than the HP bullet.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 07:01:25 AM »
The barrel sights on these guns are crap for oilder fellas. I couldn't hit a barn @ 100 yards with mine till I put a peep and globe on it. Now I can hold groups @ 1 1/2" @ 100 yards with a 405 bullet.
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 08:37:10 AM »
Some great insight (no pun intended), thanks fellas. I do not cast my own bullets, so that is off the table. I am not a hunter, so that does not come into play. I already had these 305gr bullets so I will use them up and then I may try some 405gr. Probably just bang away with the buckhorn sights until I can get dollared up for a different sight system. I am sure the tang sight would be better for longer distances but given the limitations of the .45-60 I wonder if a good (such as a Smith) barrel ladder sight would serve me just as well? Some good discussions on sights in a different thread.

It aint that I cant see but beyond 400-500yds it is more difficult coupled with the fact that in my area, to find a suitable range to shoot much beyond 200-300yds is challenging anyway. These were some of my reasonings to go with the .45-60 rather than the .45-75. I had dreamed that brass for the .45-60 would be easier and cheaper than .45-75 but that remains to be seen. Thanks to Griz I will have 20 casing to work with until production starts up from the company that bought Jamison.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 10:55:53 AM »
Harley Davis:
I dont" got a 45-60-but rather a 45-75.  I have a ladder rear sight on mine and it works just fine.  Also have a Marbles tang sight and is just fine too.

When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »
Larryo1;  I have a Chappie NWMP SRC,  Does the marbles tang sight work with the Spanish Metre ladder sight in place?

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 05:49:18 PM »
Sir Charles:I don't know about a Spanish ladder sight but the one that I have on my rifle works well with the Marbles tang sight that I have.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 06:00:40 PM »
     I have a Winchester 1876 in .45-60 with a tang peep on it that gets me to 200 yards with confidence using Goex 2fg behind a 292 grain Lyman bullet lubed with SPG. 100 yard offhand shooting is no problem using the barrel mounted rear sights.  I think I would try to stay in the 300 grain weight  range in this caliber and model, but my rifle is old and the new ones might handle a little heavier bullet. I did   quite a little shootin' on Nels' old range NW of Goodell  years back with it (200 yds).

Regards,

Jubal Starbuck

Offline harleydavis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 08:22:07 PM »
    I did   quite a little shootin' on Nels' old range NW of Goodell  years back with it (200 yds).

Regards,

Jubal Starbuck
Hey, I used to shoot down at Nel's farm back in the early 90's. Suppose I must know you then.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 09:56:49 PM »
Sir Charles:I don't know about a Spanish ladder sight but the one that I have on my rifle works well with the Marbles tang sight that I have.

The "Spanish Meter sight" was the name describing the military style sight that the NWMP adopted for its carbines.  It seems that Winchester had supplied a bunch of 1973 muskets and SRCarbines to the Spanish in 44WCF, and were already set up to supply the sight when the mounties made the request

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 11:10:38 PM »
Ifn you are going to be shooting the 45-60 in distances of 200 yards and beyond... that factory installed buckhorn will get you alot of misses. Looking back I went thru a bunch of different Tang Sights, I had bad luck with Marbles, they wobble to much, at least mine did, I tried the Taylor & Company DO2 Vernier Tang Sight, it looks good, but looks do not count when it come to hitting the target. I went thru three different Italian made Vernier Tang Sights and they were useless. I finally forked out the money and went with the Kelly Soule Sight for Silhouette Mid Range, best decision I have ever made in regards to sights. The Kelley Sight is extremely accurate in both elevation and windage adjustments.  I do not shoot the holy black, don't like the mess it makes and I can't stand the smell of it. I have very good results at 200 yards and beyond with 5744 and Trail Boss. The best bullet for the 45-60 I have found is the 300 grainer RNFP sitting on top of 25 grains of 5744, very accurate at 200 yards and 300 yards in my rifle. When shooting a 405 grainer RNFP or a RNHB on top of 12.5 grains of Trail Boss it is also very accurate. The buckhorn sight is probably best for 50 to 75 yards ...my opinion. The rifle will only be as good as the sighting mechanism you use and the right loads, and sometimes the trigger puller.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline locolarry

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2022, 02:52:20 PM »
Harley Davis:
I dont" got a 45-60-but rather a 45-75.  I have a ladder rear sight on mine and it works just fine.  Also have a Marbles tang sight and is just fine too.
Looking for different sight options for my new 1876. Could we possibly see the ladder sight and some information on it ? Thanks, LocoLarry

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2022, 03:40:34 PM »
Looking for different sight options for my new 1876. Could we possibly see the ladder sight and some information on it ? Thanks, LocoLarry

You realize this thread was last posted on 8 years ago?
King Medallion

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2022, 04:42:48 PM »
And it has been 6 1/2 years since larry_1 posted anything.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com