Author Topic: The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)  (Read 10103 times)

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
« on: January 03, 2012, 09:47:48 AM »
THE BLACK COVENANT

By this Covenant, an Order known as THE ANCIENT AND HONOURABLE BROTHERHOOD OF BERTHOLD AND BACON is hereby recognized always to have existed from the days of those Venerable and Ancient Bretheren

TO BE HEREAFTER PUBLICKLY KNOWN AS

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT, (SHOTS) , In common parlay referred to as THE BLACK ORDER, or “The Order” in this Covenant

THE PURPOSE of The Order is to Uphold and Propagate the exercize of armes employing the ANCIENT SUBSTANCE called gonne powder or the HOLY SOOT. These armes, or devices, are called GONNES. They vary from Artillerie, and include Rockets (as recently perfekted by Master Congreve), to handgonnes, arquebusiers, carbines and all sorts of rifled armes, musketry and fowling pieces, and include armes charged with loose gonne powder and armes charged with cartridges of metal, paper, or skin. It does NOT include the Holy Soot used for celebration or demolition. Guy Fawkes has forfeited his right to be a member of The Order.

THE PRACTISE of The Order will be perpetrated in two parts;

The BLACK ART is the practise of armes using the ANCIENT SUBSTANCE while hunting, warring, or at friendly and sporting tournaments of all sorts.

The BLACK MYSTERIE is the study, experimentation, and propagation of the knowledge required to manufacture, maintain and employ all sorts of Gonnes using the ANCIENT SUBSTANCE, and the ballistiques, rapiditie and arcs of any solid object propelled by its most sudden explosion.

DEFINITIONS

The term “ANCIENT" has two meanings, not exclusive from the one to the other;

1. Beyond the memory of living man.
2. A man living beyond his memory, otherwise known as a "senior citizen".

A "GONNE" referred to in this COVENANT must always be emploied with the ANCIENT SUBSTANCE.

MEMBERSHIP in The Order is voluntary, and is arranged in the ranks here denoted, which must be ascended in the order in which they here proceed:

NOVICE. This being the rank open to any person who has discharged any gonne, or desires to.

BROTHER. This being the rank open to any NOVICE who has the deed upon, or the habitual use of, any gonne.

BROTHER AT ARMES. This being the rank open to any BROTHER who follows the BLACK ART by either hunting with a gonne, useing a gonne in mortal combat, or competing in tournaments of sport of any sort with a gonne.

LEARNED BROTHER This being the rank open to any BROTHER who studies the Ancient texts, conducts research into the use, improvement, and employment of gonnes, and especially those who propagate their acquired knowledge of the BLACK MYSTERIE to other members or among the heathen who still use inferior forms of gonne powder, such as those foolish pieces which propagateth NOT the glorious and sulphorous cloud when discharged.

BROTHER ARTISAN being a member who engineers, revizes, beautifies or otherwize tinkers with gonnes, accoutraments or munitions.

MASTER. Open to BROTHERS AT ARMES, LEARNED BROTHERS, and BROTHER ARTISANS who have achieved notable success in either the BLACK ARTS or the BLACK MYSTERIES.

HONOURABLE MASTER. Open to MASTERS who are acknowledged by their brother MASTERS to have achieved notable skill in the BLACK ARTS and for theyr prominence in propagating the BLACK MYSTERIE.

Any member may precede their rank with the term ANCIENT if they satisfy either definition.

Members may append their rank, after theyr mark, or seel, on any correspondence they choose.
Members above the rank of BROTHER may refer to themselves as LORD OF THE SOOT, or by theyr rank.

Members must rise through the ranks in order, except that BROTHER AT ARMES, LEARNED BROTHER, and BROTHER ARTISAN are equal in rank, and may choose theyr route to enlightenment, and may change it at theyre own whym.

Members promote themselves on the basis of Honour and Honesty, subject to challenge by TRIAL BY INVECTIVE, Duelling having been outlawed except for a duelling tree at a friendly tourney, and only after a "seemly" period of time in each rank.

Members are reminded hereforth that the virtues of chastity, civility, sobriety and temperance are best and most happily fownde amongst other orders, such as munks. Members are advised to follow these virtues ONLY whythe gonne in hand.

A prospective member of the Order may, at theyre own whym, and fayling memory if an ANCIENT, backdate theyre qualifications. Status as a NOVICE may be backdated indefinitely if he or she wore a cheap copy of a coon-skin cap and watched Fess Parker on a black and white television set as a child. If memory does not extend that far, ownership of your own copy of THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES and QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER is prima facie proofe. Status as a BROTHER may be backdated to when you bought your first Spanish or Italian muzzleloader kit, whether you assembled it or not.

PROOFE OF MEMBERSHIP is proved by possession of a copy of this COVENANT signed by ones-selfe, without necessitie of witnesses or oathe. In the alternative, proofe may be evidenced by signing a copy on the spot in the presence of another purported member. If a copy of the COVENANT is not available a member may prove his status by crying out at the top of his voice in the presence of at least one purported member; "THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE!"

ORGANIZATION of The Order is by consensus of the members under the Benevolent Leadership of an ANCIENT AND GRAND MASTER, assisted by PALADINS appointed by hymself and a SECRETARIAT also appointed, to keep any necessary records or an Exchequer as required. If an ANCIENT AND GRAND MASTER cannot be arrived at by consensus, GOD HELP US.

Members of any rank may be "at Large". This does not depend on the length of theyr gonne belt, but indicates that they practise the BLACK ART or the BLACK MYSTERIE as individual champions. Alternatively, members may arrange themselves as a HOUSE, or a COMPANY. A HOUSE implies a geographical entity, while a COMPANY may be devoted to a particular form of the BLACK ART.

DISPUTE RESOLUTION is normally decided by LEARNED DISCOURSE, followed by adoption by consensus. Discourse is best proceeded with after proper vocal lubrication wythe that ancient liquid, Bier, or any other water of life.

TRIAL BY INVECTIVE may be invoked by a member of any rank who wishes to take any other member to task for any dispute, real or imagined. It could be for a matter of fact that cannot be resolved by LEARNED DISCOURSE, or a matter of honour, or of unseemly self promotion. Trial by Invective ends when the matter is resolved or conceded by either party, or is ended peremptorily by resolution of at least three members of the same or higher rank.

DISSOLUTION of the Order will be readily apparent when nobody cares anymore.

BY APPENDING YOUR MARK AND SEEL HERETO YOU COVANENT TO UPHOLDE AND PROPAGATE THE PRACTISE AND VIRTUES OF THE ORDER AND OF THE HOLY SUBSTANCE

______________________________________ ( Seel)

Rank Date Affected ____________

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
Re: The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 11:12:51 AM »
Excellent!  Thanks to all involved for creating this!

Sir Charles deMouton-Black
Lucky Irish Tom
John Boy
Manatee
... and all other faithful Soot Lords and Faithful Interested Parties who make this interesting

May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and 
      Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !         
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »

Yeah................... Wot Steel Horse Said!!!  ;D

+1

Paladin (What Lurvs the Hoooooly Black ;D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:54:38 AM »

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:33:59 PM »
A long time coming, but worth the wait.  Here at last is a place to organize our loyal order.

Thanks Lucky Irish Tom!

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 05:58:06 PM »
I would be proud to a member of SHOTS. It sorta reminds me of a couple of Fraternal Organizations that I am a member of.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Bottom Dealin Mike

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 09:19:26 PM »
Count me in!!!

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 02:48:08 PM »
I have been shooting the holy black since 19 and 74 :o I would be pleased and honored to be counted among the membership of this grand order!!!

Shotgun Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »
I am a practitioner of the sooted arts.  I have competed, hunted and charged my weapons of war with the ancient substance.  I have warred with it's residue and won!  Although my competition days are over, I would like to petition for membership in the Art and Mysterie of the Ancient substance.  And since my memory is not too long, I guess that means I have earned the title Ancient.

Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 02:24:40 PM »
 . . .   And the Faithful continue to arrive from all points on the globe!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Buzzard II

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 08:38:47 PM »
I've been shooting the holy black since 1965-count me in!
SMOKLESS POWDER IS JUST A PASSING FAD!
NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER
SASS LIFE MEMBER-AKA "BUCK HUNTER"
N-SSA  CO. QM SGT- 1st NJ LIGHT ARTILLERY-BATTERY B
GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA LIFE MEMBER
NRA CERTIFIED PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
NRA CERTIFIED RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
FORMER N.J. HUNTER ED. INSTRUCTOR/TEAM LEADER

Offline brazosdave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 04:51:03 PM »
I have recently began to not only forbear all other substitutes, but to manufacture the holy black. I would be most honored to be accepted into this most auspicious society.
"I'm your huckleberry, it's just my game"

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 05:27:21 PM »
All those who use gunpowder in its true form are welcome; Anytime!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 03:19:27 PM »
1965?  That's "IN" for sure!

Offline Hickok

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 08:16:25 PM »
If I may tender my request to be allowed admittance into this most honorable society of knowledgable purveyors of the art, science and mysteries of blackpowder shooting, I would forever be most appreciative of your consent and approval.

I have 40 years of trial, error and study of this magnificent propellant.

A pox on Pyrodex, a hex on Triple 7, !!!!!!!
All credit and praise to Lord Jesus

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 08:27:41 PM »
Long may you enjoy the pleasures of the true propellant, Brother, but be careful about yor card playin ;D
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Hickok

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 05:01:35 PM »
Thank you for the kind words, and I shall always try to seat myself with my back to the wall when participating in any games of chance!
All credit and praise to Lord Jesus

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Thank you for the kind words, and I shall always try to seat myself with my back to the wall when participating in any games of chance!

Personally, I don't play games of chance.  Only poker and a few other similar pastimes.
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com