Author Topic: Trapdoor project got bumped  (Read 1002 times)

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Trapdoor project got bumped
« on: March 28, 2021, 06:08:54 PM »
Sadly, my 1873 trapdoor project has been bumped from the priority list.  I'd probably feel worse about this, but it was always a second choice--I really wanted a 50-70.  I've seemingly been under the Curse of the 1884 Trapdoor as that is all I can seem to find.  Nichevo.  Someday my luck will change. . . .

I hit the Crete gunshow today (held in Beatrice for some reason).  No one tried to sell me a 32-20, which was a plus, but no one wanted to buy mine either.  Ah well, it was just along as trade bait, with the ROA and S&W 65.  I should have taken the 98 Krag, think I might have found a buyer. 

I did see a couple of (repro) Remington conversions (one in 38, the other in 45), a fair S&W Russian, a '95 Winchester SRC in '06 (couldn't remember who was looking for one, but I got contact info if needed).  Didn't see a single cap and ball revolver--very strange--and no one had percussion caps.  Saw a guy actually asking $25/100 for large rifle primers and he wasn't even wearing a mask. . . .  Red Dot powder at $40/12 ounces.  One guy had a couple original Sharps, some Ballards, Winchester 1885s, and various Euro-singles (and a neat little SXS underlever combination gun).  Saw a sweet 38/44 Outdoorsman but it had a bulge in the barrel.  Lots of S&W 22LR Outdoorsman/Model 17/Model 18, some Blackhawks that caught my eye.  Prices are driving LOTS of stuff out of the woodwork.

Talked with a guy about some moulds I had on a friend's table, turned out he was the one with all the single-shots.  Swung by his tables again later as the show was closing down early, realized the unpriced trapdoor was a 50-70.  Not the cutdown '66 I've been watching for to make a sporter like my great-great grandfather had, but an uncut 1868.  Bore condition is pretty good, but missing the cleaning rod and rear sight.  After some dealing to fund the purchase, and some wheel-deal with the PO, the trapdoor followed me home. 

Soon as I find a rear sight (and brass/dies/mould), I'll have it shooting again. 

I think I mis-spoke ("Mis-wrote"?) earlier in this epistle.  Sunday my luck will change.  Yeah, that's the ticket.

Anyone have a rear sight for a 68 Springfield?   ;D
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Trapdoor project got bumped
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 06:16:11 PM »
Way cool....the Planets aligned  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline 38OVI

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 08:25:17 PM »
Try www.trapdoorcollector.com as he may have parts.  The sight base is a basic CW base, the difference is the sight bar and slide.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:35:46 PM »

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 10:34:17 PM »
There's at least on on e-Bay right now.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 02:36:54 AM »
Thanks guys, I should have a sight coming (subject to the now-usual shipping delays and the whims of the US Mule).  38OVI--thanks for the tip--that helped!  Bore is better than I thought, may wind up replacing the extractor spring.

Now to gather the necessaries to feed it. . . .
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 05:58:07 AM »
I have a set of 50-70 dies for sale.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 07:50:09 AM »
Thanks guys, I should have a sight coming (subject to the now-usual shipping delays and the whims of the US Mule).  38OVI--thanks for the tip--that helped!  Bore is better than I thought, may wind up replacing the extractor spring.

Now to gather the necessaries to feed it. . . .
I had to replace mine as it was just sort of dribbling the case out.  With the new spring it shoots WAAY out!  Can't believe the old one only lasted a hundred thirty years.  Sheesh!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 02:28:16 PM »
Pitspitr, PM sent.  Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com