Author Topic: Colt Acquired by CZ  (Read 1676 times)

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
Colt Acquired by CZ
« on: February 12, 2021, 03:22:00 PM »
Saw this on Facebook a moment ago,  checked on Al Gore's interweb,  true?

https://www.reuters.com/article/czg-colt/corrected-czech-gunmaker-czg-buys-colt-in-cash-and-stock-deal-idUSL1N2KH3HO

Maybe good for both companies,  I guess time will tell.  But still in my mind kind of sad, Colt, an American Icon!

B.N.Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Colt Acquired by CZ
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 04:40:33 PM »
I have thought this coming for a long time, even speculated/hoped  it would be Beretta to acquire Colt.

Much like S&W, Winchester, Remington, Marlin & H&R the iconic old brands fell on hard times and were dealt away.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 08:57:54 AM »

It's really a shame, but for many years, Colt survived on their military business.  SAA handguns are and were a losing proposition.  The customer base is/was continuously shrinking and the imports, built to a better price point eroded Colt sales. 

After the end of the lucrative military business, it was only a matter of time.  Sad.  But from a business standpoint, unavoidable.  It will be interesting to see what CZ does going forward.

Stay Safe Out There

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:39:20 PM »

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 09:33:25 AM »
I would imagine, if the SAA stays available at all, that it will become a Custom Shop item only along with their unimaginable pricing. :(

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 11:03:22 AM »
Bound to happen when you're trying to live off of just a recognized brand with nothing new to the market except expensive versions of guns that can be bought cheaper and better quality.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 11:07:14 AM »
It looks like most regular (cash poor) folks are buying Ubertis, because of price. And from what has been said by some, Colt's price/quality were at different ends of the line.

In other words, they just don't build them like they used to.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 11:30:52 AM »
CZ may not be interested in continuing either the SAA or the newer DA Colt models. I read on another forum that CZ just recently discontinued the Dan Wesson revolver line. They may well think all the profit is to be made with the semi autos. They seem to do well with the Dan Wesson 1911s. I've owned several and they were excellent handguns.

If by chance we, who appreciate the Colt name and heritage, do see the SAA continue in production, CZ is going to have to come up to Standard Mfg's quality to deserve a similar price point ($1895 or more). I don't see Colt (CZ) competing with Uberti or Pietta with a built in the US single action. Their only market is the high end, which the name kind of calls for.

This will be interesting to watch...provided private gun ownership continues into the future.

Dave

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4841
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 11:05:48 PM »
CZ makes top quality stuff at attainable prices. It would not surprise me to see them leave the NE entirely and move the Colt line somewhere gun friendly. It will be much like the Marlin lines, worn out machinery needing to be replaced or rebuilt. 2-3 year project, but hopefully will see Colt worthy of the name once again.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 11:18:31 PM »
The whole reason why colt was bought out was because they tried to be a premium maker, not everyone wanted a expensive copy of a AR-15 or a 1911. S&W has affordable DA revolvers and they're good. Their name is quality but when your products aren't up to it but you push them out anyway. Something is bound to happen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com