Author Topic: "New To Me" Uberti Russian Model Revolver Acquisition  (Read 3147 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
"New To Me" Uberti Russian Model Revolver Acquisition
« on: February 10, 2021, 12:32:42 AM »
I thought of tacking this post onto my fairly lengthy NWMP Impression thread here in the Barracks, but I am excited enough to make it a new thread.   In that NWMP thread I recently mentioned that I had an opportunity to acquire a Uberti Schofield, which I proposed to use as a stand-in for the more historically appropriate S&W Russian Model revolver, thirty of which the NWMP acquired and issued in 1874.

Well, life certainly does work in mysterious ways ... turned out that the Schofield had already been sold, although the dealer does have a Russian model in stock ... but it is nickel-plated (not terribly suitable for NWMP issue ... plus, I have never liked shooting nickel-plated revolvers as the sights "glare" too much for my old eyes) and it is priced $300 higher than the Schofield!

Definitely needed to think about it ... although getting a Russian Model revolver was certainly tempting, the nickel plating and sizeable price difference were decidedly off-putting.  On the other hand, Uberti top-break S&W models are relatively hard to come by in Canada ... a Google search will turn up a number of dealers with them listed, but almost invariably, when you get there you are met with the dreaded ""Not In Stock" ... and when you can track down listings of used revolvers they seem to invariably be "Sold" ...

While pondering this dilemma, I decided to run another Google search this evening and, wonder of wonders,  up popped a brand new private gun sale venue listing for a nice used Uberti Russian model - in my calibre of choice, .45 Colt!

Price is $350 less than the new Schofield and $650 less than the new Russian model from the dealer!

Needless to say, an "I'll take it!" message was promptly dispatched ... my only fear now is that somebody else has beat me to it ...

One thing does strike me as somewhat odd about this particular revolver ... which you may have noticed in the above photo - namely that the extractor spring housing below the barrel is shorter than it should be on a true Russian Model (or a Schofield or most other early S&W models.)  Mind you, in my online researches lately, I have seen a couple of other Uberti Russian Model revolvers exhibiting this characteristic ... and tonight I think I have figured it out:  Uberti must have made some Russian Models using barrel assemblies for the No.3 Frontier model revolver -

Not a deal-breaker for me ...  I do wonder if there were any such original "mix and match" revolvers back in the day?  Anyone know?
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: "New To Me" Uberti Russian Model Revolver Acquisition
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 03:07:09 AM »
To answer your question , as to Uberti use of parts , I'm unsure but it would appear the case.
Congrats of your intended purchase  :)

"I do wonder if there were any such original "mix and match" revolvers back in the day?
I would think not likely as manufactured, but later in the field quite posable.

Arguably the two better looking designs over the 1st. Model American/Russian & Schofield - IMHO

I can offer this photo of my guns, the original Russian and my Uberti NM #3
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 06:38:17 PM »
Very nice!!
GAF#379

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:52:20 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 11:51:18 AM »
1st. , second and 3rd Russians

Boots Photo

and this Uberti resembles the #3 NM Russian
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 12:45:21 PM »
Well, Gentlemen ... I can confirm that "the deal is done", my payment has already gone to the the seller way out in Quebec, electronically (wonders of modern technology), and the transfer process is in the works.  Should hopefully be on its way to me within a few days! 

While waiting, I'll post a few more of the seller's photos -

The all-too-brief material in Arms & Acciutrements of the Mounted Police, 1873-1973 on the S&W "Russian" revolvers acquired by the Force in 1874 -

As evident from Books' photo, the "Old Model Russian" revolvers acquired by the NWMP were undoubtedly 2nd Model, as stated in the text in Arms & Accoutrements.

I see the shortened extractor housing of the 3rd or New Model Russian compared with the 2nd or Old Model, but the very short housing of the "New Model 3", as used by Uberti on some of its "Russian" revolvers (including the one I am buying, and quite a few others I've seen in photos) is a definite anomaly, I gather.  I assume they did so because all of their S&W top-breaks, for expedience, likely incorporate their version of the shortened extractor rod presumably introduced by S&W with the New Model 3 so that any "proper length" extractor housings in their revolvers are likely cosmetic only.  If so, using barrels with this very short housing was either a cost-saving expedient (as suggested by some responders on other sites I have posted, who claim that this tends to be the case with earlier-production Uberti Russians) and/or Uberti used barrel assemblies with this short housing in later production to get orders out, if they had run out of barrel assemblies with extractor housings of more appropriate length. 

I guess the "story" on this revolver will be that it needed its barrel assembly replaced and the only version available was from a New Model 3 ... resulting in an "after-market" anomaly ...  ;D
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 01:43:26 PM »
Interestingly (to me anyway), there was an article a few years ago in the Smith & Wesson Collectors Journal about the reverse configuration.

It seems famed pistol shooter Walter Winans liked the extra barrel weight and shot a New Model 3 with a New Model Russian barrel.
(Smith & Wesson Collectors Association Journal Book 1, Vol. I thru Vol. II. page 251)

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 12:05:59 PM »
I have been browsing googled photos online, looking for any original revolvers in this configuration (New Model barrel on Russian frame) and my eyes have widened a few times on seeing the New Model barrel configuration in conjunction with a Russian-style spurred trigger guard ... only to immediately realize that in each case it was a New Model barrel/frame combined with a spurred trigger guard, like this:

Interestingly, Spanish-made copies with the Russian-style frame and trigger guard combined with a New Model barrel configuration seem to be fairly common ... probably reflecting much the same expedience for the Spanish makers as has likely induced Uberti to produce that combination ...  Here are two examples:

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 12:39:06 PM »
To keep this ongoing saga complete ... and just in case any of my non-Canadian friends might have a passing interest in  the process up here in the frozen north of acquiring a handgun (or other "restricted" firearm) ... just this morning I received this "Transfer Notification" electronically.  Seller can now send me the revolver, and has already emailed to tell me he will get it out today!

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 05:12:15 PM »
My latest, & maybe last acquisitions. Would like a DA Merwin in 44/40 or Russian, but doubt I could afford it.
Lower New Model #3, Australian, middle S&W DA 1st Model, 38 WCF, upper Merwin Pocket Army in 44 WCF.
weird, picture on my desktop 180 digress different, #3 on top, so don't know how to correct,
Brian

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 06:34:59 PM »
Dusty - For some reason, when I click on the picture, it turns itself right side up!    ???

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 09:30:24 AM »
Same for me, Dusty. Just need to click on it to see it right side up.

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 02:26:05 PM »
Yes...
When clicking on the pic it does reverse itself to a normal configuration of photographic stability and correctness, i.e. top to bottom. The culprit in all this is simply the weather, cold temps are known to blame for irreversible visualizations as seen above and generally are reversible when a mild bit of force, i.e. a 'click' is administered and adjudicated in a timely fashion.
Air temps of -3 and a Wind Chill factor of -23 or more will automatically garner these irreparable considerations to any electronically-generated pics, thusly causing a verbally-challenged response and quizically-prompted questions as to how-to and why.
Go figure.
Best regards and good viewing!
'Ol Gabe, Monday 2:20 CST, -3/-23

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 07:18:57 AM »
Gabe You must be a lot farther south of me. Yesterday it was -33 without wind chill in Broken Bow.

We should all be thankful though. Less than a month in office and President Biden has already cured Global Warming.

(Now, lets see. Where is that ol' sarcasm button?)
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 07:27:57 AM »
Gabe You must be a lot farther south of me. Yesterday it was -33 without wind chill in Broken Bow.

We should all be thankful though. Less than a month in office and President Biden has already cured Global Warming.

(Now, lets see. Where is that ol' sarcasm button?)

Speaking of PedoJoe and the Ho, they just cancelled the March sale of Gas and Oil leases in the Gulf of Mexico.   Gotta drive the price of gas up over $5 a gallon to save the planet.
GAF#379

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 10:25:20 PM »
I's here! 

I have just placed an order with NC Ordnance for a set of "Royalwood" grips for "everyday" use, particulalry with my NWMP impression ... and also, for when I feel like going full on Sunday-Go-To-Meetin' mode, a set of of checkered faux ivory grips ...

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 01:39:15 PM »
RJ, that is superb! Congratulations!
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 03:07:08 PM »
The existing "ivory-like" grips are actually much "creamier" in tone to the eye than they appear in the photos  ... but I still ordered the other sets of grips as soon as I had the revolver in hand to check against the sizing diagram provided by NC Ordnance. 

Wanted the "wood" ones anyway, and the checkered ivory just took my fancy, with shipping being the same for one set or two ...  ;D

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 08:52:11 AM »
Always a good idea to save the cost of shipping by ordering ahead. ;D

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 12:24:15 PM »
Short update on this particular personal saga ...

The grips I ordered arrived some time ago ... unfortunately, the "RoyalWood" grips are a bit of a disappointment ... they look OK, I guess, but are just a bit too "plasticky" in appearance for my taste ... so I have renewed my backorder with VTI for a set of genuione wood grips.  (Can't have too many grips, eh?)

On the other hand, the checkered "ivory-like" grips are quite nice ... a really secure grip in the hand, although a bit too white for my taste as they came. However, several soaks in a strong hot tea bath has made them much more "ivory-like".  When not doing my NWMP impression, these will be my "go to" grips, for sure ...

I don't know if I mentioned it previously, but the holster I had altered to NWMP pattern (and which fit my original NWMP Enfield revolver so nicely) is too short for the S&W Russian ... it fits into the holster quite well, but the grip extends back too far, so the flap will not close over it and fasten.  Accordingly, I am in the process of making a new NWMP-pattern holster to fit it ...

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2021, 10:01:34 AM »
Oh that looks really good.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088