Author Topic: New Cimarron Frontier  (Read 4510 times)

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: New Cimarron Frontier
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2020, 01:07:30 PM »
Nope, no patent dates at all, just the 'US'. I bought the gun used, although it didn't look like it had ever been fired, so I don't expect that there is any warranty on it and really don't expect Mike to have to do one. I bought it knowing it was used and that the patent dates weren't there, I bought it to be my 'beater' military model, I have an ASM, Uberti, USFA Nettleton, a Peacemaker Centennial and an old rebuilt 1st gen Colt military frame into a Cavalry model for getting it right. ;D

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2020, 06:29:44 PM »
Well crud. Looks like I'll need to get on the phone with Cimarron this next week as well. I've got the Pietta Cavalry and it only has the knurled screw as well.  ;D

That's two of us, and I bought mine a few years back.  That knurled screw is just Huge.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline medic15al

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2020, 08:48:24 PM »
Late update:  Cimarron sent me two of the small flush set basepin screws, and I replaced the basepin with an Uberti one that looks a lot better and easier to reinsert and secure. The Uberti pin has the groove whereas the Pieta basepin only has two grind notched that has to be lined up. And looks obnoxious.
Pacem in corde meo, Mors de guns

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:50:15 PM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2020, 10:26:11 PM »
A little more data.  I just bought my first Pietta, a 5-year-old Cimarron Frontier.  First thing I did was pull the base pin from a early 3rd Gen Colt and try it in the Pietta.  Fit fine.  Inserting it just through the cylinder and wiggling side to side showed it to be a tad tighter than the Pietta pin.  Fit the gun fine, but I noticed there is a bit of fore/aft play because the groove on the base pin is wider than the narrow Pietta groove, but I would not expect a problem with that, at least not with the loads I'm shooting.  I'll be posting about this revolver in another thread.

Offline medic15al

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2020, 10:32:38 PM »
Thanks, Abilene. The Colt part I have is a black powder frame style foe first gen I believe.

Fit frame well but a tad to fat for the cilinder itself.
Pacem in corde meo, Mors de guns

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2020, 10:11:30 AM »
Fits thru the frame fine but the permanent cylinder bushing is too small.

medic,

I may be mistaken but I don't think the cylinder bushing is permanent in the Pietta reproductions. Yours may simply be tight because it is a new gun. I remember reading of others who experienced an initially tight fitting bushing in their new reproductions.

Try tapping on the back (ratchet) end with an appropriate sized punch. It should break loose and come out like they're supposed to. The fixed cylinder bushing was a particularly bad idea (thank you cost cutting bean counters) from the 3rd Gen Colts.

Dave

Offline sack peterson

• Very Active Citizen
    • Stag Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2020, 08:13:58 PM »
A little more data.  I just bought my first Pietta, a 5-year-old Cimarron Frontier.  First thing I did was pull the base pin from a early 3rd Gen Colt and try it in the Pietta.  Fit fine.  Inserting it just through the cylinder and wiggling side to side showed it to be a tad tighter than the Pietta pin.  Fit the gun fine, but I noticed there is a bit of fore/aft play because the groove on the base pin is wider than the narrow Pietta groove, but I would not expect a problem with that, at least not with the loads I'm shooting.  I'll be posting about this revolver in another thread.

The Colt pin with for and aft play is how the SAA is in its natural, original state.  The Pietta pin with its incredibly tight machining on those two notches is a reflection of modern sensibilities re their safety / liability / import considerations. 

Colt pin works fine in a Pietta, yes.

Offline sack peterson

• Very Active Citizen
    • Stag Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2020, 08:16:30 PM »
medic,

I may be mistaken but I don't think the cylinder bushing is permanent in the Pietta reproductions. Yours may simply be tight because it is a new gun. I remember reading of others who experienced an initially tight fitting bushing in their new reproductions.

Try tapping on the back (ratchet) end with an appropriate sized punch. It should break loose and come out like they're supposed to. The fixed cylinder bushing was a particularly bad idea (thank you cost cutting bean counters) from the 3rd Gen Colts.

Dave

Pietta has two versions of its cylinder.  Their transfer bar revolver does not have a removable bushing.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »
Pietta has two versions of its cylinder.  Their transfer bar revolver does not have a removable bushing.

Well I'll be! Had no idea anyone but Colt had gone down that very non-traditional road. Guess I shouldn't be surprised on a gun with a transfer bar. (smile)

Thanks for the correction Sack,
Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com