Author Topic: SASS shooting logistics in GAF uniform  (Read 5888 times)

Offline badnuz1957

• Citizen
  • Pvt. Hughes 114th ILL Vol Inf
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SASS shooting logistics in GAF uniform
« on: June 02, 2008, 03:40:54 AM »
This is a logistical question from a newbie to GAF - I am ready to participate in a local SASS shoot wearing my GAF infantry blues (I shoot with the N-SSA).  logistically, the rifle and shotgun are not an issue, but we shoot two revolvers, so how does one holster them in uniform?  I wear a cross draw holster for N-SSA, but how does one situate and use a second?  Thanks for the help!

Bad News Hughes
GAF #551 (tol' ya I was a newbie!)

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: SASS shooting logistics in GAF uniform
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 07:25:38 AM »
Bad:

Reckon you'd buy or borrow a second holster & six-gun. 
You can wear it srong side & not worry about authenticity for the match. 
Or check with the match director & see if'n you can use just 1 'shooter & reload during the match. 
I started out that way.
Now I portray (or try to) Ltc Roosevelt & I wear 2 'shooters during the match. 
But I wear just 1 or none for a Color Guard or pictures.

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Pony Soldier

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 07:49:28 AM »
Like MG, I also wear one or none when I am not shooting.  When I go to a SASS shoot, I have a second belt set up with a left hand rig and wear it crossed over my first belt.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:57:50 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 10:13:44 AM »
badnuz1957:

Sir:

I have the honor to reply to yours of this morning.  Because of the difficulty in educating some RO's about the safety of a cavalry draw, I wear a replica of an original butt-rear, open-top holster designed for his troops by Capt. Fechet, Commanding Co. G, 8th Cavalry, in the 1880's.  This carries a 7-1/2" Ruger Vaquero.  For the second pistol, I use a 5-1/2" Old Model Vaquero, butt-forward on the left side (cross draw) in a slim-jim type holster.  The theory here is that the soldier bought a second pistol from his own funds, in case he needed it in the field, during a campaign.

For color guards, parades, etc., I will usually switch to an officer's waist belt, with the 1880's style Stewart Saber hanger, with pistol cartridge pouch and a regulation butt-forward on the right side holster, of either Pattern 1863 (full flap), or one of the later half-flap holsters.  The Stewart hanger is the kind that hooks over the top of the belt, and has the long rear, and the short front strap connected to the slots in the hanger piece.  (These are available from Dixie Gun Works or S&S.)  This type of hanger allows rapid removal of the saber and hanger for dinners, etc, where the saber, though looking great, is a blasted nuisance when seated.  ::)

BTW, for head gear, when at the range, I normally wear a straw planter's hat with officer's acorn hatband, but when called to the firing line, I change to a kepi, which allows me to use over-the-top-of-the-head hearing muffs. (After nearly fifty years of shooting with various types of ear plugs, etc., I have to save what's left of my hearing!  To blazes with what it looks like!

Hoping this is of some help, I remain,

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline MUD MARINE

• Brevet Captain, Marine Commander Dept of the Platte
  • Very Active Citizen
  • DeptPlatte, Brevet Capt, USMC, SASS, CFDA, BPCR
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 04:32:15 PM »
When shooting in SASS matches, I wear the Marine Corps "working" (field) uniform and use a Mernickle holster belt with an additional strong side holster on my left side.

On more formal and non-shooting occasions, I wear a sword belt and sword. Rarely, I also wear a reverse holster with an 1860 Army revolver.

SASS is not a stickler unlike NCOWS.

:-)

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 09:29:48 PM »
I shoot with a matched set of l/r handed holsters, facing rearward for ease of drawing but not exactly historically accurate in that position. For living history events, I remove the right handed one and pistol for it. I go without my M1880 hunting knife when I'm shooting CAS as well.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 08:51:10 PM »
Old Top has a couple of ways to deal with this sit. He has a pair of military holsters, when ready to shoot he folds the flap back, and oftentimes he will even place the guns in the holsters butt/rear for ease of draw.

He also has a pair of black holsters that fit his belt, and look somewhat like he had cut the flap off the holsters. Then he draws rear just like everyone else

It seems to please the drawing police, and he has 2 or 3 clean matches under his Mills Belt, so doesn't seem to hurt his style...

hope that helps some

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline badnuz1957

• Citizen
  • Pvt. Hughes 114th ILL Vol Inf
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 01:41:28 PM »
Thank you!!! :)I really appreciate the responses... this offers me a a good number of solutions to work with, and I should have something in place by the end of the month for our shoot.  Thanks again!!!

Offline Shamrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 08:21:50 PM »
Bad  News,
Since I'm left  handed, it's a bit easier for me. I have two 1880 "Cav" holsters. On the right side it's butt forward and I cross draw. On the left it's butt back. I fold the flaps back while shooting. I have an eight round shotgun slide that I attach to hold the shotgun rounds.
Regrds,
Pat "Shamrock" Gannon

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 09:21:59 PM »
I prefer a strong side but to the rear and cross draw myself.  My leather is custom made from Trailrider to my specifications.  But keep in mind, opinions are like noses.  Everybody has one and they all smell.... ;)

A lot will also depend on how competitive you wish to be.  I personally like to make a good showing....
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com