Author Topic: GRAND MUSTER REGISTRATION ! PEOPLE-PEOPLE-PEOPLE!  (Read 13004 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
GRAND MUSTER REGISTRATION ! PEOPLE-PEOPLE-PEOPLE!
« on: June 09, 2007, 09:44:12 PM »
Register now for the Grand Muster of the GAF! September 14,15 and 16.  Ackley Iowa.

Registration forms can be found on the GAF website, in "Dispatchs"  www.grandarmyofthefrontier.org

In addition, please indicate the rifle you intend to use, and what type of powder you will be loading.  Our intent is to run this match in a GAF unique format, classes based on the type of rifle used.  Battle rifles are encouraged, but not required.  Proposed Class structure below.  (Do not choose a class!  what you bring and the numbers demonstrated will determine the final class structure, IE cowboy style, GAF, or a mix of the two as needed)

Fees:  $25 per person shooting fee.
         $15 per person for the Banquet
         $20 per person for 2 days of meals on site (well worth it!)

Primitive camping on site.  Period camping encouraged.

Registrations to be sent to:

D.C. Luetkemeyer
400 N. Oak St.
Meta, MO.  65058

Checks to be made out to D.C. Luetkemeyer.

These are meant to be GAF classes at a GAF only match, like a regional or National Muster. GAF classes are Rifle based, not handgun as per SASS and NCOWs.  Mode of hangun operation is considered irrelivant based on the use of one gun and reloading.  All weapons shall start with no more than 5 rounds loaded.  Reloads are unlimited.

Much of this is based on the concepts as put forth in the "Battle Rifle" standards.  THese are all 2 gun (rifle and pistol) unless specificaly stated.  Please review the "Battle Rifle" entry.

Those wishing to use C&Bs may use more than one revolver/cylinder, but will have to cap on the clock in liu of reloading.

All Calibers in the Milspec class will be milspec, with case by case exemptions granted.  (Example: a properly outfitted Winchester 95 carbine in .30-06 may be accepted in liu of the Milspec .30 US caliber)

All calibers will be loaded to CAS spec.  Rifle calibers will be all lead, no more than 405 grains lead at no more than 1400 FPS. Calibers greater than .501 may use up to a 480 grain bullet.  Hangun calibers all lead at no more than 1000 fps.  Further requirements for minimum pistol loadings are under discussion.

Handgun Calibers in "Non Milspec" classes (Militia, Scout, Buffalo Scout and Forager) will have a minmum bore diameter of .357.

For purposes here, Spencers are considered "Repeaters," not lever actions. Winchester 95s are also considered "Repeaters".  "Lever actions" utilize underbarrel magazines.

1-Milspec Repeating Rifle, smokeless powder.
2-Milspec Repeating Rifle, Black Powder.
(combine if numbers warrent)

3-Milspec Single Shot, Smokeless Powder.
4-Milspec Single Shot, Black Powder.
(Combine if Numbers warrent)

5-Militia-Lever action rifle calibers, single action revolvers.
6-Scout- Lever action pistol calibers, single action revolvers.
(Combine if numbers warrent.  Each can be seperated by powder type, should numbers warrent)

OPTIONS
7-Staff Officer- Handgun only, Milspec or of documented Military use in the Victorian era.  No loading aids.
8-Infantry-Milspec rifle only.
9-Buffalo Scout- Single shot hunting rifles (no ejectors), single action revolver.
10-Forager- Single shot (ejectors allowed) double barrel (No ejectors) or lever action shotgun, single action revolver. (Bummer class!)

For those wanting a Spencer class, If you think about it, BP repeater will most likely be just that.

Reviewing the Battle rifle standards, you will see that it refers to hanguns, not single action revolvers.  It means just that.  That they should be related in PERIOD to the rifle used in the Milspec classes gives a great deal of flexibility.  MILSPEC classes will be shot in accordance with Battle Rifle Standards

Should numbers dictate then, a match could be shot with as few as 3 classes, or as many as 12.

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: GRAND MUSTER REGISTRATION ! PEOPLE-PEOPLE-PEOPLE!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 08:50:31 PM »
BTT

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 04:59:58 PM »
Muster Schedule and Registration form are available under "Dispatches" on the GAF Website.

http://www.grandarmyofthefrontier.org/dispatches.htm

Col Bull
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:28:52 AM »

Offline Shamrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 05:08:55 PM »
Mine is in the mail!
Regards,
Pat "Shamrock" Gannon

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 07:50:16 PM »
Could someone please email a registration for I can not print it from the GAF web site.

Thanks Bristow Kid

I got it taken care of this morning.  Thanks to everyone that helped.
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 10:15:51 PM »
 "The check's in the mail!" or soon will be.

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 06:13:09 PM »
Just trying to figure out my category. Shooting "the submachine gun of its time", the Henry, I have to shoot in the "Militia" category.
Dressed in the uniform of the 7th Illinois Infantry, can I shoot the "Infantry" subcategory?

Thanks
Dusty

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 08:58:27 PM »
Either that or the 66th Ill. Both had well documented issuance and use of the Henry.

I think it will be a blast to have as many folks uniformed as well as their budget allows and shooting a variety of armament. This is what gives a GAF shoot its unique flavor.
Both authentic uniforms and armament, along with Hollywood are encouraged.

Can't wait to see what our Canadian contingent shows up with. . . . ;D
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 01:39:19 PM »
Can't wait to see what our Canadian contingent shows up with. . . . ;D
Something decidedly different this time, John!   ;)

Now a few questions, if Mr. Luetkemeyer is monitering this thread, or if someone else can answer:  This year, since Hardtack Henry unfortunately cannot attend Muster, I will again be accompanied by my non-shooting "Batman" (some folks will undoubtedly remember Roger tagging along with me to Kansas in 2004, to share the driving and keep me company on the lengthy journey ...)  My questions relate to that:

1.  I understand I have some sort of "bunk" reserved at the Ackley Range, with shower facilities available (arranged through Kayleen.)  Would it be possible to reserve a second nearby bunk for my Batman?

2.  Would I be correct in assuming that it would also be possible to pay for a second Banquet ticket and the two days of onsite meals for him, as well?
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 09:07:20 PM »
KAYLEEN!  Help the poor man out! You can indeed send in the funds for his banquet ticket and meals, but as for the bunking arrangements, I have no control over such things I'm afeared . . .

DT, the Henry would put you in the "Scout" catagory, though one suspects that Scout and Militia will be one class this year. .44-40 is considered a pistol caliber. "Infantry" would be for folks with the big rifles, Trapdoors, Martini Henrys, Krags and the like, with no handguns.  I'd be surprised if we have the numbers to try those this year.  (Remember those last few are options, for further interest, should this structure be approved following the match.)

Offline Kayleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 09:22:36 PM »
Your friend will have a place to bunk with you, that isn't a problem.
For everyone's information, there is a shower available, I furnish towels, soap, shampoo, and also have toothbrushes,& tooth paste.
I do this as a welcome to Ackley range sort of thing.
Friday evening we will have the famous chili supper compliments of Beaver Creek Social Club.
 I have just returned from a trip to Lake Superior so I am trying to catch up on questions here.
Kayleen

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 05:58:43 AM »
44-40 was initially a rifle round then a revolver. When you purchase components, ie brass & bullets, you purchase from the rifle list.

So for clairfaction, a Spencer in 56-50 is a battle rifle, all other calibers are scout or cowboy?

Dusty

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 10:50:38 AM »
Though historicly it may be considered a rifle round, for compitition it is a pistol round.  If it can fit in the cyllinder of an SAA, its a pistol round.  Nor was the Henry ever chambered for any round that could not be thus chambered.  Note too that the original Henry was chambered in .44 RF, the .44 WCF chambering is a late 20th century alteration.

GAF classes are not by caliber or history, but by the competitive nature of the long guns action.

For GAF purposes, the Spencer is not a lever action, but a "repeater", as it does not have an underbarrel magazine.  And it was chambered originaly for a round incapable of being used in a pistol. Thus it can be shot in the Milspec Repeater class.  As such its ammunition comes under the case by case exemption rule.  Should someone request to shoot a smaller caliber Spencer in the repeater class this year, it will be granted, as it poses no competitive advantage over the larger caliber. (All weapons may be loaded with no more than 5 round prior to the start of the course of fire)

Dusty, my main CAS rifle is a .44-40 Henry, so this is something I've thought long and hard about.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 10:02:11 PM »
Of course, non of this affects how you shoot, it just affects who you are scored against.  You still have the same course of fire as the rest.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 11:09:02 PM »
I'm glad you clarified that, Sgt. Drydock.
While you are to be commended for working on defining a class category that is uniquely GAF, it will be slow in the application and acceptance. No doubt a lot of concession plus some 'tweaking' along the way.
It may have caused some confusion, as most people coming from other venues, -  SASS, WAS, NCOWS, whatever,. . are quite frankly going to show up expecting to shoot based on something familiar and that they have already equipped/uniformed themselves for, whether they've 'Imagineered' their persona or drawn from very historical documentation. 

The important idea is all GAF are welcome, bring what armament you have imagined your military persona would use, and have a great time!

What they show up uniformed as and what armament is used is not being restricted. It's just how it will be scored that is being experimented with.

I can't help thinking though that the Henry has multiple documented instances of use in Civil War engagements. Even though the closest caliber it is available in today is .44-40, there should be an allowed dispensation for that arm and caliber in the Battle Rifle class this inaugural year. I know that there were many units, both Cavalry and Infantry, in the Civil War that were armed with it.
If nothing else, perhaps score the Henry/levergun shooters together, regardless of which branch they choose to represent- Infantry, Cavalry, Scout, Cowboy. . .

RCJ       
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 06:16:23 AM »
John;

I can shoot the Henry in the "Scout" catagory. Being lumped in with the "Scouts", I see it as pointless to wear a uniform. It becomes no different then any other CAS shoot I go to, except (in other CAS shoots, I have the ability to select a cap & ball category). So I will shoot, Scout class, leave uniforms behind (bring a cartridge revolver) & shoot as a cowboy/scout.

Dusty

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 11:40:44 AM »
*sigh*

This is not reinacting.  THis is a get together to shoot old style weapons in a competitive setting, with the emphasis on military weapons unable to be used in other venues.  The class structure is for scoring.  ONLY for scoring.  It has nothing to do with the persona you portray.

Scout is the name of a competitive class.  It does not mean you're a scout, wear what you want, and be prepared to hold forth on your history, and enjoy the company of others who feel the same. 

Its just a name.  If I had called it "Small unit rapid fire support weapons class"  then could you wear a 1st DC Cavalry uniform?

As I said, I have a Henry.  Its one of my favorite rifles.  But it is what it is.

Frankly, whatever the course of fire, if you shoot a Henry its gonna feel like a CAS match.  A CAS match with only 2 guns,  reloading, no shotguns, and very different weapons down the line.

GAF places emphasis on the rifle, not the handguns.  Cap-n-ball or cartridge, its up to you.

RIver City John, I AM scoring the Henry and other similiar type lever gun shooters together.  Thats the point!  The persona they portray has NOTHING to do with the class structure.  The class structure is for scoring. ONLY for scoring!

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 12:27:57 PM »
Don't get too fustrated, I think it is better to have all questions answered before hand. Imagine both of our fustrations had I showed up at the Muster expecting to shoot "Militia" class as "Infantry", & didn't bring a revolver.

Something to think about for the future, not upcoming Muster. For cap & ball users. Maybe instead of carrying a 2nd revolver or cylinder, load up 5 more in the rifle & engage 5 rifle targets. Also for the "Infantry" class, periodaclly shoot 5 extra rounds to replace the revolver.

Dusty

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 08:27:24 AM »
I'll be getting my check in the mail in the next week or so. I haven't decided which rifles/pistols (I wouldn't travel that far without a back up plan) Is it ok for me to indicate that on the registration form for now? My hesitation stems from the fact that:
A. I don't have a light enough mould for my .50/70 rolling block.
B. My Pedersoli trapdoor is one of their "Long Range" models and I don't have a standard rear sight mounted yet.
C. I'm not sure I really want to shoot my Henry as I really want to try the battle rifle class.
D. I'm still trying to decide if I want to figure out a BP load for my handguns.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 09:42:15 AM »
  I saw somewhere that there was going to be an officer class, pistol only, is this correct? if so and if I am able to come(won't Know for awhile) I believe I will shoot that.   jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com