Author Topic: The Salute...  (Read 2835 times)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Salute...
« on: December 31, 2006, 12:51:31 PM »
There was a question on a different board dealing with the hand salute.

It was felt that the salute as rendered in the movie 'Gettysburg' - wasn't somehow 'proper' - in today's context.

It was...  from the following Manuals:

'Customs of the Service, for Non-Commissioned Officers and Soldiers, Practiced in the Army of the United States' - by August V. Kautz - 1864 - are identical to those printed in Hardee's in 1855, and in Gilham's Manual printed in 1859/1860.

'To salute the soldier raises his right hand to visor of his cap, palm to the front and the the elbow raised to the height of his shoulder...'

The standards of respect were identical on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line.

It closely resembles the British Military Salute but without the full, stiffened open palm.

The hand salute as rendered today does differ, as does the salute as rendered by different Services and by type of unit - with a bit of 'stylizing' tossed in for effect.

Some sort of 'toss it off' almost casually, while others are extremely 'sharp'.

No matter - as long as the salute is given with pride and a sense of honor.

Today - the right hand is raised directly and smartly until the tip of the forefinger touches the lower part of the cap above and slightly to the right of the right eye.

Thumb and forefingers are extended and joined - upper arm level with the ground and forearm at a 45 degree angle - wrist and hand straight as a continuation of the line made by the forearm.

When returned at the end of the salute - the hand is cut away smartly to the side.

This from the Army's Drill and Ceremonies manual - FM 22-5.

Thought you ought to know, since the Grand Army of the Frontier represents an earlier time frame...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: The Salute...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 01:48:56 PM »
'Customs of the Service, for Non-Commissioned Officers and Soldiers, Practiced in the Army of the United States' - by August V. Kautz - 1864 - are identical to those printed in Hardee's in 1855, and in Gilham's Manual printed in 1859/1860.

'To salute the soldier raises his right hand to visor of his cap, palm to the front and the the elbow raised to the height of his shoulder...'

The standards of respect were identical on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line.

It closely resembles the British Military Salute but without the full, stiffened open palm.

Much appreciated.  I have been doing it this way for years having learned to do it when I did CW reenacting, but have always been questioned about doing it the "British" way. 

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Cannon Fodder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 04:06:54 PM »
When did the salute change from the "British type" from the CW era to that used presently?

CF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:59:34 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 05:35:58 PM »
Roughly after the Spanish-American War.

The Regulations of that time specify it in the School of the Soldier as early as the Infantry Drill Regulations of 1911, and it's remained unchanged since.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Captain Barrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 11:13:38 PM »
Folks,

Given our time period is indeed prior to 1911, should the GAF issue its own Regulation to salute in the field the American CW way? I would say so...
Your humble, obedient servant,

David P. Barrett
Captain, 1st U.S. Infantry Regiment
Regimental Adjutant

"...For I am as constant as the Northern Star..."

GAF #2

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 472
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 11:18:46 PM »
Seems appropriate.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 07:19:43 AM »
This is how the 1873 Upton's Manual describes the motions of "salute"

"18. The instructor commands: 1. Right (or left) hand, 2. SALUTE.

Raise the right hand smartly, pointing in the same direction as the right foot, the palm of the hand down, the thumb close to the forefinger, the arm extended, and horizontal. (Two.) Bring the hand around till the point of the thumb and the side of the forefinger touch the lower edge of the cap or visor, at the same time turn the head a little to the left, look toward the person to be saluted, and retain this position till the salute is acknowledged. (Three.) Bring back the hand and arm to the position of the first motion, at the same time cast the eyes to the front. (Four.) Drop the arm quickly by the side."

So it would appear that the salute changed in or by 1873(the army manual was by Upton in 1868 as wel,l but I can't put my hands on my copy of the '68 manual right at the moment).
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 02:36:52 PM »
I've been saluting with the palm forward so long it's become habit, but then my uniforms are all pre-1873, so no problem.

Just FYI, Kautz says that the salute under arms where the left hand comes across and touches the musket ("rifle salute") is used only when entering an officer's quarters under arms. Sentries and other soldiers under arms salute by coming to Shoulder Arms for field grade officers and to Present Arms for staff officers and above. During times when they challenge, sentries don't salute anyone and they don't know anyone, either.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 12:07:14 PM »
 :) hello the Camp,
     I am wandering over from The Spencer Shooting Society.  This question came up back when I was in ANCOC, and the resident historian told us the army switched about the time the French got their rear ends handed to them by the Germans, and we adopted those spikey helmets along with a german style salute.  Now I can't say that's right, it's just what I've heard.
                                                                        Matt45

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com