Author Topic: Visiting the 3rd Infantry "Old Guard" Museum at Ft Myers  (Read 1973 times)

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Visiting the 3rd Infantry "Old Guard" Museum at Ft Myers
« on: July 27, 2006, 03:45:32 PM »
Last week I managed to find a few moments to stop by the 3rd Infantry Museum located at Ft Myer, VA.  I was returning from a change of command and played hooky for a short time as I wanted to check out what the 3rd had done during the Indian Wars.

I'd been there before, so I quickly stepped through the exhibits on the early creation of the 3rd and its experience up until the Civil War.  There were also exhibits that took the Regiment up to modern day, to include two on the Spanish-American War and Philippine Insurrection. 

My focus was on the Regiment's locations from 1865-1870 since I've made the 3rd part of my persona's history.  Unfortunately, I learned very little new that I didn't already know from previous research, but it was fun to take a look anyway.  The 3rd was stationed in Kansas, Colorado and the Indian Territory, with a company at at least every fort in that area at one time or another during the years they were stationed there. 

For those who are interested, they have one of the Regimental Colors from about 1880 along with a number of other items owned or used by men of the 3rd.  They also have a list of men who received the Medal of Honor for actions during the Indian Wars, and provide a brief overview of one company that served in the West for 6 years (average height and age, etc).

I recommend anyone who finds themself in the DC area to take a few moments and visit the Museum.  It may be a pain to get through the security to enter the post, but Ft Myer receives lots of non-military visitors each day so it shouldn't be that difficult. 

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com