Author Topic: Triple 7 loading  (Read 8863 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Triple 7 loading
« on: January 19, 2012, 11:16:15 AM »
Howdy to the camp,

After about a 3 -3 1/2 years hiatus from active shooting, I am returning to CAS on a limited basis, though I will not be shooting real black in BP Cartridge anymore (not enough time or energy to mess with it).  I'll be using a .44-40 Century LTD Marlin, 1897 Winchester SG, and probably a pair of .44 Colt/Spcl revolvers since I load for a S&W Model 29 and have tons of components.

Here's the problem:  At 60, CRS (Can't remember sh&t) has set in, and for the life of me, I can't remember Triple 7 loading data.  IIRC you use only 1/8" compression.  Also if I recall, a .44-40 takes about 33 grains of Triple 7 by WEIGHT, which equals 38 by Volume of black.  Help an old man out.  I like the boom and smoke, but don't want the mess of BP (I can't believe I actually uttered those words! I must be getting old!).  I really like the accuracy of Triple 7, and it dumps well from my auto powder dump on my LEE turret press, too.

Thanks in advance
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Triple 7 loading
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
Howdy,

According to my loading notes, in the 44-40,  22.0 grs. by weight of 777 settled in the case was slightly compressed with a 200 gr cast bullet and produced close to 1,200 f.p.s. in my rifle.

33.0 grs by weight of a settled charge of Cleanshot (now APP) was slightly compressed and produced similar ballistics.

Have fun!
w44wcf  
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:14:04 PM »
Thanks, that actually rings a bell!  I think 33 grains VOLUME (not weight) of Triple 7 gives the power of 38 grains of real black.  Are you using FFG or FFFG.  I used FFFG.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:58:50 AM »

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 09:28:03 PM »
Tuolumne Lawman,
You are most welcome. I have used FFG because that is the granulation Hodgdon recommends for cartridges.

Hodgdon says this about 777.......  
"To duplicate a blackpowder load velocity using Triple Seven, you must decrease the powder charge by 15%."
"Measure by volume."  
That would mean 34 grs. by volume (40grs x .85) which = 24 grs by weight

"Do not compress more than .100."
34 grs. by volume settled = .06" compression (R-P brass 427098 bullet)  

"Testing has shown that Triple Seven will perform best when the bullet just touches the powder."
22.0 grs. by weight settled is a capacity load (R-P brass  427098 bullet) and shot very well....produced groups that were a little better than the 24 grs. by weight, settled.

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 09:41:18 PM »
Thanks again.  I mostly used Triple 7 in 1858s or 1860s.  I did a little 44 Colt and a little 44-40.  Mostly, though I used real black for over 10 years.  In the .45 Schofield case with 200 grain bullets, I used 29 grains of FFFG for a ".44 Henry duplication load" for Open Tops and 1860 Henry.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 12:07:20 PM »
TL

I saw your post this morning on the Longbranch and hey TL's back !  :D
looked and saw you had several post I must have missed lately..

Welcome back Bernie I've missed you, are you still with the Ill. cav. ?

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 10:13:46 PM »
Hi Roger!

Nope.  Two reasons:  First had to get rid of horses after destroying my shoulder in a fall and two rebuilds in one year.  Doctor said never on a horse again. I also Had two strokes (one minor one last January and a mild to moderate one in August).  My wife said no more running around in wool in the heat, etc.  BUT I have rehabbed my left side to 90% and got control of my BP (cause of strokes), and I am feeling good.  I have also moved back to Nor-Cal, so no more Illinois.  Had to settle on one hobby and decided that CAS won out over CW reenacting.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline quigleysharps4570

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 09:19:06 AM »
I am returning to CAS on a limited basis, though I will not be shooting real black in BP Cartridge anymore (not enough time or energy to mess with it).

Just curious...don't have the time or energy to mess with real blackpowder but gonna load with Triple 7??? Still have to clean everything like you would with black...just wondering about that?

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 07:16:59 PM »
Trust me, I shot Holy Black for 10 years, and Triple 7 about a year.  Triple 7, dunk cases in water with KABOOM, windex  or moosemilk the guns, then lube.  A fraction of the time, TRUST me, I know from personal experience.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com