Author Topic: "Battle of the .45 Colt Bulge"  (Read 14468 times)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Battle of the .45 Colt Bulge"
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 11:55:14 AM »
Let me get this straight:  The Redding die, and apparently an older RCBS die re-size the case to different diameters.  So ... do we now call the cartridges made with the help of these dies . . .

45 Colt WCF, or 45-40?

;D

Seriously, the Redding die actually sound like a good idea.  And the price ... well, I guess if you look at it like getting 2 sizing dies, the price becomes more understandable.  I may get one.   However, I have been getting good results with the "neck sizing" technique that has been discussed elsewhere.  However, this is about cases that bulge out at the bottom and that is a problem that I don't have.  It requires a different solution.  Chamber sizes can vary greatly from gun to gun, because of the age of the cartridge.  With modern calibers you don't have to worry about 100 + year old chamber specs.  Our newer technology allows for tighter and more consistent tolerances, on the average.  Don't get me wrong, 'back in the day" they DID have great precision, but the average gun wasn't as consistent as the average of today, thanks to CNC machining and such.

Thanks for posting the link to the new Redding dies from Midway.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com