Author Topic: Lyman 452664  (Read 8143 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lyman 452664
« on: December 10, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »
I've got a Lyman 427666 DC mould for my 44-40s which I'm quite happy with. Now I'm considering a Lyman 452664 DC for my .45 Colt pistols and Uberti 'Lightning'.

Anyone use bullets cast from this type of mould who has a comment .... ?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: Lyman 452664
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 10:44:18 PM »
PJ-Have been casting and shooting the 452664 since around 2007. Have had excellent results with it. Casts good, shoots good, and is a real nice looking bullet. Some of the traditionalists swear by the 454190 as the only 'real' bullet to cast/shoot a 45 Colt, but I like looks and performance of the wider meplat the 664 has. Although it isn't considered a SWC, the 664 has the SWC performance over the 190 in my opinion. Another one I have and like is the RCBS 45-230-CM, as the 452664, it casts, loads, and shoots well. Both have the wider meplat needed for loading ammo in a tube fed rifle and have been written up in various gun magazines by such writers as Mike Venturino.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 11:29:25 AM »
Thank, Crow Choker!

I use a lot of commercial 44-40 and .45 Colt bullets, but for BP use, I like to use a softer alloy and SPG lube.

Mike V's writings on Single Action and buffler gun reloading are my 'go to' sources when I want a 'been-there-done-that'  opinion.
Got all his books and had to get them rebound with spiral bindings from over use. Pity he gave up on CAS when it got too 'gamey' for his liking.

I see that I can get the Lyman 452664 in a four cavity mould, but I think I'll order the double cavity. Mike V is of the opinion that a 4 cavity steel mould gets tiresome in a casting session, preferring his three cavity moulds. I use the two mould method he advocates, letting the first cool while pouring the second. Builds up a good supply of bullets fairly quickly.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:30:39 AM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
Just to add to my post ref the Lyman 452664 and the RCBS 45-230-CM, I've never loaded the RCBS using Black P. and have only used the Lyman 664 a few times with black, it preformed well. All of my black powder shooting is done with cap and balls and loading 44 Colt brass, shooting them in a '72 Open Top, Richards II, and '66 Yellowboy. When I load 45 Colt it is mostly with smokeless, although I'm sure either mold would serve the purpose using black. The Lyman and RCBS are both geared to CAS type shooting and have good sized lube groove's. If you want a bullet geared to using black powder with a big-big lube groove, check out one of Dick Dasterly's big lube bullets for 45 caliber. I have the Mav Ducthman for 44 and it works mighty fine. One of these days I plan on loading up  the Lyman and RCBS for 45 Colt using black and doing some shooting with them, one of my 'been-gonna' projects. ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 02:52:47 PM »
Crow Choker

Again, thanks for the input and comments.

Re: "... one of my 'been-gonna' projects ..."; I used to have such a project list. Then summer before last, I got a glimpse of my own mortality when I underwent two months of radiation and chemo for cancer. This wasn't the first time I had looked into the 'dark abyss', but it got my attention like nothing before.

I beat it and I'm in remission by all counts (God willing), but it made me look at my priorities and the things in life a lot differently. I live now with a sense of urgency (always did but it's more pronounced now) and I have even less use for BS and idiots than I did before. Haven't had a 'bad' day since!; just some not as good as others .... ;>)

I've gotten rid of guns I haven't shot for years, replaced them with guns I WILL shoot and bought the wherewithall to do so. Fortunately, life and circumstances allow me to do this, along with an indulgent wife who also likes guns and shooting.

I just had my 69th B'day, do daily exercise that would hospitalize most people half my age and live life to the max. I've now realized that I'm closer to the end of my life than the beginning. Life is short, sometimes VERY short. Don't waste it with "been-gonna" projects - just do it!

Sorry if this came across like preaching. Sometimes I just gotta spread the message ......

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 04:22:23 PM »
You are not preaching  my friend. Sound words for all of us.
Soldier on.

Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 10:51:43 AM »
Thanks, Dutchy! I'm off preachin' mode now .....

Crow Choker

Life happens when we're busy busy makin' other plans ..... Yesterday I popped into the local gun emporium to wish the elves a Merry Christmas. I asked one of them if he had a .45 bullet mould I could borrow until such time as he could order one in for me. Without speaking, he motioned me over to one of the display cabinets and hauled out a slightly used/'as new' Lyman 2660190 double cavity mould.
The tag had a price on it I couldn't refuse. My wife said - "Merry Christmas! That was easy." No wonder I love that gal!

The ogive of the nose is longer than the 452664, so I'm hoping that it will feed in my .45 Colt Lightning and won't be too long in the cylinders of my pistols, especially my .44/.45 Colt Remington Kirst conversion. I can verify the latter with an empty case and a caliper PDQ.

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 08:45:58 PM »
PJ Hardtack,

Nice find on that mold.  :)  It is a copy of the original 45 Colt bullet. With two lube grooves, it holds more lube than the 452664 and thus would be better for b.p. shooting.   I think you will find that when the bullet is crimped over the front driving band it will work just fine in your firearms.

I was very sorry to learn of your Cancer experience. Hopefully it will never return.

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 12:06:45 PM »
w44wcf

Already loaded up 100 rds of .45 Colt with bullets cast from that 452664 mould using my BPCR alloy; sized .452, lubed with SPG. 35 grs of FFg compresses with the bullet, no case bulging.
Right after, I did 100 44-40, also with 35 grs FFg. This time I had to use a compression die to seat the Lyman 'Cowboy' 200 gr RNFPs to avoid case bulging.

As for my bout with cancer, I regarded it as a treatable disease, not a death sentence. In retrospect, it was a blessing. I'm back to normal, fitter at 69 than most people half my age, with a different perspective on life. Today is my third wedding anniversary with a wonderful lady who was with me all the way during my treatment.
Well, almost .... she came home from the clinic for our annual CAS match as there was no point in BOTH of us missing it when I was the one undergoing treatment ..... ;>)

I did a lot of praying and had a lot of people praying on my behalf. The only prayer I could make on my behalf was "Lord, cure me or kill me. I've had a good life and I'm OK with either." He chose to cure me.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 02:34:36 PM »
Oops ....

I had been focused on buying a Lyman 452664 DC mould for so long, that when I bought a used 454190 DC, it didn't twig, even after I did some casting with it!
My wife says I have a one track mind when I'm focused on something. Maybe she has a point ...... :>)

In any case, I'm now casting traditional .45 Colt bullets and we'll see how they fair with BP and SPG.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 02:36:32 PM »
PJ--Sounds like you got a good deal on the 454190. If your castin and loadin both the 190 and 664, you've got two fine bullets. Read some of the comments on the Darkside ref whether the 190 and 664 have big enough lube grooves for using black powder. I've never done a whole lot of black powder loading and shooting with the 45 Colt, but never have had problems when I did. Used SPG lube. The 'Big Lube' bullet molds Dick D. sells and the same 'Big Lube' bullets Springfield Slim sells are fine items for keeping fouling down. Could always buy some from Slim to see how they work for you if your not happy with your cast ones.  In casting, loading, and shooting 44 Colt, before I got a 44 Mav Dutchman with its big lube groove, I cast, loaded, and shot a Lee two groove bullet and never had any problems. Still use it and plan on loading both black and smokeless powders with it. Ref your earlier comment about 'preaching', I never think anyone should refrain from telling about their life expierences when it can benifit others. Keep on, keeping it on. Glad you were able to overcome the cancer, the power of prayer is the 'elixier' of life. God Bless! Yours, Crow Choker

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 12:11:10 PM »
I've got a Lyman 427666 DC mould for my 44-40s which I'm quite happy with. Now I'm considering a Lyman 452664 DC for my .45 Colt pistols and Uberti 'Lightning'.

Anyone use bullets cast from this type of mould who has a comment .... ?

I've used the Lyman 452664 since they came out with it and I love it.  I have used it in my SAA Clones, 1873 Winchester carbine and the Marlin Cow Boy lever guns as well as in my Schofields.  You can use it in any Pistola using BP with SPG or its equivelent although I prefer the PRS Big Lube for the .45 Carbines.  I also use the Lee 452-255 RFN with both BP and the Subs. 
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 04:51:35 PM »
I have one and like it a lot for rifle.  Both with modern powder and holy black.
I've picked up one if dick dastardly molds, the 200grainer designed for ruger  old army.  I thought what the heck, it works well in the roa, so I've tried using is in the 45 colt both with black and trail boss.     For pistol loads works great
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com