Author Topic: 1866 - 1872 Forage Cap vs Kepi  (Read 9815 times)

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1866 - 1872 Forage Cap vs Kepi
« on: December 30, 2007, 08:00:55 PM »
I understand that C.W. Federal enlisted troops (and my interest is cav) almost all wore the Forage (1858) cap with only some volunteer units wearing a kepi - as a general statement. Moving ahead to the early Indian Wars years - prior to 1872 - where much CW stuff was being issued and used up, am I correct that the forage cap was more common than the kepi (for garrison use, I understand this differed for field expedient hats). I can find no real definitive comments although McChristian (The US Army in the West 1870-1880) rather suggests that it took the 1872 cap to replace the old 1858 cap, but I also see a mixture of both in what few images I have of cav during those years. If so where were they getting the kepis prior to the 1872 issue cap? Granted I have trouble telling the difference at times.

Your comments? References for your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards and thanks
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: 1866 - 1872 Forage Cap vs Kepi
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 11:23:07 PM »
First off - forage caps 'are' kepis...

In clothing regulations they're referred to as 'Forage Caps'  and the earlier versions with the floppy crown were also known as 'Bummer's Caps' - taken from Sherman's 'Bummers' who marched to the sea.

The Civil War issue version had a fairly long crown - giving the hat a floppy look - or if that wasn't desired, it could be sort of 'telescoped' to give it a more streamlined look - it depended on the wearer.

The later hats that were issued during the Indian Wars had a more 'structured' crown - giving the same 'look' as a telescoped crown, but without the additional fabric.

They're more 'finished' looking, if that helps...

Hats that were issued in the 1890's were definitely shorter-crowned, and you see those on Officers most often, as they could - and did - buy the latest versions.

The Civil War stockpiles were beyond vast - especially for a newly-shrunken Army that would draw from them - and the Army authorized the issue of one new cap per year, so it's understandable that you'd see both styles being worn at the same time.

Perhaps that was an idiosyncracy of the Quartermaster system of issue - with the far-flung Camps and Posts being issued last - perhaps it went by units.

That's not spelled out anywhere I can refer to.

As to what was common - certainly the soldier was issued his Forage Cap - but he was also issued a Campaign Hat during the Indian Wars, along with a Dress Helmet for more formal occasions.

On Campaign - other varieties of non-regulation headgear were worn by all ranks - and those often show in the camp photos of the time.

They were private-purchase - usually from a sutler, but also from town - and straw was popular.

Take a look at 'Parade Ground Soldiers' - by Langellier, and 'United States Army Headgear, 1855-1902' - by Howell.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 05:37:35 AM »
As usual St George is spot on.

One observation I would make concerning the idiosyncracy of the Quartermaster Department based on several contemporary writings. 

For some reason new recruits would be issued the new uniform items as they processed through Jefferson Barracks, etc, while those in the far flung garrison out west received older items to replace worn out uniforms and equipment. Some diarists said that when a recruit arrived to his new garrison the old soldiers would figure out some way to obtain the new items for their own use.  These writers also noted that many of the old soldiers used the older, outdated issue items for wear in the field or fatigue duty, reserving the newer regulation issue for garrison parades and inspections.

"Uniformity" as we know it today was not as big an issue back then, which is one reason why you'll see a mix of caps, coats, and equipment.  As long as it was accepted by regulation (or the local commander) it was OK to wear.  In today's military we are used to seeing (and expect to see) absolutely everyone wearing exactly the same uniform so the mixed uniforms of the 19th century appears wrong in our modern eyes.

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:16:17 AM »

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 08:15:32 AM »
Another thing to consider is that while the soldiers were allowed some many of each uniform item each year without having to pay for it, they could also  be compensated for that item at the end of their enlistment if they DIDN"T draw it. Therefore if it wasn't wore out they kept using it. In one photograph that has been extensively published there are soldiers dressed in a 4 button sack coat, a model 1872 pleated blouse, a model 1876 5 button blouse and a model 1881 5 button blouse as well as variety of civilian clothing.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 11:08:09 AM »
The later cap was shorter in depth,- it has been described as 'perching' on top of the head.
I know you ride, James, so I would consider the deeper setting early styles of cap, otherwise you'll either be using the chinstrap a lot or dismounting to chase down your bandbox cap before hoofs reshape it for you. :D
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 01:51:09 PM »
I appreciate the response but remain confused. Clearly out of my element in this aspect of history, my impression was that the term "kepi" was used to describe a cap with a somewhat square bill and moderate height such that the top did not fall over in the front. I do not know of any military specification for this cap prior to 1872 - but I don't have a very extensive library for such.

The forage cap is specified and seems to be referred to as the 1858 cap by several authors. Having said all that if one looks thru "Arms and Equipment of the Union"  of Time Life Books you see a huge range of caps. Generally they seem to categorize them as either Forage (or bummer) caps which are tall and fall forward in the front and having either round or square leather bills, or a Kepi as I have described above. McKenzie in "The US Army of the West 1870 - 1880" shows a model 1872 enlisted mans cap of shorter height slightly falling forward at the front which he states replaced the old "bummer" cap and calls it a forage cap. All caps appear more substantial than those shown at the end of the century.

If one looks up Jarnagin Company's web site (and I know we should not be quoting sutler information that is not documented in and of itself) they imply a difference between the forage cap and a kepi stating that the CW use of the kepi should be kept to a few volunteer units, as the forage cap was the most common by a wide margin.

So is this differential a modern collectors phenomena, is the differential "sutler speak" and not of the period, did the forage (bummers) cap get gradually smaller in height and the term disappear from use? What is the definitive resource for the military cap of the 18th century?

RCJ: Very good point, I look at those small caps issued in the 1880's and 1890's and wonder how they ever stayed on someones head in a decent wind much less during a cavalry charge.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 06:18:58 PM »
I appreciate the response but remain confused. Clearly out of my element in this aspect of history, my impression was that the term "kepi" was used to describe a cap with a somewhat square bill and moderate height such that the top did not fall over in the front. I do not know of any military specification for this cap prior to 1872 - but I don't have a very extensive library for such.

The forage cap is specified and seems to be referred to as the 1858 cap by several authors. Having said all that if one looks thru "Arms and Equipment of the Union"  of Time Life Books you see a huge range of caps. Generally they seem to categorize them as either Forage (or bummer) caps which are tall and fall forward in the front and having either round or square leather bills, or a Kepi as I have described above. McKenzie in "The US Army of the West 1870 - 1880" shows a model 1872 enlisted mans cap of shorter height slightly falling forward at the front which he states replaced the old "bummer" cap and calls it a forage cap. All caps appear more substantial than those shown at the end of the century.

If one looks up Jarnagin Company's web site (and I know we should not be quoting sutler information that is not documented in and of itself) they imply a difference between the forage cap and a kepi stating that the CW use of the kepi should be kept to a few volunteer units, as the forage cap was the most common by a wide margin.

So is this differential a modern collectors phenomena, is the differential "sutler speak" and not of the period, did the forage (bummers) cap get gradually smaller in height and the term disappear from use? What is the definitive resource for the military cap of the 18th century?

RCJ: Very good point, I look at those small caps issued in the 1880's and 1890's and wonder how they ever stayed on someones head in a decent wind much less during a cavalry charge.

There was a short time when the French Light Infantry shako was all the rage around the world. It was the same general shape and dimensions as the 'forage' or 'bummer' as to height, but heavily stiffened to stay erect. Dress mode could have had poms or horsehair crest. Gradually was altered by campaigning and the practical outlook of the typical soldier and evolved into the soft cap version.

There was also type of cap used by another elite light infantry called a Corsican cap that had the square bill of the kepi but had basically had a bag sewed to the capband that became a handy place to carry small items, etc. on the march, especially when foraging. Hence any soft cap with plenty of room to spare in the crown became known as a foraging cap.

Kepi as worn by French officer corp was usually more conservative in height, with better materials and construction, and rich braiding to denote rank. This carried over too. Eventually all soft caps with a bill and a canted circular crown were lumped together and referred to as 'kepi'.

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Wells Fargo Slim

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 02:59:52 PM »
I know this is late but I just joined this forum.  Having been a civil war living historian/reenactor since 1984, and a cowboy shooter for 8 years I think I am justified to comment on this.
Forage caps and kepis are definitely NOT the same.  Some reenactors use the term "bummer cap" to refer to forage caps but this was not a term used during the civil war.  Forage caps are the taller, floppy caps and kepis are the shorter more "martial" looking caps.
Also kepis are made with a separate band around the bottom and forage caps are not. The crowns of the two are also different.
Kepis were actually patterned from the French Zouaves who fought in Algeria before the civil war and were copied by many militia units before the civil war. Ellsworth's Zouaves (US troops) and the Washington Artillery of New Orleans (CS troops) are two of the better known units who wore them.  If you enter either on the internet you will invariably be able to access pictures of either unit.
Hope this helps.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 04:44:06 PM »
Folks do get carried away!  

To answer your question, the 1858 pattern Forage cap was common until the mid 1870s, until officially replaced by the 1873 pattern forage cap.  "Kepi" was never an official term of use.  It must be noted that for those who could afford private purchase, a shorter pattern cap was thought "smarter", and often seen in the field. (Period catalogs had forage caps of any height a man desired, for a tailored look with any uniform!)  Period photos often show both styles in the same unit. But the 1858 remained the most seen in Regular formations of the time.  If you wish to do a pre 1873 impression, the 1858 is what you want per regulation.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com