Author Topic: Lucky Break for Shooter??  (Read 5813 times)

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lucky Break for Shooter??
« on: May 11, 2004, 06:50:15 PM »
After starting a stage the shooter recognizes he does not have ear protection and makes a off-hand comment to the RO. The RO stops the shooter who returns his lever gun to the "stagged" gun box with a round in the chamber, lever closed and hammer back.

Since hearing protection was not mandatory the shooter could have finished the stage but the RO stopped him. The shooter was allowed to reshoot the stage.

Question: Aside from the hearing protection issue, did the shooter create a DQ by putting the rifle in the "stagged" rifle box with a round chambered?

P.S. I'll admit that I was the idot that did this but after thinking it through I don't know if I should have also been DQ'd.. ???
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Big Hext Finnigan

Re: Lucky Break for Shooter??
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 09:30:50 PM »
Kid,

In some ways, it's hard to say.
The shooter is ALWAYS responsible for making sure that they are ready to commit to the stage when they shoot.  And remember that while you are under the "guidance" of the RO, you must make your guns safe.  You really should have either fired the round or opened the action.  For me, the rifle staged with a live shell in the chamber and the hammer back, is the most dangerous of potential ADs.

I guess the RO felt some responsibility, but, in my opinion, the shooter earned a DQ.  I think the RO also needs a little brushing up.  He made two pretty major mistakes.

Adios,

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 11:13:48 PM »
That comes down gun safety on the range.  The shooter was wrong with the live round cambered and not "safe".  The RO could have DQ the shooter beacuse the basic rule of gun safety.  There should be zero tolerance.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:33:59 AM »

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 05:00:47 PM »
Tough call here.  But I think Big Hext is right: Safety first!
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 05:09:06 PM »
This is an easy call.  The moment the gun left your immediate control (put in the rack) with the hammer back and a round in the chamber, you ought to have been DQ'd for the stage.  That's the rule.

You both should have been paying more attention to the state of the gun.  If you had cleared the round and reloaded before setting it down, no call and a reshoot.

Doc

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 08:45:13 AM »
I have to agree with Hext and Doc. If I were the RO I would have you clear the rifle by jacking the rounds through the action or had you hand me the rifle and I would have cleared it while you got your plugs.

We all have brain f**ts from time to time.....they are what cause most accidents.  Perhaps if you would have lowered the hammer to half cock I might have just had a discussion with you and not DQed you.  Especially since I was the one who stopped you.  The RO should have instructed you as to how to proceed.  You are in "shoot" mode.  He is suppose to be in "observing, responding" mode.  However once you set the rifle down with the hammer back on a live round it was too late.  He should never have allowed you to do it, but since you are ultimately responsible you must bare the consequences.

I am sure that you have learned from this and will handle it differently next time.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 03:16:06 PM »
Actually the RO1 course does not mention, specifically, a case such as this.  It goes into how the rifle must be staged and it says that "no cocked revolver" may ever leave a shooters hand including moving it from one hand to the other, and it goes into minor safeties for not restaging with the action open when the shooter has finished shooting.

Also one thing that this brings up that I see many ROs NOT enforcing is the rule that once a live round is brought under the hammer it must go down range unless the gun has malfunctioned.  De-cocking a loaded gun is forbidden.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline J.D. Stawker

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 10:30:02 PM »
I would say that the shooter got the DQ because he is ultimately responsible.

With that said I think the RO needed to be pulled off the line too because obviously he was not being very observant. 

Offline Shiloh Sharpie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 02:10:05 PM »
According to rules, could the RO have held the gun, pointed downrange while the plugs were  retrieved and once on the line the shooter, on the clock, retrieve the gun from the RO and commence shooting?  Is this ever done? I have not seen it, but.......
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS 10477 Life
-------------------------------------------------------
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com