Author Topic: Next revolver  (Read 2571 times)

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Next revolver
« on: July 05, 2020, 05:00:48 PM »
I'm thinking about the next revolver I'm going to get. I'm looking at the 1860 Richards transition, 1851 Richards Mason conversion, or a SAA. I've thought about a dragoon but not sure if I want another cap and ball gun right now. I currently only have a pietta '60 army and a pietta '58 Remington.

I have a Rossi 44 mag but I'm wanting to get a '73 next year so I'm open to calibers as well

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: Next revolver
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 05:42:51 PM »
Greetings My Good Monsieur Sirmans

Before you jump into a Dragoon, I would HIGHLY suggest that you firstly get a chance to handle and shoot one.

I had "always wanted" a Dragoon to fill out the stable, and lucked into a pair of fixer-uppers incredibly cheap.
Being a handy fellow and a cheap barstich frugal sort I jumped on the deal. They were easy to repair, and I am pleased
that I got them but OMG I really had no idea how heavy the blasted things are on the hip, and especially in the hand when
holding them out for any length of time for aimed fire....

Other than that, if you are regularly in the habit of holding 10 pound dumbells at arms length for an hour or so you would
almost certainly enjoy them! Loaded up with triple 7 and a conical they do boom and smoke and recoil in a most satisfying manner.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 07:23:38 PM »
Greetings My Good Monsieur Sirmans

Before you jump into a Dragoon, I would HIGHLY suggest that you firstly get a chance to handle and shoot one.

I had "always wanted" a Dragoon to fill out the stable, and lucked into a pair of fixer-uppers incredibly cheap.
Being a handy fellow and a cheap barstich frugal sort I jumped on the deal. They were easy to repair, and I am pleased
that I got them but OMG I really had no idea how heavy the blasted things are on the hip, and especially in the hand when
holding them out for any length of time for aimed fire....

Other than that, if you are regularly in the habit of holding 10 pound dumbells at arms length for an hour or so you would
almost certainly enjoy them! Loaded up with triple 7 and a conical they do boom and smoke and recoil in a most satisfying manner.

yhs
prof marvel

Many Thanks, I've never held a dragoon so I'm not familiar with the weight. I think I'll mark that off my list.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:27:42 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 08:13:36 PM »
Of the other three on your list, I shoot all three regularly so I'd say get them all, hehe.  The  '51 R-M will be limited to .38 but the others come in more choices.  Hard to go wrong with any of them, so flip a coin or whatever.  Some would say 45 Colt is too much for the '60 conversion, but plenty of folks have done so with mild ammo and no problems.  I've never shot a Walker or dragoon but have handled plenty, and like the Perfesser, I says no thanks.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 08:30:10 AM »
 :) Well Sir Sirmans  ;)

Were I making suggestions (I am, really) I'd start with your desire for a '73 Rifle.  Depends (No, not "those" Depends), .45 and you have to deal with Blow-By.  44 Special/Mangelem and you have to deal with blow-by.  44-40, no blow-by.  38-40 no blow-by.  38Spl, some blow-by but no biggie.  It is possible to eliminate the blow-by with the straight wall cases, but takes some time consuming piddling to get it done.  Bottle Neck cartridges are fiddly to re-load.  38 Spl is Easy Peasy and real popular for CAS gaming.

I personally shoot all the Straight Wall cartridges in Toggle Link rifles.  I have eliminated Blow-by by annealing the cases.  Like I said, deal with blow-by.  You pays yer money and takes yer chances.

Hide and Watch.

PS:  OH WAIT!!  I didn't make a recommendation.  Nanny Nanny Poo Poo.  Not gonna neither  ;D

PSS:  Oopsies .... Your original posted question was for a Revolver.  Twer it I, "IT" would be a Pietta GW II Replicant.  Best SA Value for Dollar on the Planet.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 09:27:12 AM »
suggestions are the for want of different strokes = opinions
and " OPINIONs are like...well you know the old adage ...everybody has one " !

so for two cents I'll offer mine with no dog in the fight....

If I were to buy a SSA tomorrow... I'd be looking at the EMF Great Western II , in particular the  PADADIN ( except for the grips , I'd opt for walnut  )
or the CALIFORNIAN, STANDARD GRIP, 45LC, 7 1/2"

that said , I don't have one " Great Western II"  but for the cash outlay, you will not find a better deal.

what I do have are a pair of pre- retraceable firing pin Uberti's circa 2015  ish

a blued 7 1/2 Cattleman and a Stainless steel 7/12"  both are FINE guns

I also have a  2011 COLT SAA ....I stand on the fact Colt is making or was making quality SAA's  in the last number of years.

( with perhaps the bad years of quality behind them )

They produce only a few a year now (if at all ) and the custom shop no longer builds them.... unless something has changed since 2018.

So...If I were to get a SAA  tomorrow ?  Great Western II @ $565.00 MSRP 

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 10:04:04 AM »
Howdy Major,

With apologies to Prof. M, I love my 3rd Model Dragoon .45 Colt conversion. It was installed and tuned by Hoofhearted. Shot my first clean match with it. Before you ask, I'm in my 70's and am not particularly well muscled. One should always get the guns they want and not worry about other's opinion. On the other hand, Prof. M's advise is well taken. It's always a good idea to handle a gun BEFORE you decide you have to have it.

Example: I had lusted after an 1860 Win. until I picked one up. weighs a ton. I'll stick with my 1866.

Reverend Chase

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 02:06:06 PM »
Rev. Chase, maybe the Henry was too heavy because you were tired from holding the Dragoon?   :D

Coffinmaker, you often state that "... Pietta GW II Replicant.  Best SA Value for Dollar on the Planet."
But, for the sake of clarity, the same gun from Cimarron is $12 less, so you might need a new battery for your calculator.  :)
(Nothing against EMF - great company).

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 05:15:10 PM »

:o  Abilene   :o

Really??  Really and Truly??  WOWZERS.  But you see, I don't shop Cimarron.  Use to.  Then I went down the deep DARK rabbit hole of Cap Guns.  And Uberti make Lou ..... I'll leave it.  I don't like Uberti and when I went all Pietta .. Cimarron didn't market Pietta.  Butt and however:

As long as one shops Pietta, "It's a Good Thing" (Stold famous person quote).   ;D

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 07:31:29 PM »
While I do love the .45 colt I'm thinking I may get a 44wcf or .44 colt

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 08:12:08 PM »
Howdy! I am not gonna recommend a specific model of revolver, because every hand is different. What I will suggest is a revolver in .44 Special. You already have a magnum, so extra ammo you reload can be used in it for practice. I have XXL paws so some guns are not comfortable for me that fit others perfectly, so try different sizes and styles.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 10:12:06 AM »
Howdy! I am not gonna recommend a specific model of revolver, because every hand is different. What I will suggest is a revolver in .44 Special. You already have a magnum, so extra ammo you reload can be used in it for practice. I have XXL paws so some guns are not comfortable for me that fit others perfectly, so try different sizes and styles.

Hi, I'd like to STRONGLY second the "every hand is different" part.  I've been shooting Precision Pistol (imprecisely) for years so gripping a 1911 is second nature.  I bought a SAA, and I have trouble with the grip.  I may try and make a custom grip for it, but currently no workshop.  I bought a pair of Schofields which fit.  If I had to do it over, I'd try and shoot an SAA or 1851 (same grip), an 1860, a Schofield, a Remington 1875, a Bisley, and the Rugers.  Buy the one that fits.  I'd also suggest 44/40 even though I don't own one, or .38 special.  Neither round has problems with blow by.  I have to anneal the Schofield rounds every fifth load.  45 LC has the same issue.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com