Author Topic: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS  (Read 1107540 times)

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 02:44:06 PM »
Hurricane Rick Forms off Mexican Coast
That would be Hurricane GunClick Rick i knew they would misspell it! >:(
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 04:24:46 PM »
Howdy Rick

my arrows shafts were hand picked by me , I had to have them matched and spinned to the various bows that I shot, based on there strength, if you didn't do this the arrow could be either too light or too heavy for the bow it was intended for, and my arrows did make that great sound, I used only feathers, and fletched them myself in the shape I wanted, when I have time I'll take some pictures of the few arrows I have left, and the bow I made,

My wolf high bread was a great animal, loyal and very protective, after my Daughter was born, any critter that came onto our property was killed swiftly, and yet my daughter could tie him up and play him, and they were best of friends, I never had to worry when she was with him in our yard.

JD you're right, Mark Knofler and Chet Atkins made an album together, and Chet gave Mark one of his guitars. those artist you mentioned sound familiar, but I can't place them.

Kid Terico, that's a nice gesture, to help these older people out, well done Pard, and I hope you're feeling better.

Regards Pards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 06:26:04 PM »
Lookin forward to seein them bow and arrow pics.I was watchin an archer on tv and he could make his arrows sound like that by tweakin the feathers if i remember right.When i was growin up we lived out in the country and had bows and arrows and bbguns, and...Can't believe i live in the city part now.. ??? i'v seen a couple really nice bows made from (orange sage)??
Bunch a ole scudders!

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:04:45 PM »

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 07:30:41 PM »
Rick, I believe I used lemon wood and teak wood, and then fiber glass for my bow, everything came out OK except the notched ends where you string the bow, I had a hard time with that, getting the notch deep enough to hold the string while not weakening the tip of the bow.
  Fletching the feathers was a fun thing to do, and this was where you could make them sing, all arrows sing, but have a different sound depending on wood feather and fletch, even the new modern arrows of today have a different sound than they did years ago, it seemed the higher or longer the feathers the deeper the sound was, and could be heard further away, at least it seemed that way.

Archery is a lot of fun, you just need lots of time to practice.

Regards

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline cowboy316

• Top Active Citizen
    • http://wildwestcustom-leatherworks.webs.com/
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 09:12:13 PM »
ok pards now that we got this theard and it seams to be going good i got a question to all us leather workers we got the chat room at our disposal why dont we use it seem to me its there and o one ever utilitizes it so why dont we that what we can talk ass a group and really have so good converstaions
Cowboy316

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 11:48:35 PM »
Ok change the name to the Ramble Room ;D Can ya post  peectures on it?
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 11:52:19 PM »
You guys get your names in the drawing hat?For a knife or Rugers?I won this shirt jacket some time ago when they had a drawing.
 Had a gal embroydy my handle on it.. :)

Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2009, 10:30:02 AM »
 Okay, it is amazing how much we all have in common. Here are a few pics for Rick, TW, and Angel Eyes that show part of my madness. Pics aren't great. That is something I need to work on.
The arrow heads where all collected in Kentucky back when I use to follow a plow thru a field. Except for the white one in the center which was made by a gentleman in OK. Can't for the life of me remember his name.
The sticks are found in my ramblings and are very theraputic to sit around and whittle on.
The bows where made around the 1930's in central Wisconsin and all have carved horn nocks
the thicker, dark piece of wood with the sticks is Osage orange and is in the process of becoming a short flat bow.
I don't think there are to many things that I have ever heard of that I haven't tried but it keeps me off the streets and the better half doesn't have to look far to find me. ;)
And Yes I do own a couple of guitars but I never really learned how to play  ::) :-[
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2009, 10:55:56 AM »
GB, that's some interesting stuff, I haven't seen any bows like that, the one on the left looks a lot like one a friends dad had that he brought here from South America, you have quit a collection of things Pard, thanks for the look see  ::)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2009, 11:05:58 AM »
 TW, the painted bow is osage with a rawhide cover. the yellow one is yew wood and the one with the sticks is lemonwood they are all made in a  "D" shape.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2009, 11:15:56 AM »
Them are Gunnies bows..Osage that's what it is  :) NICE :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »
GB, I can see where it would have taken a little time to collect this many specimens, I was always surprised, at how small a lot of the American Indian bows and arrows are/were, some of the arrows I remember seeing in museums  seemed so short, but it was pointed out the the wood they used for there bows were very strong, and because they weren't very long, they packed a pretty good punch, compared to the long bows used in England and Europe, these Indian bows and arrows were at the opposite end in size. for distance it was hard to beat the long bow, the recurve was great in short range or brush, and was/is a very fast shooting bow.

Thanks for sharing Pardner

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D  

Offline Kid Terico

• Top Active Citizen
  • I,m to small to turn the other cheek.
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2009, 12:10:04 PM »
I used to play around but I was only 16 at the time. ;D ;D ;DKT Does that count?

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2009, 08:15:34 PM »
 TW you are right about the Native American bows being short. Would have been a real pain to shoot a long bow from horseback. they favored the osage because of its strength and they also covered the back of the bow with sinew and sometimes rawhide. The short bow that I show with the stcks is more along those lines being what they call a "flat bow". the others are all in the long bow style.  
The first bow that I ever made would have made you laugh. It looks perfect but a 3 yr old could probably bend it double.  :-[ :-[ I took a little to much wood off of the belly when I was shaping it. SO, it hangs in the shop to remind me to take a little at a time no matter what I am working on. ::) ::)

Oh, here is my little arrowhead collection.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2009, 09:06:06 PM »

GB, nice collection, and assortment of styles, you're right about the long bow being hard to shoot from horseback, the type of in and out fighting the Indians did, that short bow served him better. My wife's cousin is licenses to shoot a cross bow, he does real well at harvesting game each year with it, shoulder injures like mine don't allow him to shoot his long bow anymore, I have brother in laws that shoot compound bows, I never got into them, but I've been told they are real easy to shoot, and much more user friendly than what I'm used too, my heart is still with the old way.

Thanks for sharing Pard

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2009, 10:49:31 PM »
Niice arrowheads :)
 Shoulda seen the knife i found today,some old feller had some antique dressers out in his driveway and my cousin and i stopped to check them out,man he had a three car garage turned into an antique store,had a falling block 38 pistol,a 32 degree mason sword,a really nice percussion shotgun english made from england with silver inlay.A great big knife cuaght my eye and it had the pirate blade look with leather scabbard with brass at the top.The brass hilt had a meatal nub on one side and when ya slid the kinfe in the nub lined up with a hole on the hand gaurd and just on one side and about the size of a nail head.I may have to add it to my kife collection if i can talk him down some,he wanted 250 for it.Also had a chest halter for a horse with silver conchos on it,said it was made by the Visalia Saddle Co. but i could'nt find any markings.I thought i knew every dealer in town and turns out he knew my grandfather,He sure had some stuff in there.

You guys ever see a knife like that?
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2009, 08:28:16 AM »
Any body in these parts do Scrimshaw?

I am in the design stages of a very important project, I'm leaning towords a little bit on Elephant Ivory. Less than 1 1/2" diameter.

Or does any one know who a go to artist is?

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2009, 08:41:37 AM »
Ned, here is a piece I did quite a few years ago and I have done 5 or 6 powder horns.  Its really not hard to do unless you have trouble with your hands then it can be a real bear.
With what I have seen from you it shouldn't be hard for you to figure out.
 As a matter of fact I have a new knife that I just finished that I plan on doing a little scrimshawing on. I will post it under Bunkhouse Ramblins when I get it done.

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2009, 08:45:43 AM »
That's very nice Gun Butcher!

I just am not sure I want to spend the time to learn at this point.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2009, 09:16:25 AM »
 Well I get the feeling ::) that a lot of you guys spend some very productive time "learning". I have a tendency to over simplify the learning process and I am sure it shows in my finished product.  :-[
We'll move this one over to the Bunkhouse thread since it really isn't leather related.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com