Author Topic: Gunbelts- Straight or curved?  (Read 3531 times)

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Gunbelts- Straight or curved?
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2021, 12:19:46 AM »
That's a good article.

When I need a curved belt I like to put the curve in afterwards, too. It's a lot easier and you can easily adjust the curve to just the right amount.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2021, 06:52:16 AM »
If you want a belt with a even curve the whole length you can bow an aluminum straight edge laying on it's side and have someone trace it. For large patterns I do as Buck and use the heavy brown paper sides of leather come rolled in.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 05:19:34 AM »
If you can find a copy, John Bianci (sp) did a pretty good 3 part video about how to make a buscadero belt and holster.
Actually a pretty informative video set.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:24:50 AM »

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2021, 05:58:51 AM »
Thank you all for your thoughts. I've been working out a curved pattern, and I think it will work. The belt I made was for a larger guy, so it won't fit me, and he fell off the map. So, I can't judge the fit.

To be honest, the bigger struggle is, fitting the holster through the slot. I need to make the slot bigger, and the holster narrower.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2021, 07:45:46 AM »
Thank you all for your thoughts. I've been working out a curved pattern, and I think it will work. The belt I made was for a larger guy, so it won't fit me, and he fell off the map. So, I can't judge the fit.

To be honest, the bigger struggle is, fitting the holster through the slot. I need to make the slot bigger, and the holster narrower.

Unless its a common size and style belt I never cut a belt without a 50% down payment. If they back out at least you got paid for your materials since you wind up with something that you cant use and it will be doomsday before you find another person wanting the exact size, color, style, bullet loops, etc. There are just too many variables on a cartridge belt. And if they want name or initials its 100% up front.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2021, 07:59:19 AM »
Not to disparage all of the beautiful leatherwork done by the members of cascity but after I discovered how much more comfortable cotton web belts are I’ve never put on another leather gunbelt. [Except as a Sam Brown rig.]
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2021, 10:03:50 AM »

:)  Biltmore Edderd  ;)

You have really piqued my curious.  I have only given passing glance to Cotton Webb Gun Belts inna past.  Seemed they were more of a GAF/Wild Bunch/Military sort of thing.  HOWEVER:

Yours has caused me to re-think (Oh the PAIN).  Where or from Whom did you get yours??  Canvas belt with integrated 12Ga loops could be pretty fun, maybe.

Stay Safe Out There

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2021, 12:15:22 PM »
My first and favorite is an old unknown maker foragers belt with fifteen 12 gauge loops across the back with ten .45 cal rifle loops on both sides of the buckle. I built a crude piece of belt with eight 12 ga loops and three 45 loops that hooks into the .45 loops on both sides to straddle the buckle. That way I don’t need a second sg belt. I eventually had it rebuilt nicer by a real leather crafter. Gives me 23 rds of sg and a few spare .45s in case of a bonus or jack out. I also use Span Am Mills belts with 12 ga slides often. The only leather belt that I use is when I’m doing British or RNWMP as I need a Sam Brown rig.
I think my 8 rd sg-3 rd .45 rig was rebuilt for me by Stan Dolega @Wolf’s Ears. He’s also done 4 of my holsters. Love his half flaps. Check him out.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2021, 03:16:57 PM »
The guy put down 50%, and then I had some issues, delays, and then  the covid thing. Who knows what happened to him.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2021, 08:16:38 AM »

:)  Well  ;)

It just doesn't seem to matter.  At All.  Second Match of the season yesterday.  And it happened AGAIN.  Over the winter, My second favorite gun belt SHRANK!!  Safely stored in a nice warm-n-dry gun room for the winter.  Not exposed to UV, Not exposed to water.  Not exposed to excessive Cold nor Heat.  WHY??

Any you guys or gals have an Opine as to what has caused this to happen ??  I doesn't seem to matter if Older Straight belt, or more recent Contour belt ???

Stay Safe Out There

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2021, 04:21:45 PM »
Pandemic chronic waist syndrome. It’s rampant in 2020 and 2021 America. It attacks gun belts and pants belts with equal ferocity. Suspenders are usually immune for some reason. The only cure is to operate and dare say....punch another hole. It’s sad but necessary. As R. Heinlein once said, ‘there comes a time in every man’s life that he has to shoot his own dog [or punch a new hole], don’t farm it out, only makes it worse.’  Be strong CM.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2021, 04:26:42 PM »
Not wanting to stray too far off the topic but does everyone see the same sakumom add that I’m seeing of the gals nice butt in a bathing suit and if so what does that have to do with a bunch of old phart cowboys? You know bathing suits can catch the syndrome too. Now she’s gone. Next time I’ll screen shot her.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2021, 05:27:40 PM »
@ Baltimore Ed, you must be getting the premium ads, I only see the Dillon reloading ad. Wanna trade?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com