Author Topic: New Shooter meets A$$h0le at 1st shoot  (Read 17053 times)

Offline Tex Brushpopper

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Shooter meets A$$h0le at 1st shoot
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 11:22:10 AM »
Wow, I am near Atlanta, what club was that?

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 04:03:09 PM »
I don't shoot for speed, I go for a clean match and it isn't that hard when the targets are at spitting distance.  After joining the muzzle loaders and silhouette where the targets are at a distance where you actually have to aim at them, I found that CAS wasn't as much fun.  I turned 75 this past summer and I don't know how many years (hopefully a lot) that I can continue with the shooting sports.  So, I decided that to make CAS more interesting and a bit more challenging and more "cowboy".  Starting this summer, I will be shooting the handguns at the rifle targets where i actually have to aim, making it more interesting to me.  I don't give a rat's behind about score, I just want to play cowboy the way God intended, and not IPSC in cowboy boots.

I will advise the other shooters what my intentions will be, so that they don't think I have old timers disease shooting at the wrong targets. ;)
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 04:52:27 PM »
Neat idea, I like it, kinda like a Josey Wales match. Sometimes you just have to challenge yourself. That's one of the reasons I've always shot my pistols duelist. Good luck.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:19:29 PM »

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 08:03:40 PM »
Howdy Crypto Dave (nice alias) and Welcome. Hang in there pard, you didn't shake anymore than 99% of us right here....ya know we had a first match too. Sorry you ran into that :-\, it's very very rare, he was probably a wannabee anyhow :o. Kill em with honey I always say "thank you for the advice but I'm in overload right now, just gonna try to learn one thing at a time". Best place to learn the ropes and make friends quick is on the line, that's where folks are that really care about our game. Help reset KDs and shag a little brass, learn to be the best spotter in the world....it takes time and focus but it can be fun. Don't forget to drink plenty of water and sit down for a snack. Remember, when you're up to shoot that stages is yours you own it, it's yours to enjoy, take all the time you need to stage your guns, take a few breaths (exhale). Relax, smooth is fast ;)....Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 08:12:23 PM »
Dyed-in-the-wool, hard core, Gamer Sass-enachs can be hard to take.

I used to be intimidated by them. Not after watching them fall on their faces at our local matches where we put an emphasis on accuracy, not speed.
We do a man-on-man side match on 10" steel plates at 10m. Each shooter has four to hit before going for the centre mini Pepppr Popper. Our shooters love it as we draw pairs by lot. It narrows down very quickly to the finals shooters.

The Sass-enachs won't even enter it. Nor do they shoot the 100m off hand match rifle event or our Mini-Quigley on 28 oz. tomato cans also at 100m off hand. Just as well as some of their match loads wouldn't reach out that far.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 09:21:44 PM »
Well, nearly 6 months without a peep from Crypto-Dave since he popped in here.  Wonder if he gave it up????

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 12:05:45 AM »
Well, nearly 6 months without a peep from Crypto-Dave since he popped in here.  Wonder if he gave it up????
Dang, I didn't look at the OP date like I usually do ::) who drugged this thing back to life ??? TEX!! :o ;D
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 08:57:16 AM »
Neat idea, I like it, kinda like a Josey Wales match. Sometimes you just have to challenge yourself. That's one of the reasons I've always shot my pistols duelist. Good luck.

I have always shot duelist. Never saw Randolph Scott shooting two handed. ;D 
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2020, 10:26:39 PM »
Just saw this thread. I guess I'm lucky. We have nothing but good people at the club I'm involved with. OTOH, I'm involved with two of the three BP clubs that shoot at our ranges. I know and have shot and attended rendevous with guys from the other club. Then we also have an NCOWS group that maintains a range as well.  There are guys that shoot at both the BP and CAS shoots. When I went to shoot cowboy, I already knew people. It was just adjusting to a different group of people and learning how they run things. There is some razzing and poking fun at all the different matches. I shoot BP in my SAA and a full stock 1873 trapdoor. I knew I better have thick skin going in. I guess the difference, are you shooting NCOWS or SASS. My best friend that lives a couple hours south of where we shoot. Says there is a SASS group in his neck of the woods. Due to covid, I guess they haven't been shooting this summer. If they get back up and running next year, we are going to see one of their matches and see if we want to try them? Best advise, give it another shot. It is hard to enjoy oneself if you don't feel comfortable.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2020, 06:30:29 AM »
The OP " CryptoDave "  had just 2 posts over 3 years ago ....

The suggestions made were valid , however His experience was apparently defeating... 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2020, 09:47:54 AM »

:)  What??  Say it isn't so   ;)

NECROMANCY I tell ya.  It's practicing Necromancy!!  Waz a song oncest about resurrecting things should be left alone.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2020, 10:01:00 AM »
:)  What??  Say it isn't so   ;)

NECROMANCY I tell ya.  It's practicing Necromancy!!  Waz a song oncest about resurrecting things should be left alone.

Not it ain't Necromancy which Wikipedia and Britannica say is COMMUNICATING with the dead, not bringing them back.

;D ;D ;D

Dammit there's no Nanny Nanny Boo Boo emotion con deal.  Again Dammit.

OK, on the list of things to not do, search Google for "bringing back the dead"

Shot part of the GAF 2020 muster with all pistol, lost by a long shot to a guy with a Mauser Broomhandle goes by Bat Masterson.  Took me too long to reload.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2020, 07:14:53 PM »
Read this thread ages ago and thought  ---"too true by half" ----some of these guys are just AH's - others well meaning but misguided
We have one of the latter in our blackpowder club - shooting a muzzle loader aint really that difficult but this guy makes it sound sooooo complicated to new shooters he is trying to coax into our club, that they go home dazed and most are never seen again.  He means well enough I guess but "explaining"  how it works, pretty quick turns into "impressing new person with my depth of knowledge" ................................ nice bloke ----knows a lot of stuff-----very poor teacher...................   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com