Author Topic: Fort Concho  (Read 3144 times)

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fort Concho
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »
I was digging through the ol facebook photo albums and found this one from my 4 year tour at Goodfellow AFB.  I volunteered at Fort Concho and had a blast.  This was the mule team and wagon we used to ride folks around the parade field.

Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline captmack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • "TX is neither southern nor western. TX is TX"
    • Capt Mack's You Tube page
  • Liked:
Re: Fort Concho
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 02:19:33 PM »
That is very cool.  If I lived closer I would join the troop there.  One of these days I will get out there for the living history programs.

Capt. Mack
Capt Prather Scott "Mack" McLain
Senator
NCOWS Life Member #175

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:42:59 AM »
Sure thing.  Great people, who work hard to keep the place shining, and a great volunteer corps.

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:42:09 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 07:46:29 AM »
Bro. Lew, You look spiffy in your uniform and those are some fine looking Mules.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 11:02:16 AM »
The wife and I traveled thru the area last winter.  We stopped at Fort Stockton and Fort Concho.  Very nice posts but we were not there during any events. 

I would go back in a heart beat.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 02:40:54 PM »
I would definitely recommend visiting at Christmas during the big event.  There are lots of folks who come and camp out on the parade field, and also bunk out in the barracks.  Tons of activities all weekend.

http://www.fortconcho.com/christmas.htm

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 09:22:19 AM »
The National Cavalry Competition was there in 2010.  We may go back sometime in the next couple of years.  It was one of the few times we've been in an "urban area."  It did require some compromises (particularly for the Major Howze Mobility Event) but was otherwise a good time.  We got a lot of support from the Fort personnel, the city, and the local media.

Just a reminder:  This year's NCC will be at Ft. Riley, KS from 19-22 SEP.  Go to http://www.uscavalry.org/events/current-events.html for all the details!!!

SQQ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com