Author Topic: USMC 1875 Uniform Plates  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
USMC 1875 Uniform Plates
« on: January 16, 2012, 05:12:21 PM »
First off, thanks to the General for sending the plates he has access to.  They're very helpful, but I'm trying to track down more of them.  The Naval Institute Press has about four of them, but they want $23.75 a piece for them!  From what I can tell, some information out there is probably incorrect according to what I can see in the plates and the few pictures I've been able to locate.  Hopefully, someday someone will put the entire 1875 Regulations online so we can do some better research.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: USMC 1875 Uniform Plates
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:57:04 AM »
Ned,

I've asked the Uniform Curator at the Museum to send me a copy of the 1875 regulations.  I only have a partial set of them. 

When I receive them I'll send a copy to you and to Col Bull Schmidt for posting on the GAF website.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 10:30:03 AM »
Thanks, General!

I had been under the impression that the 1892 and 1900 uniforms weren't overly well documented, but they are like Civil War uniforms compared to the 1875 Marine uniforms.  Not much information out there!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:30:15 PM »

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 09:52:25 PM »
I've got a copy of the 1900 and 1904 regs.  I'll get them to Col Bull for posting as well.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 05:51:41 AM »
Good morning, General!

That sounds great!  One of the guys at the museum (Owen Conner I think) said the original 1875 regulations are contained in the Marine Corps' archives.  Do you know where that would be?  From what he said, he didn't have access to them, so I'm guessing it's somewhere other than the museum?  I would have thought the museum had all that stuff.

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 07:16:07 AM »
Good morning, General!

That sounds great!  One of the guys at the museum (Owen Conner I think) said the original 1875 regulations are contained in the Marine Corps' archives.  Do you know where that would be?  From what he said, he didn't have access to them, so I'm guessing it's somewhere other than the museum?  I would have thought the museum had all that stuff.

The Museum is only one section of the Historical Division.  When I was assigned to the reserve component of the Historical Division, the Archives and research library were all housed in the same building as the Museum at the Navy Yard.  Now the Museum is a separate facility.  There is also another facility located at Quantico that maintains the material archives (equipment, uniforms, weapons, etc) that are not on display. 

I believe the Archives still remain at the Navy Yard so plan to pay them a visit once I'm back from an upcoming trip to Iceland next week.  As an aside, I've applied to be a volunteer at the Museum which should give me greater access to some of the collection.

US Scout
Brig Gen, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com