Author Topic: H&R Trapdoor Officer's Model  (Read 5381 times)

Offline Patrick Henry Brown

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
H&R Trapdoor Officer's Model
« on: October 15, 2009, 08:19:55 AM »
I'm expecting delivery of an H&R Officer's Model Trapdoor in the next day or so. It is unfired, but that will pass shortly. Does anyone here have any idea what the twist rate is on these? Also, I have two molds on hand in .458, the Lee 500 gr. Spire Point and the Lee 340 gr. RNFP. My 405 HB Lee Mold is junk after only a couple hundred rounds, so it isn't an option. I figure with the 340 I would use a lube cookie or such. I have on hand Goex 2FG and Pinnacle 3Fg and 777 2FG. If any of you have pet loads that work well in your H&R Trapdoors, I'd appreciate a PM with the data.

Also, any hints or things to watch for would be appreciated. I've heard about the breechblock popping open on some H&R's. I know there was a solution, but cannot seem to locate a definitive description of the repair online. Thanks.

Preacher Clint

44caliberkid

Re: H&R Trapdoor Officer's Model
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 08:29:27 AM »
I don't know much about H&R's, but I'd start with the 340 grain.   Funny you should mention your problem with the Lee 405 HB mold.  I have one that after about 150 casts started leaving bad flashing all around the bullet.   I thought about sending it back to Lee and see if they'd send me a new one.   Anyone else have trouble with this mold?

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:04:19 AM »
I've been using one for years, thousand of bullets thru it, never had a problem yet.  Check your locator pins, A bit of crud compressed on one can cause flashing.  I also lube the mold with wax every few hundred casts.  IE when the mold is hot touch the wax (a candle for me) to the hinge screw of the top plate, and just touch the locator pins.  Really helps.  Lee has instructions for this in the Mold Paperwork.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:56:41 AM »

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 11:44:30 AM »
I`ve never had a problem with Lee .405 eaither  , I always smoke it up real good with a candle before I heat it ...been casting with it for 5 years or so .
I`d call Lee if I hadf a problem with it though , I hear they are good folks to make things right .
I`ve always felt I have gotten more than my moneys worth out of their products .
I`ve only bought Lyman molds because of a size or type bullet Lee doesn`t have .
I don`t cast with the Lyman molds that often but the ones I have are very pickey molds ..in compairson to my Lees .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Offline Gatofeo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 02:18:52 AM »
I have a Harrington & Richardson Little Bighorn Commemorative carbine. Bought it new in 1977.
Very well made. Never a problem.
From the beginning, I've used Lyman's 457193 flatpoint bullet, because I also bought a Marlin 1895 about the same time. Made sense to use one bullet for both rifles, and I have not been disappointed.
I am unsure of the twist rate on my H&R copy of the 1873 Springfield. It's been an accurate rifle through the years, with that bullet cast of nearly pure lead, lubricated with a lube designed for black powder, and loaded over Goex FFG black powder, leaving just enough room to seat the bullet. I use a Winchester Large Rifle Primer, though some prefer the Federal primer.
The sights on this carbine are somewhat disappointing. They're tang sights, but the aperture must be moved up and down or sideways by finger pressure alone. There is no click adjustment.
However, I got it sighted in for the above load years ago, at 100 yards, and haven't touched it since.
I don't shoot at long range with this rifle. I'm pretty much an "advanced plinker."
But the H&R quality is very high. I've had a few offers for it, but everyone wants to offer $200, believing that they have a fool on their hands.
I only look that way ...  ;D
"A vast desert. Smoke. Brimstone. Pierced parchment. The ugly cat is much amused." -- The Quantrains of Gatodamus (1503-1566)

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 07:26:45 AM »
The sights on this carbine are somewhat disappointing. They're tang sights, but the aperture must be moved up and down or sideways by finger pressure alone. There is no click adjustment.

From what I gather thats the way they were, no clicks, just continual screw adjustment.

All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 11:49:11 AM »
I have a Harrington & Richardson Little Bighorn Commemorative carbine. Bought it new in 1977. I've had a few offers for it, but everyone wants to offer $200, believing that they have a fool on their hands.

$300.00!  I'll give you $300.00 for it.  I don't think you're a fool at all.  Not even a little bit.  I'll even pay shipping for it.  Whaddaya say.  Huh?  Whaddaya say?  Is it a deal?  Well is it?

(Dang, I hope he's stupid enough to fall for this.  ::))
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 05:11:49 PM »
We gotta auction comin on here!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com