Author Topic: Marlin '95 45-70  (Read 16781 times)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Marlin '95 45-70
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 10:07:42 PM »
Howdy Pards
The Marlin 1895 in an Excellent weapon . They work Great for Hunters or Shooters . I have one of the Limited ones with a 24 inch half Octagon barrel ,  love to hunt with it .

Offline Chaa Duu Ba Its Iidan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 12:55:54 AM »
I have one of these guns.  Quite simply, it is what I call a "point shooter".  For my particular stature or confirmation, the gun raises and shoulders naturally, with no adjusting required.  My eye comes right onto the line of siight and it immediately sights in to where I point it.  It eats everything I put in it.  Once, I saw a coyote running up the side of a barren hill and I ran into the house, grabbed the gun and stuffed a few rounds into it as I came back out.  By now, the coyote was about 400 yards out and running as well as it could up this steep hill.  I was shooting off hand with open iron sights.  The only reason I missed him was that I didn't lead him enough.  You could see the large cloud of dust erupt about 3 feet behind the coyote when this huge slow-moving freight train of a bullet impacted the ground.  I was literally too amazed to shoot again.  Another time in SASS long range competition, I fired 10hits for 10shots with the same gun, off hand, with open iron sights with borrowed lead bullet reloads at 200 yards on a steel 18-inch target.  This rifle takes the frustration out of shooting big bore guns.
Chaa Duu Ba Its Iidan

Offline WyrTwister

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 07:22:41 AM »
Hi guys, just obtained this big levergun.

Anyone else got one of these and know of any pit-falls?

I shall only be using it for side-shoots, ( they sort of frown on using one of these for rabbits in England!!)

I've read all sorts of internet blogs and no-one seems to find anything bad to say about them,,are they really that good???

Any (light-medium) load info and expected range distances would be appreciated

AE ( Getting a little excited now, got to get to the range!)

I have an old one with a Micro Groove barrel and a newer one with a Ballard barrel .

It has been years since I have shot anything through them except cast lead .  Almost all with home cast lead .

Marlins like big bullets , I am shooting a ~ 405 grain HB Lee bullet sized to .460" .  Small bullets tend to tumble if pushed very fast .

For a cream puff ( and cheap ) load that can be shot all day , try 300 - 405 grain bullet with 13.5 - 13.6 grains of Unique .

They are accurate , as long as you can crank in the proper elevation .

God bless
Wyr

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:31:41 AM »

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 06:59:18 PM »
I've got one... what can I say?... I put bullets in it and it simply works every time.

I have used both 350 grain JHPs (flat shooting, 200+ yards) and 500 grain cast HP's (big, heavy, 100-ish yards). It works fine with ether.

Mine has a 3-9 variable scope on it.

I assume you reload. If you don't, it is expensive and difficult to properly feed.

Offline Slow Motion Bob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 12:37:09 PM »
Hello,

I have an Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45/70. It`s a very nice Gun but with Original Sights the Gun shoot to low. For Front Sight I have ordered a Marble Diopter. Hope I became this in the next Time.

I shoot this Gun of 100 Meters.

I have tested three different Loads.

The first Load was an 350 Gr. Bullet from H u. N with 15 Gr. Trail Boss. This load its my Mind to small

The second Load is with an 350 Gr. Bullet from H u. N. and 50 Gr. IMR 3031. This Load is very Strong.

The Third Load ist with 350 Gr. Bullet from H u. N and 30 Gr. Vitavuhori N 110. Thats my Mind the Best Load for Präzision Shooting with Marlin 1895 in 45/70.

Greetings

Bob

PS: All Load Datas without Engagement and own Risk.

Offline WyrTwister

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 03:39:55 AM »
Hi guys, just obtained this big levergun.

Anyone else got one of these and know of any pit-falls?

I shall only be using it for side-shoots, ( they sort of frown on using one of these for rabbits in England!!)

I've read all sorts of internet blogs and no-one seems to find anything bad to say about them,,are they really that good???

Any (light-medium) load info and expected range distances would be appreciated

AE ( Getting a little excited now, got to get to the range!)

I have one bought in the 1970's and one bought a year or two ago .

Great rifles .

For a cream puff load , 13.5 - 13.6 grains of Unique behind 300 - 405 grain home cast bullet .

Word of advice , they like big bullets .  I mostly shoot the Lee 405 grain Hollow Base bullet , sized to .460" .  Tumble lubed .

Or paper path the smaller bullets with cigarette paper .

God bless
Wyr

Offline doubs43

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 11:07:42 AM »
I've owned the Cowboy model for just over a year now. It's used in our local steel silhouette matches out to 150 meters so I put a hooded post front sight and Marble's tang sight on it. I replaced the rear barrel sight with a blank insert.

Problems? The magazine tube screw at the muzzle backed out so I cleaned the threads, put clear fingernail polish on the screw and tightened it down. Problem fixed! The tang sight will hit me above the eye if I get too close so I make sure I keep my face back. The trigger also makes my finger sore and I don't really know why... but it does.

I shoot the same load in my Marlin as I do in the much heavier Pedersoli 1874 Sharps, 1875 Sharps and Winchester Hi-Wall. I use a 320 grain cast bullet, 3.0 grains of WW-231 and 57.0 grains of WC-860 for a velocity of 1600 FPS. It will reliably take down a large steel ram at 225 yards.

There's really no downside to the 1895 Marlin. It's a great rifle that is accurate and fun to shoot.

Offline WyrTwister

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 12:08:24 PM »
Hello,

I have an Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45/70. It`s a very nice Gun but with Original Sights the Gun shoot to low. For Front Sight I have ordered a Marble Diopter. Hope I became this in the next Time.

I shoot this Gun of 100 Meters.

I have tested three different Loads.

The first Load was an 350 Gr. Bullet from H u. N with 15 Gr. Trail Boss. This load its my Mind to small

The second Load is with an 350 Gr. Bullet from H u. N. and 50 Gr. IMR 3031. This Load is very Strong.

The Third Load ist with 350 Gr. Bullet from H u. N and 30 Gr. Vitavuhori N 110. Thats my Mind the Best Load for Präzision Shooting with Marlin 1895 in 45/70.

Greetings

Bob

PS: All Load Datas without Engagement and own Risk.

If your gun shoots low and you have a plane blade front sight , File it down .  A little at a time untill you get it where you want it .  Trial and error .

God bless
Wyr

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 03:51:31 PM »
Modern reloading manuals list three loads for the 45/70.  First is the trapdoor load, then the 1886 load and finally the Ruger No 1 load.  Other guns are listed too.  I'd just follow the load listed for the trapdoor and shoot it with the 405 or 310 bullet.  With a modern barrel jacketed bullets work well.  You can load that modern Marlin 95 as hot as the Ruger No 1, and when doing so it'll really talk to you!  They kill at both ends. With light loads they are fun to shoot.  They kick just enough so that you know you are shooting something big, but not so hard that it's uncomfortable.  For instance I never shoot hot loads from the bench...they kick that hard.

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 10:28:45 AM »
+1 on that dead1 - I learned the hard way :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com