Author Topic: Lookin at my first Spencer  (Read 976 times)

Offline BSeitz

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lookin at my first Spencer
« on: May 16, 2023, 11:34:14 AM »
I will be bidding on a Spencer rifle at a local auction and would like to know if there is anything that I should look for, both problems and pluses. I know nothing about them other than the roll they played in the Civil War. Inspection is on the day of the auction.
Thank you in advance.

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Lookin at my first Spencer
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 03:38:52 PM »
Hello, BSeitz:
Condition is everything.
Be sure you have a decent inspection/return timeframe. Replacement original parts are often scarce and expensive.
Be sure there are no bulges in the bore by running tightly patched rod through to feel for loose spots.
Check that the hammer holds at both half and full cock and its spur and nose are not damaged.
Feel hammer at half cock for wiggle.
Don't pull the trigger at half cock. 
Look for stock cracks.
Hopefully lettering is clear.
If ok and you keep it, please send clear photo's including frame number on top rear of receiver.
Lots of help here. Smiles
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny

Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 06:16:53 PM »
El Supremo covers it.  I would only add a suggestion that you check to see if the receiver is peened out where the hammer strikes it--that can happen if it is dry-fired too much.  Too much dry firing can create a small lump in the breech end of the barrel that is enough to prevent a case from chambering.  Also, check the buttstock again for cracks--they are common and tough to fix.

I realize the inspection is "day of" for the auction, but if  you arrived early and posted a few photos here, you might get some useful feedback before bidding-time.  Photos of buttstock, top and sides of receiver, and rear sight area would capture most of what is needed for evaluation.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:08:42 AM »

Offline BSeitz

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 04:41:57 PM »
Just saw the rifle and it has a Stabler cut off. The serial number is below 6000 but I didn't get the exact number. It looks nice with very good rifling.

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 09:16:36 AM »
Maybe a serious bidding war for the same/different rifle.  I suppose it could be that someone removed the cutoff between looker no. 1 and looker no. 2.  I wonder what other parts will disappear between now and when the auction takes place. 

And when is this auction gonna happen anyway?  They don't seem to be in much of a hurry.

Will the real Spencer-looker (if there is one) please raise your hand?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com