Author Topic: New Holster For A Ruger BH 44 Special  (Read 803 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 695
New Holster For A Ruger BH 44 Special
« on: August 23, 2023, 08:30:35 AM »
For the last few months I have been reading lots of writings by men like Elmer Keith & Skeeter Skelton. Normally I am a 45 Colt guy. It's prob. my favorite overall caliber.

That said, after reading the above mentioned I had started to see how good a 44 Special could be and really started wanting one. Took me a couple months of looking nearly every day but I finally found the revolver I was after. I was looking for a Ruger Flattop Bisley Blackhawk with a 5.5" barrel in 44 special. I am happy to say that it arrived I am very happy to have it.

While waiting on the components to arrive to load for a new caliber such as brass, dies, bullets etc I decided that of course it needed to have a new holster made for it.

I decided on a cross draw holster that hopefully Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton would be proud of. I know Keith liked a Lawrence 120 so I loosely modeled this one after one of those but with a few changes/flairs of my own.

I made this cross draw holster with a top strap, basketweave pattern, Ruger logo and borderstamp. I picked saddle tan for the color with some antique paste in the stampings. I lined the holster in suede and finished it with a coat of tan kote and then Fiebings Saddle Lac

Here is what I come up with.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New Holster For A Ruger BH 44 Special
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 08:32:48 AM »
Few more.

I will enjoy carrying this hunting this season and hopefully my first handgun harvest of a large game animal.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 09:37:52 AM »
Outstanding! This is as good as it gets.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:59:30 AM »

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 09:40:15 AM »
Outstanding! This is as good as it gets.

Thank you. I am pleased with the way it turned out overall.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 10:26:27 AM »
Looks great, Rube. Very nice work, some of your best. Nice, even BW, there. What did you do for the Ruger logo? It looks like a ready made stamp.

Now, a fun side note. A friend called me the other day and he was all excited that he got his first Ruger single action. He sent me a photo and guess what? It's identical to yours except it's in stainless. Barrel length? 5-1/2". The caliber? 44 special. Are all the Ruger Flattop Blackhawk Bisleys made in 44 spl or something? Those are nice looking pieces. Congrats.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 01:20:22 PM »
Looks great, Rube. Very nice work, some of your best. Nice, even BW, there. What did you do for the Ruger logo? It looks like a ready made stamp.

Now, a fun side note. A friend called me the other day and he was all excited that he got his first Ruger single action. He sent me a photo and guess what? It's identical to yours except it's in stainless. Barrel length? 5-1/2". The caliber? 44 special. Are all the Ruger Flattop Blackhawk Bisleys made in 44 spl or something? Those are nice looking pieces. Congrats.

They make them in .45 Colt also I think. I did not know the stainless ones were flattops. I thought they had the ears on them by the rear sight.

As for the Ruger stamp, I have a friend who made me a stamp.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 01:46:03 PM »
They make them in .45 Colt also I think. I did not know the stainless ones were flattops. I thought they had the ears on them by the rear sight.

As for the Ruger stamp, I have a friend who made me a stamp.
Now you have me going. I called him and he's going to send me another photo of it. Cool that your friend made a stamp for you.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2023, 02:48:38 PM »
Now you have me going. I called him and he's going to send me another photo of it. Cool that your friend made a stamp for you.

I'd be curious to know if its a Flattop or not. Lipsey's is the only ones who had the Flattop 44 specials and I never saw one in stainless. Not that it would have changed my  mind. I like a blued gun. I am just curious.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2023, 03:09:39 PM »
I'd be curious to know if its a Flattop or not. Lipsey's is the only ones who had the Flattop 44 specials and I never saw one in stainless. Not that it would have changed my  mind. I like a blued gun. I am just curious.
I sent you an email so we don't clutter up this thread. I also prefer blued but not everyone does.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 04:18:25 PM »
I sent you an email so we don't clutter up this thread. I also prefer blued but not everyone does.

Thanks.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com