Author Topic: Taylors & Co Commanchero 1873 rifle  (Read 6393 times)

Taylors & Co Commanchero 1873 rifle
« on: July 29, 2013, 12:23:07 AM »
I have my revolvers (Ruger Vaqueros) and now need to get a rifle to round out my gear.  I’m looking at a Taylors & Co “Commanchero” 1873 rifle in 45LC.

I don’t really know much about Taylors & Co other than I was told they are made by Uberti, and this particular model is supposed to be already “tuned” and have the short action kit in it.  Not a cheap gun by any means, but pretty!  ::)

It's a lot of money to put out, and I was wondering what kind of reputation these rifles have.   :-\

Thoughts or comments?  Is it worth that kind of money ???

Re: Taylors & Co Commanchero 1873 rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:50:41 AM »
Geez  ..... not even ONE comment?  Don't know if that's good or bad.   ??? ;)

Either nobody has one, or nobody wants to comment on what they think of theirs .........  ;D

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 01:15:41 PM »
Geez  ..... not even ONE comment?  Don't know if that's good or bad.   ??? ;)

Either nobody has one, or nobody wants to comment on what they think of theirs .........  ;D

I guess you will have to wait until somebody comes along who believes in short stroking rifles.   :-\
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:23:19 AM »

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 03:42:01 PM »
I guess you will have to wait until somebody comes along who believes in short stroking rifles.   :-\

Now that's an interesting comment, and I appreciate it.  Seriously.  I may be missing something here.  I'm new to this style of shooting, and I admit I don't know much about some of the equipment.  I thought a "tuned" (I guess that means short stroked) rifle was the way to go if you could.  :-\

It was my understanding this was what I would want/need, and you either took your rifle in to somebody qualified to work on it and had it "tuned" - or you bought one done up in the first place.  Not having access to anybody who can tune them, I thought I'd get one already done.

So you are saying this is NOT the way I should be going ..............................  ???

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 03:17:14 PM »
Howdy Frank, yes it is much easier to get one slicked up and ready to go, saves the cost of shipping back and forth to gunsmiths. I have bought slicked up 73s from Pioneer Gun Works  and Cowboys & Indians, both were well worth it. Taylors has a great reputation of customer service, the other guns they sell tuned and ready to go have all had good reviews. I bought the Taylors Smokewagons when they came out, great guns. The Commanchero has not been around that long so we don't really know whos links they are using, doesn't really matter as long as it is tuned right. It's still an Uberit like all the others and I'm sure it's a fine gun.
     The only thing I would reconsider is the caliber, the 45 Colt is a great pistol caliber but does tend to have more fouling in the chamber of a rifle because it's a straight wall case. This can be reduced by shooting a heavier bullet and moderate load. The 44/40 is a much better caliber for the rifle, especially if you plan to shoot Black Powder. However if you don't want to load two different calibers the 45 should serve you well, there are thousands of them out there. Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 12:11:16 PM »
Thanks Jefro.  That's good to hear.  :)

Offline Ordnancebob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 11:38:42 AM »
 I have a 24" model in .44wcf.
Have  had it for 2 years with no problems. Shoot "Classisc Cowboy" with Trailboss and "Pale Rider' with APP. Works slick and stays clean being in .44wcf.

Sua Tela Tonanti
Ordnancebob

Offline Vernon/IN

• Top Active Citizen
  • Hirams Rangers #14
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 11:47:54 AM »
One thing to keep in mind is the fact that the rifle in question will not be useable in NCOWS matches, short stroke rifles are not approved.

If you will not be involved in NCOWS, this is a non issue, I just thought I'd mention it in case you have any NCOWS groups near you.
Hirams Rangers #14
NCOWS # 527
The American Plainsman Society
AZSA #83L
NRA
NMLRA
WartHog
Soot Lord
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)

Offline Ordnancebob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 12:31:45 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is the fact that the rifle in question will not be useable in NCOWS matches, short stroke rifles are not approved.

If you will not be involved in NCOWS, this is a non issue, I just thought I'd mention it in case you have any NCOWS groups near you.
I guess one has to look at what one wishes to shoot!
There is no NCOWS up here in Ontario. I shoot SASS. Barrie"Bar E ranch" is 20 minutes drive Burlington 1.5 hrs as is Hamilton. Ibelieve I would have to go out of country for NCOWS, NY or Michigan?

Sua Tela Tonanti
Ordnancebob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com