Author Topic: First time cas do I have a good set up?  (Read 6101 times)

Offline briscojr

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First time cas do I have a good set up?
« on: July 22, 2013, 03:21:41 PM »
So, I am going to the range tomorrow to do some practicing, still got a few loose ends to tie up before i go to my first local match. Need my ammo belt, cross draw holster im using a nylon one now, and shotgun i want a 1897 pump so for now im practicing using a modern day pump.

Anyways I have a rossi m92 24" barrel octo in 357/38
Uberti cattleman 357/38 4 3/4 barrel
And I have been using a traditions clone 1851 cap and ball 44 cal to practice my transitions

These are the two things i need help with. Is my rifle a good choice. I know it needs the action slicked up. But is the longer barrel going to hinder me any?.
Also I am going to replace my 1851 for a cartridge revolver
Most people seem to shoot double the same pistol
But I enjoy collecting different types of guns. So I have been looking at a 1860 Richards-Mason .38 Special, 5 1/2 in. Barrel by cimarron
Is this ok? Or again will I have issues going from a saa to an open top?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Re: First time cas do I have a good set up?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:16:59 PM »
You'll be fine, with an OT.... just don't try to race it with two hands ,it could over rotate ,some do...but that can be tuned.

Now if you wanted to and your shooting SASS, you might consider a cylinder conversion for the 44 Navy it would shoot 45's   
Course you are already shooting 38's so the above may not be in you best interest ammo wise....

The Rossi will serve you....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1224
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:20:25 PM »
Howdy Briscojr and welcome!

The guns you have should be fine to start with.  '92's sometimes are finicky about the cartridge length and bullet shape that they will reliably feed.  If yours functions okay with what you are feeding it, you are good to go there.  If not, you may need to feed it something else or it may need to visit a good '92 'smith.   Most of the faster guys like 18-20" barrels, but longer works fine and some folks find that the longer barrel holds more steady for them.  As for pistols, again the faster guys usually shoot "matched" pairs.  But lots of folks also shoot mismatched pairs because that's what they have, or they just like the variety.  My first four revolver purchases for CAS were a 5 1/2" .44 Spcl Colt, then a 4 5/8" .45 Vaquero, then a 7 1/2" 1st gen Colt .45, then a 7 1/2" '51 Richards-Mason .38.  Had great fun mixing them up.  Later I got matches for all but the Vaquero (turned out I liked the Colt style better).  So even though I have matching pairs now, I switch between them which is still not the best way to get real fast, but I don't care and don't have the time or ambition to practice enough to be real fast anyway.

If your ambition is to become a top shooter as soon as possible, get a matching pistol and a '66 or '73 or Marlin rifle and practice, practice, practice.  If you want to just have a lot of fun and progress at your own rate, shoot what you like.  If you stick with the game you will be buying lots more guns later anyway  :)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:18:45 PM »

Offline briscojr

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 04:35:41 PM »
You'll be fine, with an OT.... just don't try to race it with two hands ,it could over rotate ,some do...but that can be tuned.

Now if you wanted to and your shooting SASS, you might consider a cylinder conversion for the 44 Navy it would shoot 45's   
Course you are already shooting 38's so the above may not be in you best interest ammo wise....

The Rossi will serve you....

I thought about the conversion. Bout half the cost of a new gun but. I have the confederate navy, brass frame. I have been told conversions can only be done on steel frames. And like you mentioned i already have everything else in 38
Thanks for input

Offline briscojr

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 04:37:43 PM »
Howdy Briscojr and welcome!

The guns you have should be fine to start with.  '92's sometimes are finicky about the cartridge length and bullet shape that they will reliably feed.  If yours functions okay with what you are feeding it, you are good to go there.  If not, you may need to feed it something else or it may need to visit a good '92 'smith.   Most of the faster guys like 18-20" barrels, but longer works fine and some folks find that the longer barrel holds more steady for them.  As for pistols, again the faster guys usually shoot "matched" pairs.  But lots of folks also shoot mismatched pairs because that's what they have, or they just like the variety.  My first four revolver purchases for CAS were a 5 1/2" .44 Spcl Colt, then a 4 5/8" .45 Vaquero, then a 7 1/2" 1st gen Colt .45, then a 7 1/2" '51 Richards-Mason .38.  Had great fun mixing them up.  Later I got matches for all but the Vaquero (turned out I liked the Colt style better).  So even though I have matching pairs now, I switch between them which is still not the best way to get real fast, but I don't care and don't have the time or ambition to practice enough to be real fast anyway.

If your ambition is to become a top shooter as soon as possible, get a matching pistol and a '66 or '73 or Marlin rifle and practice, practice, practice.  If you want to just have a lot of fun and progress at your own rate, shoot what you like.  If you stick with the game you will be buying lots more guns later anyway  :)

Yeah not planning on becoming a top shooter just for fun, haha.
I have noticed what you mentioned with the 92 being finicky already. Im going to range again tomorrow. Ill definitely try a variety of 38 this time
Thanks

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 05:28:13 PM »
Sure thing Pard, you have plenty to build on there. I wouldn't worry too much about what you are shooting with. The important thing is to shoot and shoot a lot. At least 90% of your improvement over the years will come from sending lead downrange, not in slicker or more expensive or fancier guns. Shoot what you have and then shoot what makes you happy. There are plenty of Pards out there that shoot cap and ball, not because they have to but because they like to. Enjoy and welcome to the club.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »
I thought about the conversion. Bout half the cost of a new gun but. I have the confederate navy, brass frame. I have been told conversions can only be done on steel frames. And like you mentioned i already have everything else in 38
Thanks for input

Ahhh Ok yeah ! skip the conversion then  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1224
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 06:01:23 PM »
As a general rule, a .357 '92 will work better with .357 than .38.  So the longer the OAL on your .38's the better (and RNFP or TC bullets rather than semiwadcutters).  If you are a reloader you can make up some dummy rounds to see how they feed.  Good luck.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 08:02:28 PM »
Don't buy anything else until after you've shot at a few matches. If anyone offers to let you try their guns,
 do it.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 01:14:54 PM »
Don't buy anything else until after you've shot at a few matches. If anyone offers to let you try their guns,
 do it.
What Shotgun said.....don't spend one more dime untill you've gone to several matches, try the different firearms first......then buy what suits you. Abilene also gives good advice, the 92 will work fine, find out what it will feed. Most shooters like 18"- 20" barrel, easier to move around doors, windows, props. Matching six guns will be more consistant. Start going to matches with what you have, borrow the rest. Good Luck :)

#1 mistake by new shooters............buying guns and gear before trying all the different types
#2 mistake by new shooters............building a huge heavy monster of a gun cart ;D

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 05:21:47 PM »
I was lucky as I had a sxs shotgun sitting in the safe and a pair of 1858 Remingtons so all I had to buy was a rifle.  I bought a 1892 Rossi in 45 Colt from Nate Kiowa Jones already slicked up and it works fine.  I later found two original 1897 Winchester shotguns and after that I bought two Ruger New Vaquero Bisleys and really like them (also 45 Colt).  As some of the others said, shoot what you have and look around at what other people shoot and ask questions.  CAS shootiers are a great bunch and will help you out.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline briscojr

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 09:57:47 AM »
Well I appreciate all the advice, been soaking it all in.
Definitely want to go to an event but it may be a little while still.
My uberti cattleman broke again yesterday,  :'( got to get that fixed. this time it was the sear and base pin screw fell out. I wish uberti had better customer service  >:(
And i have decided when i get some spare cash to send my rossi to steve gunz. I noticed yesterday that the stiff action really affected my speed and mostly accuracy. While taking my time i was hitting a 5 gallon bucket freehand at 100 yards, and shooting those mini soda cans at 25 yards. once i tried going fast that clunky action made accuracy hard. lol

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 10:50:30 AM »
If you intend to shoot CAS, shooting your rifle at 100 yards and soda cans at 25 yards with your revolver is a complete waste of time.  Go to a couple of matches and just watch.  The revolver targets are normally large steel plates and the farthest any are is ten yards.  Rifles are generally about 15 yards max.  CAS shooting, especially SASS events, are close and fast.  A lot of us old pharts can't see 100 yards anymore, let alone hit a target quickly off-hand.  After many years, match directors have found people like to hit the targets and don't want to shoot long-range bulls eye events.  So, the norm is close and fast.  A few people will pipe in and say their club shoots farther.  However, those clubs are usually small and small for a reason.  CAS shooting is about entertainment and people aren't entertained if they have lots of misses at a match.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com