Author Topic: New Pedersoli 1859 berdan Sharps  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Hickok

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Pedersoli 1859 berdan Sharps
« on: July 09, 2013, 09:07:50 AM »
Had to search around to find one, but located one in Alabama. Beautiful rifle, and shoots very well. Pedersoli 54 caliber 1859 Sharps Berdan.

Using a load of 50 gr. Goex 2f and a 475gr. Rapine pure lead ringtail bullet, it shoots 1 inch or less at 50 yards for three shots and into 1.5-2" @ 100 yards for three shots. Made my own cardbaord tubes for on the ringtail, but will order some Hahn tubes soon.

I am going to have to send it to Mr. Charlie Hahn for his o-ring modification, as the falling breech block gets real stiff after about 6 shots, and the gas plate has already gotten a few small marks from gas errosion. I knew I would have to send it off To Mr. hahn before I bought it, after reading all about gas leakage and BP fouling of the breech block on Pedersoli's Sharps, so it is no big deal.

This rifle shoots excellent, even with the CW era sights, which are very fine, the front sight is about the width of dime!

Pedersoli sure makes a great barrel, as this one looks like a polished mirror inside. No leading and cleans up with just a couple of patches. The double set triggers are really nice.

As I shoot it more, I will post results.  Very happy with this rifle!
All credit and praise to Lord Jesus

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Pedersoli 1859 berdan Sharps
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 06:32:57 PM »
I've got two Shiloh '63's - a Military Rifle and a carbine, both in .50.

Both are very accurate and I ought to shoot them more often. Biggest issue I'm having is the usual gas cutting on the sheer plate face. I can live with it, but it's a pain.

Tearing down the breech block every time for cleaning is a must with these rifles. I often wonder how Civil War soldiers managed this in the field ....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com