Author Topic: Pietta 1862 Army Police  (Read 5004 times)

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pietta 1862 Army Police
« on: September 01, 2008, 08:55:40 PM »
Well I took my new twin girls out for a walk today and all I can say is WHOOOHOOO.
Out of the box they weren't half bad, good crisp triggers at about 2 1/2 lbs and the hammer springs don't take a rope and pulley to cock them.  OK the loading lever is a little short but thanks to the pards on this forum I was ready for that.
Loaded with 22 gr. of the Holy Black (fffg Goex) and a .375 ball their POI was about 1in. to the left of POA at 15 yards. Off hand I printed 25 rounds in an area you could cover with a coffee saucer.
 Only had one problem with a cap coming off and jamming up the works and I was using some old Navy Arms no.1075 caps that I found stashed in a box in the shop. I think a judicious application of Treso nipples and some decent caps will cure that problem.
 Gottem from Cabelas and for the price I don't see how you can beatem. They just became my favorite shootin irons.
                                                               Gun Butcher ;D

Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Alabama

Re: Pietta 1862 Army Police
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 09:15:40 PM »
They are pretty nice guns arent they  ;D
 I know I liked mine till I just gave it to my friend that is a newbie .
Glad your having a good time , and twins are nice huh !!!!!
Excellent little revolvers , and for the price your right , you can't go wrong .
A short barreled 61 Navy is a hard Colt to not like anyway , and that tis what you got .  ;D
Enjoy , sounds like they are enjoying being taken out themselves too  ;D

Sincerely, Alabama

Offline Filthy Lucre

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 12:28:40 AM »
Shooting mine for the first time in a match on sunday. I did put a Gunslinger main spring in one of the guns. Had to modify it a bit. Put some Slix-Shot nipples on them so I'm good to go.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:14:05 AM »

Offline Karl

• Very Active Citizen
  • Juneau Gold Miners' Posse
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »

Just to be clear that we are talking about basically the same pistols, your 1862s are like the nickled ones on the left in this picture?

I have used these for years in CAS.  The nickel plating makes them much easier to clean up.  I found that .375 round balls were not quite large enough.  They did not leave a complete lead ring when loaded.  I found a mold for .380 rb and they sealed much better and I was surprised how much harder/louder they hit the steel targets.  You wouldn't think that 0.005" would make that much of a difference.  The nipples are a little fat for no. 10 caps but that might be the plating.  I am reading a bit about using JB Weld to fill in the notch in the hammer to help prevent jams caused by spread caps but I have not doe this yet.  They have been very good pistols.  

I like 15gr of FFFg unless the weather is wet (we live in a RAINforest) or powder is questionable then I switch to a 20gr spout. 
-Karl  SASS #1772 "Max Degen"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com