Author Topic: Trapdoor for Uberti 1866?  (Read 9249 times)

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Trapdoor for Uberti 1866?
« on: January 21, 2016, 12:38:56 PM »
 Anyone ever installed or adapted a trapdoor in the butt plate to an 1866 or 1873?

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Trapdoor for Uberti 1866?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 06:36:55 PM »
Far too complicated & difficult for little gain IMO.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 08:13:29 PM »
If your talking about a "Cartridge Trap" ... No.  Re:  FCK
If your talking about something resembling a "Patch Box" in the side of the butt stock, NO.  Re:  FCK.
If your talking about the Door and Hole in the stock for a cleaning rod, yes.  Just swap out a Henry butt stock.  To actually modify an
existing '66 butt stock, Re:  FCK

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:16:55 PM »

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 09:17:41 PM »
 I am talking about something in which to keep a cleaning rod. In March I'm taking a hunting trip to deep SW Texas for 5 days  where there will be no going to town. I'd like to shoot  BP and have a cleaning rod at me disposal and have the option to at least patch a bore on the fly.

CHT

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 09:35:59 PM »
Take a pull through, or gust carry a three piece raped in your bed roll.
if a 66 as above but you will have to drill the hole.
Buffalochip

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 09:43:13 PM »
Thanks Coffinmaker. What is "Re: FCK"?

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 09:46:30 PM »
Fox Creek Kid  ;D2
Buffalochip

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 12:00:54 PM »
Isn't that why they invented "Bore Snakes"? Perfect for the BPCR hunter in any calibre. On occasion, I take ''shots of opportunity" and have the need to clean the bore, unless I know the rifle needs a fouling shot to shoot true.
I've also taken a header while carrying a rifle and true to 'Murphy's law", they have a way of landing muzzle first in the snow or dirt. A 'Bore Snake' can save the day.

Take a pull through, or gust carry a three piece raped in your bed roll.
if a 66 as above but you will have to drill the hole.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 12:25:37 PM »
I'd imagine a Boresnake would become near unusable after a few passes down a bore fouled with BP.

Sounds like the Henry butt plate or complete stock is the way to go.

Thanks.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 12:58:34 PM »
CHT,

There are butt plates in both carbine and rifles that have the trap door built into them for the cleaning rods.
But, what is also important is that the butt stock also need to be drilled out to allow the cleaning rod to fit inside.
I have never tried to alter a butt plate or finished stock to meet your request for info.
For my money, I would just try replacing butt plate and stock with these options.

I am not fond of the bore snakes myself, but they can be washed and cleaned between usage.

One other thing you may wish to consider, is how often will you be going on hunts like you have suggested?
If your planning on doing this a lot, I would suggest replacement of the butt plate, shock and cleaning rod.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 04:57:20 AM »
Cholla, I hunt that country , no what Ya say about not going to town! If you do drill the stock , drill it with a rigid set-up. The depth required for the repo cleaning rods in scary close to the rear tang and wrist area ! But you should be able to do it OK . Would need a bit of inleting around the trap spring area also. Be mine i'd get a Henry butplate and drill it. Going after Turkey and Hog are Ya? What neck of the rocks are you gonna be hunting ? I'll be in that part of Tx. doing a bit of Turkey/Hog hunting about that time . pic. a bit small but you can see where the hole stops. Good Luck ,,,,,DT

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 09:40:30 PM »
I'd imagine a Boresnake would become near unusable after a few passes down a bore fouled with BP.

Sounds like the Henry butt plate or complete stock is the way to go.

Thanks.

A lot of work for very little gain.  Plus why would anyone want a cleaning rod ratttling around if they are hunting?  All you need to do if a boresnake gets fouled with BP is rinse it under a warm water faucet.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 10:03:56 PM »
Cholla, I hunt that country , no what Ya say about not going to town! If you do drill the stock , drill it with a rigid set-up. The depth required for the repo cleaning rods in scary close to the rear tang and wrist area ! But you should be able to do it OK . Would need a bit of inleting around the trap spring area also. Be mine i'd get a Henry butplate and drill it. Going after Turkey and Hog are Ya? What neck of the rocks are you gonna be hunting ? I'll be in that part of Tx. doing a bit of Turkey/Hog hunting about that time . pic. a bit small but you can see where the hole stops. Good Luck ,,,,,DT

Thanks for the tips. I don't mind working with stocks, drilling, inletting, etc. I've been eying some original '73 Winchester buttplates with the sliding brass door. There are some listed on eBay for a little this side of $100. I may take one of the buttplates off one of my old '73's and see if it is close to fitting the Uberti. A side by side comparison leads me to believe they're very similar.

It will be my first trip, it's somewhere around Sanderson and we'll be hunting javelina. Pretty much the same kind that live on the ranch behind me and raid my feeder! But I'm really looking forward to the trip and the camaraderie.

CHT

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 10:13:31 PM »
A lot of work for very little gain.  Plus why would anyone want a cleaning rod ratttling around if they are hunting?  All you need to do if a boresnake gets fouled with BP is rinse it under a warm water faucet.

Thanks, but as I stated in the original post, I'm seeking input from those who might have experience in this area, not opinions on whether or not I should do it. Besides, I don't see the practicality of carry water and a pot to heat it in into the mountains with me.

CHT

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 06:15:06 AM »
Cholla if you have never hunted it,  you are gonna like the Sanderson country , some of the wildest country in Texas. I have a place South of old 90. 28 Mi S/W of Sanderson , and 3.5 mi. North of the Rio. Great Mule Deer country , some Elk and Aoudad. Bring your High Tops lot of Dog Cholla down there. ,,,,,DT

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 07:37:03 AM »
 Yeah I'm REALLY looking forward to it!

CHT

Offline sail32

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 10:09:22 AM »
Have a look for a German WW 2 Kar-98 cleaning kit.

They come in a small flat plastic box with a aluminum beaded pull  through, oil bottle , etc.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 12:10:32 PM »
  Thanks, but as I stated in the original post, I'm seeking input from those who might have experience in this area, not opinions on whether or not I should do it. Besides, I don't see the practicality of carry water and a pot to heat it in into the mountains with me.

CHT

Been there and done that with butt plates.  You can either buy a repro Henry trapdoor (or parts) and adapt that.  What I have advised people to do is go to Ebay and look for trapdoor buttplates or parts.  This one is rough, but you can do your own search. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winchester-1873-Trap-Door-Butt-Plate-Buttplate-Unfinished-Casting-2610-/141525006713?hash=item20f38c3979:g:KR4AAOSwg3FUo0gW

By the way, if you don't like opinions why would you post something on the internet?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 01:52:02 PM »
By the way, if you don't like opinions why would you post something on the internet?

Don't mind opinions at all, when I ask for them.

CHT

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 05:29:54 PM »
  Don't mind opinions at all, when I ask for them.

CHT

Now THAT will win you a lot of friends here!!  ::) 

There are a mere handful of people here who usually have correct answers to a cornucopia of gunsmithing questions with Pettifogger easily being IMO one of those. When he speaks you should listen closely and absorb the knowledge he shares. Now would be a good time to apologize, lest he never help you again.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com