CAS TOPICS > The Darksider's Den

Not enough Mayhem! We needed a barfight or a poll (I settled for a poll)

<< < (2/5) > >>

Professor Marvel:
Oh and the unit of measure was originally drams, and later became grains

One grain is 1/7000 of an avoirdupois pound, or 0.065 gram

Difference between apothocary/chemistry measurement and jewler/gunmakers

I cannot recall if there is any documentation confirming or denying that the “grain” was baed on the weight of any sort of Seed.

Yhs
Prf mumbles

Hair Trigger Jim:

--- Quote from: Professor Marvel on April 07, 2024, 05:25:36 AM ---Oh and the unit of measure was originally drams, and later became grains

One grain is 1/7000 of an avoirdupois pound, or 0.065 gram

Difference between apothocary/chemistry measurement and jewler/gunmakers

I cannot recall if there is any documentation confirming or denying that the “grain” was baed on the weight of any sort of Seed.

Yhs
Prf mumbles

--- End quote ---

"Grain" is sometimes said to be wheat, but I got no documentation here at the breakfast table.

Froogal:

--- Quote from: Hair Trigger Jim on April 07, 2024, 07:38:31 AM ---"Grain" is sometimes said to be wheat, but I got no documentation here at the breakfast table.

--- End quote ---

I need to check with my LEE reloading manual again, but I'm pretty sure that it defines a "grain" as being equal to a grain of barley.

Advertising:

Coffinmaker:

:) Well  ;)
If the origin is indeed a "grain" of Barley, tiz indeed a noble denomination.  As you must concede, Barley is usually converted to Beer.  In a similar situational analysis, Caffeine is normally converted to Code.  SO:

Has always been my position (Soft Recliner) that measuring Gun Powder has always started with an initial "weight" which was then converted to a "Volume" resulting in some form of simple scoop to dispense a volume equivalent in weight of Gonne Powder.  The beauty of which is an error, plus or minus a few "grains" or "ounces" in cannon speak, is mostly inconsequential, so long as there is no bore obstruction.

This discussion can also, in some realms, be compared to "The Chicken or The Egg".  Since nobody ever documented Which of that came first, and we have documentation the early ballisticians (didn't know they were ballistitions) began with a specific weight of Gonne Powder, well there you have it.  Mostly.  Almost.  Sort of.  Burma Shave

Mako:
Coffin Maker,
I think you misheard (misread) or intentionally misunderstood the question.  We were not talking about beer, yet your mind immediately went there.

~Mako

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version