Author Topic: Tabasco Bore Cleaner? Huh?  (Read 4303 times)

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Tabasco Bore Cleaner? Huh?
« on: September 29, 2019, 08:41:55 PM »
 :o ??? Whata' talking about Choker? Waallll'-This will pertain more for smokeless powder shooters, but can work for the black powder shooters to, but the oil based solvents and black aren't real cozy with each other.  Back in the 60's when as a wee lad I started shooting and hunting, cleaning the bore and other areas in need were accomplished with various bore cleaners, mostly possibly good Ol' Hoppe's #9. Worked good and I still use and like the smell of. Back in those days and I'm not sure when Hoppe's changed the formula, It smelled different-better I think. I called them once and they claimed they hadn't changed the formula, can't tell me, they either added or deleted something. I've had other's tell me so also, have read others opinions. Anyway still like the smell it leaves in the air, on my hands, minor residue on clothing, etc.

Anyway, that's not what my post is about. Back sometime ago, Hoppe's used a small glass bottle with a rather small neck at the top where ya poured a bit out onto a patch. Remember those?  Sometime back, some bright mind decided shooters wanted or needed a widemouth bottle, which is mostly plastic now. Hate those bottles as a few times I've knocked them over on the bench with the lid off and Hoppe's is everywhere, not to mention the waste. At least the small necked version didn't spill out as fast. Anyone ever cleaning a firearm I suspect has tipped over their bore cleaner no matter the brand. Always wish Hoppe's would come back with the small necked bottle, liked using it better anyway vs the widemouth, more control on how much ya wanted on the patch. For probably a dozen years I've bought Hoppe's in a large 32 oz bottle and poured it in one of several of the plastic widemouth bottles I saved. Around five years ago I came upon a Old Time Hoppe's gun cleaning kit with a unopened 'original' bottle of the old stuff. Was like finding King Tuts treasure. Still use it sometimes to relish the original oder.

One bright and sunny morning around a year ago, after finishing some scrambled eggs in which my MO is to squirt some catsup on them and then dribble genuine Tabasco sauce on them (mighty tasty), I was cleaning up my mess in the kitchen. I had used the last of the Tabasco, hence a empty glass bottle with a narrow neck having a small opening. Thought to meself, bet that would make one fine container for my Hoppe's. Socked the bottle to get the label off and after it dried, filled it with good Ol' Hoppe's #9 and have been a happy gun cleaner since. Ya can dribble as much as ya want on a cleaning patch, never the to much after dipping in a widemouth bottle or trying to pour a small amount on a patch and getting enough to swab one of the sixteen inch guns on the USS Iowa. Ya happen to knock the open bottle over, very little gets out before ya can set it back upright. I'm hooked on em, have another empty one sitting with my cleaning stuff, ready to be used for another concoction.

One and only one tough issue with them. They're a bear to fill. Having a small opening, you just can't pour direct from the 'mother bottle' into them. The first time I filled one, I had a very small funnel the Mrs advised came from some long forgotten Barbie doll house kitchen. The funnel fit right into the Tabasco bottle hole and if ya poured slow enough, the Hoppe's wouldn't back up. Well, after using that a few times, it got lost, so I tried making a funnel out of several layer's of heavy duty aluminum foil. Worked pretty good, but had some dribble. What I've used around the last three times is I cut a Pepsi can up fashioning sort of a V trough with a sharp crease out of a small rectangular section. As with the small funnel, I wrapped an old towel around the bottle and secured them in the vise on my bench. Prevents tips and holds the bottle nice and secure. Holding the V shaped trough with one of the ends slightly off center I pour the Hoppe's into the bottle. Takes a bit, but works, 99.9% goes in, but is slow. Liked the little funnel a lot better and will preserve in trying to find another or a better means, but it's worth having the small neck bottle with a small opening where 'you' can determine how much of the solvent, not gravity, goes on the patch. Just passin on, got windy, but hey, this way is quicker for ya to be informed about the procedure than me calling ya up on the telephone where I'd start BSin' about a whole bunch of other stuff, wastin yer time, not that I'm windy. Just a tidbit of interest for those of you who dislike the widemouth solvent bottles.   ;D ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: Tabasco Bore Cleaner? Huh?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 10:02:41 PM »
Why thanks My Good Monsieur Choker, great idea!

if you are in need of funnels, over here
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G703K18/ref=psdc_13840241_t1_B00HZT1CII

they have some, claim the tip is 1/8 OD

yhs
prf mvl
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 09:33:11 AM »

Well .... OK   :o

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:12:41 PM »

Offline ol coot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 09:44:11 AM »
  CC,
Try a  hypodermic syringe.
My Lord is my shepard, my bible is my guide, my horse is my partner, my colt's on my side.  
RGA#684
RAT#514
Storm#370
SASS#46209

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 09:54:50 AM »
This thread is kinda...... funnel  ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 10:51:59 AM »
Will a Coke can work as well as Pepsi ...  ???
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 12:04:38 PM »
Will a Coke can work as well as Pepsi ...  ???
Only if it's empty   ;D

CC,

Now there's a thought. I have a large capacity one that I've used for years to 'water' my guitar humidifiers with. Fill it with distilled water and shoot a  little in each hole of the sound hole humidifier.  Have to try and get another and give it a try. Those funnels the Professor added a link on from Amazon, while pricey, may work.  ;D

This thread is kinda...... funnel  ;D

;D ;D ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 10:34:03 AM »
  CC,

Actuality tried the 2 tsp. oral syringe I use for injecting water into my acoustic guitar sound hole humidifiers for a fit and they'll would 'work like a charm'. Have to get another one as my current one wouldn't work for both the Hoppe's and H20. Thanks for the suggestion 'ol coot'. Jubal Starbuck advised me he uses the small 1-2 oz sample liquor bottles available for the purpose. Have to do something with the fluid that comes in them. Don't know what I'd do with that.  The little booze bottles would work to vs the wide mouth smaller bottles sold retail or if using a larger 16-32 oz bottle.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 05:24:26 PM »
Well .... OK   :o

use that tabasco sauce in any quantity it will definitely clean your bore ;D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 05:33:48 PM »
Don't tell the youth of today you are reusing something, confuses the hell out of them.

Recently in a Civil War cooking group for civilians someone had used an old recipe for essence of coffee.  Basically very strong coffee boiled down with sugar in it as a form of instant coffee.  For those who don't know, the sugar keeps it from molding.

Well the poor person was desperate because the recipe didn't tell where to store it.  Several explained you reused a bottle that had came with something else in it, but since no one could document it that wasn't good enough.

Some of us call that kind "so historically correct the are incorrect."   I just call it lack of common sense.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 10:10:16 PM »
GET A BIGGER BOTTLE OF Red hot sauce with the flip cap ..Easy to fill and you still got the small hole in the cap.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 08:17:23 PM »
Don't tell the youth of today you are reusing something, confuses the hell out of them.

Recently in a Civil War cooking group for civilians someone had used an old recipe for essence of coffee.  Basically very strong coffee boiled down with sugar in it as a form of instant coffee.  For those who don't know, the sugar keeps it from molding.

Well the poor person was desperate because the recipe didn't tell where to store it.  Several explained you reused a bottle that had came with something else in it, but since no one could document it that wasn't good enough.

Some of us call that kind "so historically correct the are incorrect."   I just call it lack of common sense.

Empty Whiskey or wine bottle.

If provenance is demanded, point them to the first "canned peas" ( technically bottled peas! ) which were stored in champaign bottles and supplied to Napolean's Army.
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 11:31:54 PM »
There reaches a level with this sort it's best to leave them to their own devices.

Ever read a book called Confederates in the Attic?

It's the story of a Confederate reenactor that is so historically correct he's incorrect a lot of the time.

The funniest part of them is they go to the store and buy modern salt pork not understanding what issue salt pork was all about.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 08:36:01 AM »
GET A BIGGER BOTTLE OF Red hot sauce with the flip cap ..Easy to fill and you still got the small hole in the cap.

Could be done with no problem, but I like the small bottles of Tabasco, lasts quite a while as I'm the only one using the stuff, unless my son visits and the smaller bottle fits better in the container I keep on the bench with other gun cleanin items and needs.  I did stop at the pharmacy where if we do need any meds we buy them and  asked the gal at the counter about the small oral syringes. Told her what I wanted them for-waterin my acoustic geetars and fillin small hole Tabasco bottles with Hoppes #9. She laughed and advised that was a first, anyway gave me two of the things (10 ml capacity), no charge.  ;D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 10:04:16 AM »

Never ceases to amaze.  Comments of a Hysterical Bent are always derided unless there is an irrefutable paper trail.  Sometimes wonder if those Hysterical Buffoones would deny the existence of poop without an acceptable "paper trail."   :o

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 07:20:03 PM »
Never ceases to amaze.  Comments of a Hysterical Bent are always derided unless there is an irrefutable paper trail.  Sometimes wonder if those Hysterical Buffoones would deny the existence of poop without an acceptable "paper trail."   :o

That is fun to ask them to document poop.

Ask about babies on time and proof of how the got there, let it ride for a few days and then because pictures are acceptable even drawings, we used period drawings and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the stork brought them.🤣
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com