Author Topic: Scratches on brass after loading into an 1892 leveraction  (Read 747 times)

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Scratches on brass after loading into an 1892 leveraction
« on: February 27, 2023, 04:42:15 PM »
Do you see longitudinal scratches on your brass when loading into a Win or Rossi 1892 designed rifle?

I have seen these types of scratches from Rossi rifles, on my brass, no matter the caliber.  Understand I reload all my brass and am concerned that these scratches will affect the life of my brass or scratch my dies.  I have never seen these types of scratches on my toggle-link 1866 or 1873 rifle designs, so this is all new to me.

Are they a concern to others?

Thanks for your comments.
Black River Smith

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
Re: Scratches on brass after loading into an 1892 leveraction
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 06:45:37 PM »
How deep?  I personally wouldn't be too concerned about superficial scratches on the outside of the brass.  I would wonder where they came from, though.  Maybe getting scratched going through the loading gate?  If so, possibly relieving some sharp edges from the gate or the frame in front of the gate might help.  Just thinking out loud.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 07:02:13 PM »
Although I have never owned one I have heard Rossi rifles are known to have sharp edes around the loading gate. Might check and if there are dull and polish them down.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:44:40 AM »

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 07:18:51 PM »
These scratches are superficial, in that you cannot see or feel a ridge or cut.  They are a rub marks that are visible.  I have not tried polishing them in the vibrator to see if they come out.  I will try that before sizing.  Maybe it is just my concern that they are there in the first place.

Another person gave me the idea of adding a 0.010" brass shim to the loading gate to ease the pressure.  I did this to the 44/40 stainless and it did lighten the scratches but they were still present and that was after polishing everything I could reach.

Thank for the comments.
Black River Smith

Offline Tronicst1

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 08:51:47 PM »
I would not worry about surface scratches on your brass. It already made it through the heat and expansion of the explosion when you fired it without any detrimental
damage. I also would especially  not worry about them scratching your loading dies. I they make it through the sizing step they are probably Ok to continue loading.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4667
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 09:16:20 PM »
I've had 3 of the Rossis, 2 in .357 and 1 in 45. All had very sharp loading gate edges, I would bet this is where you are getting the scrapes.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 07:15:13 PM »
Finally, got the dummy bullets out of the cases and then into the polisher/vibrator, for several hours.  The scratches were not removed.  They are not real deep, just a bad rub mark.  Resizing did not remove them.

Just have to let them go an watch my reloading to see if issues start to be noticed or wait until I strip this rifle down and check for burrs.

Thanks for the comments.
Black River Smith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com