Author Topic: Merwin Hulbert 3rd model loading gate  (Read 437 times)

Offline Oranedward

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Merwin Hulbert 3rd model loading gate
« on: October 23, 2023, 11:28:29 AM »
I have a third model, large frame, double action Merwin Hulbert. It is missing the loading gate. I also have a second model, large frame, single action Merwin Hulbert. They are both in 44-40. I can use the loading gate shape on the single action as a guide to make one for the double action. However, there was a change in how they were attached. Does anyone have a third model that they are willing to take part and show me the back  side of the loading gate so that I can replicate the attachment method that was used at the factory? The second model has a detent ball and a trigger screw that holds in the loading gate. Neither of those are possibilities on the third model.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Merwin Hulbert 3rd model loading gate
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 05:12:46 PM »
Most guys aren't all that interested in disassembling their revolvers for fear of losing/breaking parts, and spare parts reside in other folks' guns, who are quite proud of them.

If you're still looking for an answer for this question - look at 'Gunsmithing the Guns of the Old West' by Dave Chicoine.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 09:17:19 PM »
Sorry I can't help you as much as I'd like.

Here are some photos of the relevant parts of a 3d model double action (skull crusher).  The gate is externally similar to the single action gates, but the backside is different.  You'll also see the additional tiny screw above the thumb screw.  Unfortunately, the head of my tiny screw has split in half, so I am currently unable to remove it.

From what I can see, on the double action, the thumb screw threads into a small flat spring located in a groove on the underside of the loading gate.  That spring applies pressure to the frame to retard the gate movement.  The small screw extends through the gate at the opposite end of the flat spring and protrudes into the groove in the frame.  It doesn't seem to touch the end of the flat spring or bottom out in the groove, but in a quick look I can't see what it does.

I know this won't give you all you need, but perhaps it will help at least a little.

--DJ

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:49:47 AM »

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 10:29:35 PM »
I have a third model, large frame, double action Merwin Hulbert. It is missing the loading gate. I also have a second model, large frame, single action Merwin Hulbert. They are both in 44-40. I can use the loading gate shape on the single action as a guide to make one for the double action. However, there was a change in how they were attached. Does anyone have a third model that they are willing to take part and show me the back  side of the loading gate so that I can replicate the attachment method that was used at the factory? The second model has a detent ball and a trigger screw that holds in the loading gate. Neither of those are possibilities on the third model.
It's been a month since you've been here so I'm quoting you to hopefully get your attention to some replies. 

And as to Chicoine's book, the expanded 2nd edition that I have only covers the single action M-H.  Good luck.

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 11:39:21 PM »
Wish he'd come back.  Sounds like an interesting project.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 03:44:15 AM »
Some folks seem to sign up on a forum for “one thing”
And then disappear.

Sort of an internet “stranger just passing through, asking about that one eyed one armed six fingered man….

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com