Author Topic: Newbie w/ a couple ??'s  (Read 4476 times)

Offline jcools

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Newbie w/ a couple ??'s
« on: February 01, 2012, 10:51:43 PM »
Hello,I want to get into "cowboy shooting".I have a Pietta 1851 confederate navy 44.I'm thinking of getting another one(so they match).It shoots great!Is this a good gun for the sport?I also want to get a Rossi 38/357 large loop carbine and a 12g coach gun.What do you recommend? Thanks

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
Re: Newbie w/ a couple ??'s
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 11:21:39 PM »
Hwody jcools, the 1851 is fine for the game and a very popular C&B, check out the Darksiders Den for tips on nipples, caps,...etc...etc. The cap and ball is not the easist thing to start with in SASS because of the time involved in reloading for each stage, but once you get a simple routine down it's not a problem. Just work it out where you still have plenty of time to work on the posse shagging brass, reseting targets..etc..etc. The Rossi 92 is a good starter gun, but the big loop lever is not a good choice. The most popular rifle is the Uberti 73 followed by the 1894 Marlin. The beat advice I can give is before you spend one dime on any guns or gear, start going to as many local matches as you can find. Bring what you have, introduce yerself, give the MD a call, often they can have some guns lined up for you to shoot. Try out the different guns before you buy anything, most of us are more than willing to let you try our gear. Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline jcools

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 11:31:58 PM »
May I ask why you don't recommend "large loop" ?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:18:54 PM »

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:20:42 AM »
Because of the long distance between the loop and the back of your hand, a large loop will be slow to cycle. Folks add lever wraps and short stroke kits to make the movement of the lever hand as short as possible.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 07:49:31 AM »
If you plan to join NCOWS the large loop would not be allowed.  I am not sure about SASS.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:00:57 AM »
ditto what Jefro said about going to some matches before you spend
Mathew 5.9

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 06:43:15 PM »
Hello,I want to get into "cowboy shooting".I have a Pietta 1851 confederate navy 44.I'm thinking of getting another one(so they match).It shoots great!Is this a good gun for the sport?I also want to get a Rossi 38/357 large loop carbine and a 12g coach gun.What do you recommend? Thanks

"The sport" is many things to many people.   As the wise sage suggested above, go to some local matches and find out where your niche is.  Then the "right guns" will call your name. 
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com