Author Topic: Need Guns!  (Read 5700 times)

Offline Rich

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need Guns!
« on: June 29, 2011, 11:40:50 AM »
I'm going to start shooting CAS in the Spring so I'd like to purchase my guns over the Fall/Winter. How is the quality of Cimmaron and Uberti revolvers? Their prices seem very affordable.

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
Re: Need Guns!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 04:03:38 PM »
Most guns sold by Cimmaron are Uberti guns.

I've got an Uberti Schofield and love it. Accurate. Well made. Great gun. I've seen them at gun shows for around $600 - $900. Just look around and you'll find a model or design that you are looking for. Be it a Colt, S&W or other.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 10:46:20 PM »
Here's my standard suggestion.
Don't buy any guns until you'd been to several shoots. Take enough revolver/rifle ammo and a box of shotgun shells to matches and try out as many different guns as folks will let you try. Very many people buy a set of guns and soon learn that what they bought is not what they really would like to be shooting. SAA Shooters are real good about sharing. It's a real bitch to buy a new Colt Clone only to learn that what you really want is a S&W #3 Clone, not to mention different Makes with different grips and such.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:51:51 AM »

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 11:05:35 PM »
What Shotgun has said is very wise advice.

Besides, it's fun to go check out the groups and see how they compete.

Check with SASS, NCOWS and any other CAS groups in your area.

Rick.

Offline Sacramento Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 10:14:47 AM »
Howdy!
 Also decide what draws you to CAS (cowboy action shooting).  Are you interested in the history of the Old west?  Maybe did Civil War re-enacting or mountain man? Perhaps you're  a Hollywood western fan and want to emulate you film/TV heros?  Or maybe you're interested in the competition?  The guns/gear are VERY different for each of these; for instance, what I wear as an period correct 1880's cowboy/outlaw will NOT work for a highly competitive shooter. 
There's something else you need to consider; when you ask for opinions on a CAS wire regarding guns/gear (ESPECIALLY the SASS wire); 98% of the replies will be from competitive types who will automatically assume that you are in it for the competition, and answer accordingly, without giving a thought to the possibility there might be another reason for your interest...

Offline Rich

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 10:50:24 AM »
Howdy!
 Also decide what draws you to CAS (cowboy action shooting).  Are you interested in the history of the Old west?  Maybe did Civil War re-enacting or mountain man? Perhaps you're  a Hollywood western fan and want to emulate you film/TV heros?  Or maybe you're interested in the competition?  The guns/gear are VERY different for each of these; for instance, what I wear as an period correct 1880's cowboy/outlaw will NOT work for a highly competitive shooter. 
There's something else you need to consider; when you ask for opinions on a CAS wire regarding guns/gear (ESPECIALLY the SASS wire); 98% of the replies will be from competitive types who will automatically assume that you are in it for the competition, and answer accordingly, without giving a thought to the possibility there might be another reason for your interest...

I would say it's a bit of everything that draws me to it but I know my competitive side will take over as it does with everything.

Offline Sacramento Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 08:26:53 PM »
Howdy!
 If competition is the draw, get 38/357 caliber guns, and think about action jobs etc. You might also want to look into getting Rugers as opposed to colt clones, as they're tougher/more durable, and will handle the extensive shooting and practice that goes along with being competitive.

Offline Sam Cobra

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 01:28:35 PM »
Good thread!  I am a newbie to CAS and have a lot of the same questions.  I currently have a new Ruger Vaquero and an inexpensive  holster/rig. and that is pretty much it.  I have done a bit of on-line research and have visited one match as watched.  I am mostly interested in the old west and not really into being a serious competitor.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 01:40:56 PM »
Ya don't need ta be a serious competitor, its a lot of fun just ta participate. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 08:49:18 PM »
Good thread!  I am a newbie to CAS and have a lot of the same questions.  I currently have a new Ruger Vaquero and an inexpensive  holster/rig. and that is pretty much it.  I have done a bit of on-line research and have visited one match as watched.  I am mostly interested in the old west and not really into being a serious competitor.

Well if you just like dressing as authentic to the old west as you can and shooting with a fun group of people who look like they just walked out of a picture from the 1880s then check out NCOWS. We don't do race guns and do shoot for fun not speed. We believe that to dress in a more reenactor or authentic way and try to learn the history of the period is more fun than paying big bucks to buy the guns and pay to modify them so they shave seconds off your speed. We are into shooting for fun not for racing. But that's what I love about NCOWS.
Rick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com