Author Topic: Vetterli help?  (Read 17708 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
Vetterli help?
« on: March 26, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
I have the opportunity to pick up a converted-to-centerfire Vetterli. I have always been fascinated by their look.

Has anyone some guidance or info for me?
I have read that both .348 Winchester and 8mm Lebel cases could be modified, and Lee has a mold for a .341? I'm going to assume it would be a black powder arm?

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Vetterli help?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:03:50 AM »
Here's a site with some info on the rifles and some on cartridge making you might check out.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »
Here's a site with some info on the rifles and some on cartridge making you might check out.

Link did not copy, JimBob.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:38:44 PM »

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 06:01:13 PM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 07:47:54 PM »
THe Lee 338 mold usualy drops right around .340.

http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/rifle-bullet-molds/bullet-mold-double-cavity

However, I suspect you really meant .430?  In which case the Lee 430-310 gas check should be just right.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 08:18:17 PM »
Probably the .430. Found an article that the author uses the same slug he loads in his .44magnum revolver.
Also uses another source that casts a .44 320 gr. sized to .431. Buffalo Arms sells converted Winchester .348 brass, although kinda pricey.

Oh well, I'm bit hard.

Educate me on why and wherefore of gas checks . . . article does not mention the use of gas checks at all. Here I was hoping it was as easy as loading the case full of Black Powder, seating and crimping then shooting and smiling.

RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 08:25:15 PM »
I have no personal experience with them, but from what I've read, the loading can be a bit tricky to get right. The overall length is critical, since it doesn't have a cartridge stop, like a '73 Winchester. I suggest searching on SurplusRifleforum, there's quite a bit there on them. One member, NormSutton, posts lots of detail abouty them.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 08:30:04 PM »
I also read the history and seems it was never used in any wartime action. I guess I'd have to be very free-lance portrayal, such as an infantryman in the service of the Duchy of Grand Fenwick or similar.

RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 10:35:16 PM »
I haven't had a chance to look anything up yet(trying to do taxes). I seem to remember problems with gettingt the right bullet to stabilize, while still being able to load it to the proper overall length. Some were experimenting with varing the case length, to get it to work with the available bullets.

If you use one in a match, you could change the line at the beginning of every stage to something like"Don't shoot, I'm NEUTRAL!!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 08:57:50 AM »
I also read the history and seems it was never used in any wartime action. I guess I'd have to be very free-lance portrayal, such as an infantryman in the service of the Duchy of Grand Fenwick or similar.

RCJ

How about an Ensign in the Swiss Navy?

BTW, Jules Sandoz a Swiss native and father of author Marie Sandoz, imported dozens of those into Nebraska in the 1890's for resale to other settlers.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 03:36:44 PM »
John:

Assuming you are speaking of the Swiss Vetterli rifle, that was because Switzerland was never an aggressor, and nobody seems to have reckless enough to try to invade!

On the other hand, if it is an Italian Vetterli you have a chance to get ..... I think you'd look quite impressive in a uniform like this!

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 05:42:27 PM »
Since it's a "converted to centerfire" one, then it's Swiss, Italians were always centerfire. Completely different design, about the only thing in common is the appearence of the back end of the bolt.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 06:16:50 PM »
How about an Ensign in the Swiss Navy?

BTW, Jules Sandoz a Swiss native and father of author Marie Sandoz, imported dozens of those into Nebraska in the 1890's for resale to other settlers.

Then I'll be a Nebraska farmer with his Vetterli and Colt Open Top . . .

You'll send me link to that documentation, of course.

RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 06:21:18 PM »
It's Swiss, 10.4 X 38R.
The Italian's all seemed to be 10.4 X 47R.

RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 07:05:43 PM »
Then I'll be a Nebraska farmer with his Vetterli and Colt Open Top . . .

You'll send me link to that documentation, of course.

RCJ

I'll see if I can find my copy of Old Jules by Marie Sandoz, that's where I got it.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »
I guess I'd have to be very free-lance portrayal, such as an infantryman in the service of the Duchy of Grand Fenwick or similar.

I'm not sure about that. As I recall the Duchy of Grand Fenwick was still armed in a medieval fashion well into the 20th century. This may have changed somewhat since the appointment of High Constable Tully Bascomb.  ;)

George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 07:26:28 PM »
 ;)

Well, they do have the absolute best nuclear device obtainable. One that is broken and doesn't work.

RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 07:30:39 PM »
You could always be a Swiss Guardsman.  Though you always see them with their halberds, they have always kept rifles close by, and they were used in anger during the Italian unification. Too early for Vetterli's, but the idea is there.

I personaly like the Duchy of Grand Fenwick idea myself.  Limited only by your imagination.  Did'nt Grand Fenwick have a Navy?  A lake along one border, with a boat perhaps, armed with surplus Vetterli's?   ;D
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 08:58:13 PM »
Imagine the possibilities for ducal uniforms!
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 10:24:45 PM »
I think a sodbuster up along the Runningwater in Nebraska would still be the best bet. 

http://www.northshire.com/siteinfo/bookinfo/9780803293243/0/
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com