Author Topic: Stovebolts, Flatheads and Mutts, old iron that moves you.  (Read 17027 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Stovebolts, Flatheads and Mutts, old iron that moves you.
« on: February 10, 2012, 03:42:52 PM »
(This thread got started pretty much by accident, so have fun with it!) 

Yeah Del, tomorrow my son and I are heading to KC to pick up a full pressure 235 to rebuild.  We'll put the original 235 babbit pounder in the back of the shop for future preservation.  Its in great shape actualy, (I don't think this thing has 20,000 miles on it) but this truck will see regular use, I"d rather have HP oil to the rods.

Its a 1.5 ton with a 4 speed crash box, and a manual shift Timken 2 speed rear axle.  We're gonna have fun with the new(er) engine with some Offenhauser manifolds, dual Carter W-1s and an optimized cam.  Stylish way to haul the hay.   Bottom picture is actual truck.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 1945 Chevy 1.5 ton
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 04:47:25 PM »
Great looking truck.   you'll  get  some double clutch and split shift practice, that's for sure.  Good idea going with preasurized oil system.  My dad got a 56 2ton with a 265 v8 that didn't have  alot of mileson it  It didn't last too long once pressed into heavy grain and livestock hauling.  he replaced it with a 4bolt 350 and didn't look back.  My brother still uses it regular.  Ya drivng it out to the muster? ;D  at least bring progress pics. 
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 05:14:03 PM »
Is that the same or similar to the 30 Cwt. Chevys used by the Long Range Desert Group?

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Advertising

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 05:17:12 PM »
Very nice, in my youth I had a 49 Chevy 2 door with a 59 235, stock but that was up about 125 hp by then.  Those had 4.11's in the rear and it would smoke them, went pretty goot if the linkage for the 3 on the tree didn't hang up between 1st and 2nd, a problem with those.  Fix was simple, shut it off, open the hood and put them in neutral and you were ready to go again.  
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 05:26:24 PM »
Yes Books, its pretty much the same, though without the cool Lewis and Vickers accessories . . .

My son has been out on the farm with it practicing his double clutch technique.  I grew up on trucks like this, but he got the hang of it pretty quick.  Commented on how 1st thru 3rd sounded like an air raid siren.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »
I'm still up on the double clutching, my beast has a bad sycro in second and I do some 3rd to second in town.   ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 08:21:37 PM »
That's pretty cool! At one time I was driving a '53 one ton, at the time I parked it due to lack of availability/funds for the 6  7.50X18 tires I needed. It had a 235 I had overhauled, and a 4 speed. It's too short to haul a John Deere B, though-only about 8 1/2 foot bed.

I built up a truck for someone else, I think about a '50 or 51, changed out the 216 for a 235. If I remember right, I had to relocate the radiator forward, because the 235 is a bit longer, but I heard later they made a shorter water pump to make it work without moving the radiator.(memory is a bit fuzzy, was about 25 years ago)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 08:33:22 PM »
That's pretty cool! At one time I was driving a '53 one ton, at the time I parked it due to lack of availability/funds for the 6  7.50X18 tires I needed. It had a 235 I had overhauled, and a 4 speed. It's too short to haul a John Deere B, though-only about 8 1/2 foot bed.

I built up a truck for someone else, I think about a '50 or 51, changed out the 216 for a 235. If I remember right, I had to relocate the radiator forward, because the 235 is a bit longer, but I heard later they made a shorter water pump to make it work without moving the radiator.(memory is a bit fuzzy, was about 25 years ago)

You are correct on that one.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 10:59:22 PM »
Man that brings back memories,my Dad and Uncles ran a trucking business my Grandfather started with teams and wagons.They had 41 models that were identical to that and 47 and 48 models.I've still got a lot of ignition and electrical stuff for those if it's a 6 volt or are you going to convert to 12?

Love those metal dashes and big ol' steering wheels.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 10:54:31 AM »
We're planning on keeping it 6 volt. 

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 07:35:23 PM »
We got a '62 MUTT (M-151) a while back.  It is in need of some sheet metal restoration before putting it in any parades, but I reckon driving it to a Muster oughta be fun.
Most folks look at it and call it a Jeep.  But it is a FORD.

Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 08:00:28 PM »
Yeah, but a lot of the Jeeps were Fords. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 09:10:06 PM »
There is some thought that the term "Jeep" came from the Ford designatin of "GPW".  Willys used "MB" for their version.  I prefer the "Eugene the Magical Jeep" reference from "Popeye" myself . . .

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 10:26:43 PM »
We got a '62 MUTT (M-151) a while back.  It is in need of some sheet metal restoration before putting it in any parades, but I reckon driving it to a Muster oughta be fun.
Most folks look at it and call it a Jeep.  But it is a FORD.

Mustang Gregg
Is that the straight M151 version, or one of the A-1 or later?(I don't remember all the A-variants).The later ones had a re-designed rear suspension, but were still supposed to be real easy to roll over. Fortunately I never had any first hand experience rolling one! When I was in Germany, they all had "speed limit 40MPH" stenciled on the dashboard. All the other trucks were 50. But the one assigned to the motor pool had been worked on a bit....on the Autobahn, you could wind it up untill the needle went past all the numbers on the speedo, till it pointed down where it says "miles" in miles per hour. I think that would be about 85 or so. Lucky thing no MP ever saw one of us doing that.....

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 06:28:37 AM »
Is that the straight M151 version, or one of the A-1 or later?(I don't remember all the A-variants).The later ones had a re-designed rear suspension, but were still supposed to be real easy to roll over. Fortunately I never had any first hand experience rolling one!

I wish I coukd have that same bragging right. The ones we used had no windshields let alone a top. It was just something to hump a M60 with and ammo cans.  Fortunately none including myself had more than a couple of bruises.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 07:34:38 AM »
Yep, it has the early IRS.  Those are "more dangerous" than the later ones, it is said.
The one I used to drive was an '80's model.  Nothing was stencilled about max speed. 
But I made quite a few trips from Buckley ANGB to Ft Carson at Interstate 25 speeds (70+).  Guess I'm lucky.

I reckon it'll be a pasture chore truck for now.
Or VFW parade vehicle if I get it gussied up.

ANYWAY, GOOD LUCK WITH THAT CHEVY TRUCK! 
I didn't mean to highjack your thread.
MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 09:46:50 AM »
Just rename the thread old military iron. ;D

Those MUTTS need weight in the back to be safe, never drove one but looked up how the IRS in them is made.  Kind of like the early Corvair and VW in design but without the weight over it.  In cornering if you don't have enough weight to hold the rear down the wheels will come up too high, have to much negative camber and "tuck."  This can cause it to tip over, and sometimes on over and over and over.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 10:46:32 AM »
They used to show us a saftey video about them. they would drive in a tight circle at about 15MPH, you could see the back end rise, outside wheel beginning to tuck under, inside rear wheel comes up off the ground completely. Easy to see how it would flip at a higher speed.

I always thought those military speed limits in Germany were crazy, nobody paid attention to them anyway. Drving at 40 MPH on the autobahn was more of a hazard than any M151, with all the other traffic whizzing by at 80-100+mph.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 11:34:25 AM »
Ya, the later MUTTs don't have the swing axle, I understand. 
They have a more sophisticated double A-arm system which keeps the tire on the road better during manuvers.

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 12:36:38 PM »
Takes me back, dad had a 52 GMC, (slightly more refined and smoother lines than the 45) may have started out as a 3/4 ton, but had overload springs, he sometimes ran SRW sometimes as a Dually.  He had a flat bed like in the picture.  He would put a 600 gallon spray tank on the flat bed to spray weeds in eastern montana wheat fields spring time.  He also had a GI box that he rigged as a dump truck, hauled stock as well.  When we moved to Phoenix, he traded it to the company he worked for to get a 1960 190D mercedes.  In 71 after I got home from RVN for a short period I worked for the same company.  Got to drive the old truck a couple of times making deliveries to work sights.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com