Author Topic: Span-Am war guys...please check in  (Read 19321 times)

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Span-Am war guys...please check in
« on: August 06, 2009, 09:31:54 PM »
Howdy,

I'm looking to put together a decent mid 1890's to  Spanish-American war outfit and I'm looking for a little input.  I need to do this on a budget so good but lower end gear is where I'm looking.  What I need to know is how close some of the stuff is and how it stands up.

I know some of you guys do a very good Span-Am impression and I'd appreciate your help.

I did have a lot of info book marked but some how lost it all.  Also I did do a search but I was not able to get some specific questions answered.

Coon Creek, they list some things, like a Campaign hat for $59...is this the one that would work for this era?  How does it hold together?  Also the   

CA303 Trousers Price: $55.00
Tan, Cotton Canvas Cavalry Seated 

Is this a M1884 trouser or the lattter ones?  Who has them?  How do they hold up?

If the campaign hat is wrong one, who has one that is better in that price range?

Navy blue pull over blouse..who make a decent reasonably priced one?  I would prefer wool. 

Are the  WW2 pattern leggins the same as the M1884 pattern?  Close enough or way off?

Thanks for any info you guys can give me.

smoke

GAF#379

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Span-Am war guys...please check in
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:50:34 PM »
Start with the M1884 uniform at  www.quartermastershop.com.   Save up for the M1898.  Get the leggings and other accoutrements from Coon Creek. Good folks there.  A good hat can be had a www.hatcrafters.com   Leggings and leather can also be found at www.eureka-arsenal.com  The Coon Creek hat is good, as are many out there, Dirty Billy is the best, but he's expensive, cantankerous, and a long wait.  (I've got one, its excellent, but I had something else to wear while I waited)

The Coon Creek pants are good, but getting a tunic to match is very hard.  The QM shop stuff will all match.  I use Coon Creek for shirts, (The cotton Blue army shirt is excellent in hot weather) leggings, canteens, and other accoutrements.  QM shop for Blouses and pants.  A proper Mills belt can be had at www.ssfirearms.com  Best price I've seen for the Wool shirt is at QM shop, but no wool shirt is cheap anymore.

the WW2 brown leggings are very close, only a "Stitch Counter" would fault them.  Donlt get the olive ones.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 10:00:01 PM »
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:10:09 AM »

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 06:00:14 PM »
So what's the verdict on the AEF Supply M-1899 uniform?
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 05:30:21 PM »

It looks good.  I've got the M1898 Uniform with the eppalets, collar, and cuffs in Artillery Red.  I ordered mine through US History but the label says The Quartermaster Shop, Kimbill, MI.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/Grapeshot_2006/P1010274.jpg
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 08:42:03 PM »
The Quartermaster Shop makes all the uniforms for US History.
GAF #510, STORM #98, GOFWG #126, SSS #211, SBSS #1713, CVV
Life Member: SASS, LSA, ORA, Whittington Center, LSFSC, Founders Club (Gold)
Benefactor Member: NRA and TSRA, Past President TSRA

Offline MUD MARINE

• Brevet Captain, Marine Commander Dept of the Platte
  • Very Active Citizen
  • DeptPlatte, Brevet Capt, USMC, SASS, CFDA, BPCR
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 11:41:27 PM »
The Quartermaster Shop made my period correct 1895-1899 US Marine Corps white (utility) uniform.

It looks great.
:-)

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 07:08:29 PM »
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 07:49:08 PM »

Col. Pitspitr,
my impression from viewing what they show on the website is that it seems late for the Span-Am, . . .more like 1902 or 1905,- but I am not an expert on Span-Am uniforms.
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 09:35:27 PM »
John, what they show is indeed the M1899 Uniform, not seen in Cuba until after the end of hostilities, but used extensivly in the Phillipines and in the 1900 China expidition.  Standard uniform until 1912.  Basicly the same as the M1898, but with the branch colors eliminated but for detachable epulets.  Less colorful, but more field friendly and supply flexible.

Not a uniform for the SAW, as you might say, but if you want to portray the later Conflicts from 1899 to 1901 its the one to have.  For the Spanish American War the best uniforms are indeed the M1884 and M1898.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 09:39:57 PM »
Thanks for your expertise, Don.
RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 09:55:46 PM »
I've started trying to do some research on Span-Am and Philippines, but the local library seemed a bit"deficient" in reading materials on that time pieriod. But in the pictures in the one book I checked out, it seems really hard to tell if the pants are the blue or tan ones. Seems like they all come out the same shade of gray, in those old B&W photos.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 10:52:35 PM »
I kin bring you some books to look at if you want.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 11:32:49 PM »
Col. Pitspitr,
my impression from viewing what they show on the website is that it seems late for the Span-Am, . . .more like 1902 or 1905,- but I am not an expert on Span-Am uniforms.
RCJ

Excellent! tha's actually what I had in mind anyway I was looking for a uniform that could do double duty. One as my "Wild Bunch" uniform and the other as a Philippine Insurrection uniform. The PIW is just inside our time frame, isn't it?

Company "C" 9th US Infantry, the company that built Fort Hartsuff and that we portray here, went on to suffer heavy casulties at Balangiga. In fact at least 2 men who were posted at Fort Hartsuff were at Balangiga.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 07:29:04 AM »
The Phillipine Insurrection ran from 1898 to 1901, and is entirely within our timeline.  Skirmishs/battles with the Moros would run more or less continious until 1911.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 07:59:38 AM »
Thanks Col.
For some reason I had it in my head that the Balangiga affair was in 1902 which would have made it right at the end of our time frame. This is one time when I'm glad I was wr,...wr,...wr,... incorrect;)

And by the Punitive Expedition into Mexico they'd have been wearing the 1912... so I'm not going to find a uniform that will really be correct for a double duty, am I.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 08:10:44 AM »
Close, but no cigar!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 03:55:03 PM »
For the Mexican Incursion, Pit, easiest and least expensive to to to Coon Creek and get the brown shirt, Johdpurs, then all you need are the Montana peak hat, leggings and brown shoes.  Collar insignia, belt, holster and 1911.

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 04:23:48 PM »
I've started trying to do some research on Span-Am and Philippines, but the local library seemed a bit"deficient" in reading materials on that time pieriod. But in the pictures in the one book I checked out, it seems really hard to tell if the pants are the blue or tan ones. Seems like they all come out the same shade of gray, in those old B&W photos.

Actually during this time frame they would have been wearing both.  Although the 1884 was dark tan and the 1898 was Khaki the regular Army units in the SAW mostly wore the skyblue pants, tan leggings and the dark blue shirts, coats would have been blue.  Some of the volunteer units were outfitted completely in the 1884 dark tan pants and coats , tan leggings and the dark blue shirts with some officers having the new Khakai 1898.  Most all would have been wearing the light color field hat although some may have had the brown helmets.  Starting with the 1899 Khaki uniform more units were outfitted with the khaki.
Scout (who's working on a staff 1898 uniform, thus the research) 8) 8)

ps: you might want to check out this site http://www.spanamwar.com/

GAF #510, STORM #98, GOFWG #126, SSS #211, SBSS #1713, CVV
Life Member: SASS, LSA, ORA, Whittington Center, LSFSC, Founders Club (Gold)
Benefactor Member: NRA and TSRA, Past President TSRA

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 04:56:31 PM »
Depends:  In Cuba, most of the regulars went in with the 1884 Canvas uniforms, with most of the state and volenteer units in the Dark blue wool blouse and sky blue pants.  M1898 Kahkis were distributed to units on the line sometime after the San Juan hieghts were taken. July 10 seems the date most often mentioned.  The mistaken impression of mostly wool uniforms (And Trapdoors!) in Cuba was caused by the overwhelming press coverage of the 71st New York, the only state unit to see significant action in Cuba.  The 1st USV were the only Non Regulars to sortie with the lighter canvas uniforms, thanks to a determined effort by Leonard Wood.

8th Corp dispatched to the phillipines was mostly state units in blue.  The few regulars sortied are usualy seen in the 1884 trousers and blue shirt.  As later units transitioned to the Phillipines they were issued the 1899, with the same uniforms shipped to units allready deployed.  The SpanAm site is very good, but it does repeat a number of "myths" of the war,  Most of it was written during the 1998 centennial year, and a lot has been learned since then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com