Author Topic: New Skiving Knife  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
New Skiving Knife
« on: June 15, 2022, 08:16:40 PM »
For years, I've used a lot of different knives for skiving, never being completely satisfied with any of them. In the following photo, mostly the round knife and the one to the right of it have been pretty much my go-to knives for the job.

Today I made one to use just for skiving. The material used was piece of a circular saw blade left over from when I made my round knife. I shaped it with a peanut grinder and roughed in the edge with my 90 RPM water bath knife grinder. It throws water all over the place but it works great. At first I made it with a straight cutting edge but it was not very good. The center of the cutting edge wouldn't cut completely through a piece of leather without the point or heel digging into the work bench. I put a curve to the edge and it works much better. It's only ground from one side so I can get down low with it if needed. I'll try it for a while and if it works good, I'll fashion some kind of handle on it. The hardest thing is going to be protecting the edge when it's in the toolbox. Maybe I can find something to cover just the cutting edge or something.

I see Osborne has a couple different knives that would work but I didn't want to wait for one to arrive and this scrap of saw blade has been getting in the way for a few years. It was a good excuse to get a knife and get rid of an eyesore hanging from a beam in the garage.

So the question comes to mind, what do all of you use for skiving?

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
Re: New Skiving Knife
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 08:43:33 PM »
You'll have to make you a small sheath for it to cover the blade portion. It's always so satisfying working with tools you made yourself. Nice work Marshall
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 09:22:04 PM »
I use a Tandy skiver, sort of a cross between a plane and a safety razor I guess. It has replaceable blades, and is pretty simple. I appreciates that.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:06:34 AM »

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 12:28:56 AM »
You'll have to make you a small sheath for it to cover the blade portion. It's always so satisfying working with tools you made yourself. Nice work Marshall
Thanks, Cliff. Yes, working with tools you make is totally satisfying. As a bonus, you know they aren't made in China. I'm thinking about what to do for a sheath. Probably leather. Also it's going to need a handle of some sort on it. That will keep the knife from going too far into a sheath and cutting any stitching.

Capt, those Tandy skivers are interesting. I haven't tried one but  expect they would work well. Simple is a plus with most things.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 08:14:03 AM »
You are a man with many talents when it comes to tools and making what you need.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 09:07:53 AM »
Thanks, Rube. Been making or modifying tools all my life. It comes in handy when you want something that isn't available or at least not available quickly.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 11:45:56 AM »
I don't like sharp things lying around the workbench loose so yesterday I glued some scraps of mahogany together and inset a rare earth magnet with a Forstner bit and JB Weld.

This morning, I cut it down with a bandsaw, hit it with sandpaper and a coat of Skidmore's. Made safe with a one-sided sheath.

After trying the knife some, I am not going to put a handle on it because it works quite well like it is.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 12:30:38 PM »
Nice and functional. Now you wont grab the business end on accident while at the bench.

"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 12:39:39 PM »
Nice and functional. Now you wont grab the business end on accident while at the bench.
You got that right. Thanks. I can also put it in a drawer or tool box without trashing it or something else.

Offline PAMuzzleshooter

• Top Active Citizen
    • Powder, Patch and Ball Muzzleloaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 06:27:54 AM »
Wish I had metal working skills like that.  Looks great.  Also, a very functional sheath.
Doug

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 09:45:23 AM »
Wish I had metal working skills like that.  Looks great.  Also, a very functional sheath.
Thank you. Really it isn't all that difficult to make one. You just have to keep it from getting overheated when shaping it.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 03:26:45 PM »
I like the angled skiving knife a lot but there are times when I find I want something like just the center section of a round knife without those big points sticking out on both sides preventing you from choking up on the thing. So I grabbed my last worn out circular saw blade and made one. That gets rid of another worn out saw blade and turns it into something useful. The protective sheath is assembled with rivets so the blade wouldn't cut through any stitching. It was only an 8" blade and there is a hole smack in the middle so I decided to use that to my advantage. Also, it keeps me out of the house which is running 80+ degrees in the afternoons. The garage is only around 65, which works for me. I'm done making knives for a while, now.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2022, 09:52:30 AM »
I like the angled skiving knife a lot but there are times when I find I want something like just the center section of a round knife without those big points sticking out on both sides preventing you from choking up on the thing. So I grabbed my last worn out circular saw blade and made one. That gets rid of another worn out saw blade and turns it into something useful. The protective sheath is assembled with rivets so the blade wouldn't cut through any stitching. It was only an 8" blade and there is a hole smack in the middle so I decided to use that to my advantage. Also, it keeps me out of the house which is running 80+ degrees in the afternoons. The garage is only around 65, which works for me. I'm done making knives for a while, now

Now that is nice. The hole in the blade lined up perfect to allow the snap. Awesome Job!!!

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2022, 11:58:02 AM »
Now that is nice. The hole in the blade lined up perfect to allow the snap. Awesome Job!!!
Thank you, Rube. Besides keeping the knife in the sheath, the snap through it also keeps the blade from getting jammed into the sheath too hard. Added benefit(?): how many knives are there that you can hang on a nail if you want to? ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com