Author Topic: High Shooter  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Doubles

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
High Shooter
« on: December 03, 2020, 10:33:56 AM »
Well, I mosseed on over an picked me up a new pea-shooter - found an EMF New Dakota, 45, 43/4” made by ASM. The dang thing is nickel plated too! Heck, I look like the original Pimp Cowboy with it.  But don’t cha know the darn thing shoots high. Not a little high. We’re takin like a foot at 9 yards. Firing a 255 over 7gr. Of Unique.   So, Ole Buddys, might ya have any words of wisdom fer me as to how I may rectify this situation?  Ain’t no prude, so smart-face responses welcomed also. 

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
Re: High Shooter
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 11:22:22 AM »
Quick-fix #1:  Always aim 12 inches below Your intended target.   

Quick-fix #2:  Get a piece of brass-shim, fold it in half, glue the shim to Your frontsight.
(the folded shim should sit on the frontsight like a saddle sits on a skinny hoss, if'n You get my drift?)

You probably don't want to use too much heat and solder, in fear of ruining the nickel plating.

"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 11:26:56 AM »
I'd first try to determine what load it was regulated for and then decide if that load meets your personal intentions for use of the gun.  If that load does't meet your purposes, I'd say it is gunsmith time to begin again with a full-height sight.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:30:30 PM »

Offline Doubles

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 04:13:57 PM »
Thank you fellas. I believe the only way that pistola is not going to shoot high is if I pull the bullet outta the barrel with a string. I lied about how high it shoots. Was more like 2 feet. Front sight modification warranted.

Would you recon this ta be a common problem, i.e. with the Cimarrons?.

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 05:53:14 PM »
    You might try loading some lighter weight bullets.  A 225 to 230 grain slug should lower your point of impact some.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 07:57:28 PM »
And a 200 grain bullet will print lower still.  What is your sight picture?  Top of front sight even with rear sight?  It is common for these guns to shoot high with 250 gr bullets  as they were originally regulated to be on target at something like 75 or 100 yards.  But I would say that 2 feet high at 9 yards is excessive and not common with any SAA's.

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 03:21:33 PM »
I was going to say the same thing. Although it sounds crazy a lighter bullet will shoot lower.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 06:13:55 PM »
Well, the OP never returned after posting a year ago, so we'll never know.

Lighter bullets hitting lower does seem odd until you think about it.  Lighter bullet equals higher velocity equals not in the barrel as long equals exiting the barrel sooner before recoil raises the barrel as much.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 09:32:08 AM »
Shooting the heavier bullets at higher velocity will also give you a lower POI.  The OP (and anyone else with the same problem) would need to test both lighter projectiles and higher velocities to find the sweet spot for that particular gun and it's fixed sights.

Dave

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 10:14:33 PM »
    You might try loading some lighter weight bullets.  A 225 to 230 grain slug should lower your point of impact some.

I agree. Lighter proj. almost ALWAYS shoots lower in a pistol. Try a 180 or 200gr bullet.

P.S. I agree with The Pineboxman.  Go as light as you can find, like EPPug or even a roundball -if you have 'em.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 11:38:17 AM »

:)  Nah  ;)

None of the above.  Maybe.  Sorta.  There is some Physics involved here.  Primary culprits are Barrel Dwell Time and Weight of Projectile.  It's all based on that "Equal but Opposite" stuff that applies to the Dwell Time as well as Weight of Shot.  So:  MY solution is a lighter projectile.  Lots lighter.  I would go with 165Gr RNFP or even a BARNSTORMER at 130Gr.  I really like the Barnstormer is C45S cases.  Really way cool they are.  And LIGHT.  Lighter is more betterer you betcha.

People are Hazardous to yer Health

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com