Author Topic: Marlin .22 lever actions  (Read 6801 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Marlin .22 lever actions
« on: December 07, 2017, 09:33:11 AM »
Which lever action .22? 
A local shop has a Marlin 39a with golden trigger, says made in USA, looks to be in good condition, the action seems fine but I couldn't really see the bore. They want $450.
A local guy has a Marlin model 97 he guesses was made in the 1910's or 1920's. I haven't seen it yet but he says it has a near mint bore and a good action. He wants $700.
 Can you tell me about these rifles and if they are good quality, prone to breakage, parts availablity, ect.? I would want one to shoot and shoot a lot, not to collect.

PS I wasn't really sure where to put this, mods feel free to move or delete if too off topic.

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Marlin .22 lever actions
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:27:49 AM »
Every time I take a new shooter to the range, I take a half dozen firearms (at least), and they always comment that the Marlin 39 was their favorite gun to shoot.  It is one of my favorites too.

Both prices are very good, assuming condition is also good.

I'd like to seriously suggest you get both of them.  You'll not likely get another opportunity.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 05:12:48 PM »
In Kanuckistan examples of the 39a in VG/Exc condition go for $750, half of what Win 9422's go for in excellent condition. If you have a Marlin "Mountie" you can name your price. Marlin really ought to bring that one back.

My wife has one in great condition she bought for $450 about 10 years ago to compliment her Marlin .357 carbine. I asked her why she wasn't shooting it much and it turns out she did not like the Lyman receiver sight it came with. I liked it because I could hit .22 steel rams at 100m with it.

So I installed a barrel sight of the correct vintage. Now she says she'll shoot it.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:00:29 PM »

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 01:13:59 PM »
Back in the 1960s, my brother and I bought a 39 A for Dad for Christmas.  Dad was a working N.M. rancher that basically spent his life raising sheep and cattle and hunting coyotes.  He kept his guns in the pickup and that's where the rifle went. 

I got the rifle out the other day and it doesn't look like much but it is still incredibly accurate. 

I'm like August.  I'd try and acquire them both.

Billy

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 04:34:08 PM »
     I bought  new 39A Mountie in1962  and it has served me very well ever since.  I owned a 97 for a couple of years and fooiishly let somebody talk me out of it.  Now I wish I still had it.  If it were me I would definitely try to buy both of them.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 06:17:15 PM »
Here's my Model 39 that I bought years ago. I bought it along with a .22 s/s Ruger Vaquero as a practice gun. I really never liked the clunky thick stock or forearm but I did like the lines of the 1897 .22. I contacted Marlin about swapping bbls. Remove the round and install the octogon. They said that they would so I shipped them ths bbled action. When I got it back I trimmed, reshaped and refinished the wood so that it looked like a 97. Turned out real nice. I guess you could say that I owned both.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 09:11:30 PM »
Wow. Sounds like people really like these rifles. I may have to sell a couple guns but I will try to get at least one of them. Thanks for all the great responses.

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 10:41:51 PM »
OK,
So tell the assembled (those that have an extra 39) what you might want to trade for. If you'd prefer, contact us off-line, after all, those of us that 'MIGHT' have a 39 w/scope (ooooooh!) taking up space in the vault may be interested in a sumpin or two or three you might have, hmmmm? Even loading setups, BP, loaded stuff, jist about anything as long as it is in good shape!
Best regards and good shooting, after the trade of course!
'Ol Gabe

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 10:40:40 PM »
Well, I passed on the '97 and got the 39a. Aside from a loose rear sight(the buckhorn part not the actual dovetail part) and a few scratches in the wood it is in excellent condition. I found the rear sight to be too close and thus a little blurry to my eyes. That's no problem because I found a used Lyman aperture sight and put it on. I found the hood on the front sight distracting so I removed it. It shoots great and just feels like a real classic gem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com