Author Topic: SMOK'N DEAL...1893 Marlin for $435!  (Read 2926 times)

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SMOK'N DEAL...1893 Marlin for $435!
« on: October 31, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »
The other night I was looking around the internet's classified section...............DANGER! Will Robinson DANGER!!!!!!

At Kittery Trading Post up in Maine I see a Marlin 1893, "Smokeless Steel", Octagon barrel in 30-30 with pictures that showed it to be in decent shape for $435.00.....The description said it had a crack in the stock. I figured I didn't care what condition it was in, for $435 I could part it out and make a few $$.

So a buddy and I drove the two hours to Maine today to check it out. Well, when they pulled it out of the rack I couldn't believe it. The condition is fantastic! The salesman couldn't believe it was going for so low a price. The internals look excellent and the bore is a strong 8.5 out of 10. Might even be better after a good scrubbing. We couldn't find the crack in the stock! Both forend and stock look great.

So to say I'm a happy camper would be an understatement!

More pictures in photo album here:
www.rvbprecision.com
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: SMOK'N DEAL...1893 Marlin for $435!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 07:24:18 PM »
SWEET! :D ;D :o

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 08:20:57 PM »
Howdy
You are a lucky man . Congratulations on your find .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:16:10 PM »

Offline Chase

• Very Active Citizen
  • ......"it's not the critic who counts"...T.R.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:00:33 PM »
Betting someone mis-priced it.
  Funny but true story.  A couple of years ago, a local gun shop had a Colt SAA on consignment.  It was a second generation 4 3/4" barrel and still had a bit of the original finish.  The asking price was $1300.00 !  I didn't have the cash to blow on a mistake   so I mentioned it to a "friend" to see if he'd check it out and tell me if there was something wrong with the gun.   Old Dave  didn't like the gun shop owner and didn't go look at the gun.
  But my friend did mention the gun to someone else who went to the shop and tried to offer a couple hundred dollars  less than the gun's price tag.  The shop owner called the seller and the seller went ballistic when he heard the offer.  "I'm not coming down 1200.00 on that gun, are you crazy?".  Apparently the shop owner mistakenly made the tag $1300.00 instead of $2300. .  You can debate the honesty of buying it for $1300.00 , but if my greedy friend had bought the gun without question, he'd had a heck of a deal.  The gun sold at the Indy 1500  a week later for the price the owner wanted. 
Chase
NCOWS
NRA
VisionQuest '87 PA to FL via covered wagon
"If everything isn't black and white, I say, "Why the hell not?"--John Wayne

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 05:06:09 AM »
My best "DEAL" ever was a few years ago I was on a business trip and being unable to pass a gun shop without looking around, I stoped in. An elderly lady was selling a shotgun and a rifle. The rifle from a distance looked like a Winchester 52 SPORTER. It looked so perfect I figured it was one of the Japan reproductions of a few years ago. The woman left and I asked to look at the rifle. I almost dies when I realized it was a 99.9% model 52C SPORTER from 1954! I asked the clerk what he wanted and he said since it was in perfect condition he needed to get $600!!!!!!!!!!!. I offered $550 and he accepted.............The next day I was offered $3500 and recently I was offered $6500..............Talk about a "SMOK'N DEAL"

BTW....The Marlin 1893 is on its way to JES Reboring to be turned into a 38-55.............
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com